“Great Location!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plough and Harrow Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Plough and Harrow Hotel
Ranked #85 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Great Location!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

A great location, a short walk away from the city centre and NIA. The downside was we got a room in a far corner of thr hotel and it took endless flights of stairs and corridors yo even reach the reception. The breakfast was included but it was not very nice, very few things on offer and even toasts took a long time to be served( as they served it on the table) it could be due to a big wedding party which had come the previous day, but our experience of breakfast wasnt great, go without abd buy stuff from nearby morrisons for breakfast is my advice. Free parking was an added bonus. All in all it was a decent place to stay with very clean rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your kind comments. I am sorry however if your breakfast wasn't as good as it should be. I will speak with the team as it is generally an area we excel in and with a great selection of both hot and cold items. Thank you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a stay at the Plough & Harrow. I went with a group of friends, for my friends 40th Birthday (Group total is 6 women)
The hotel is easy to find, great location, onsite FREE parking
Very close to Broad Street & The Bullring (short cab rides away)

The old part of the hotel is very nice, and has great features. The accommodation part is a newer build, compared to the old main reception and bar. The rooms however a quite dated, and in need of a spruce up...
However, they are clean and comfortable and offer all that you will need for your stay

We went to attend the murder mystery weekend events, which was great. I would recommend this!
We paid £129 each for the two nights stay, breakfast and evening meal

Talking of food, the food was fantastic. Breakfast was a continental serving, and evening meal was fabulous! Well worth staying onsite for your dinner
The hotel bar is priced as you would expect, however after 11pm, this is not a cash bar, but room tagged bills only.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Monkey_nutz_2010
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments and I am really pleased you enjoyed the weekend. Hope to see you again soon
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We have just returned from a very enjoyable Murder Mystery Weekend. We found the hotel to be in a very good position, easy access to Birmingham, good parking and very friendly staff. I agree with some other comments about the room furniture being dated, but our room was large, bed very comfortable, good linen, large bathroom with plenty of hot water, large towels, nice toiletries and all very clean. Rooms are a distance from reception and maybe there could be a few more signs but overall that wasn't a problem for us. The food was really good and the staff very attentive.
The Murder Mystery was great fun and a lovely way to spend a weekend away.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write and for your comments. I am pleased you enjoyed the weekend and hope to see you again in the not too distant future
newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

I spent three nights in Birmingham staying at this hotel and overall I would rate the whole experience as average.
The hotel itself is a nice old building on the Hagley Road, quite close to Broad Street and close enough for a walk to the Broad Street area of the city and to the Botanical Gardens. It is on one of the main routes into Birmingham and has a bus stop right outside the door and Five Ways Rail station is about 10 minutes walk away.
The bedrooms are in a 1960s/70s built block behind the old building, with the reception, restaurant and bar in the latter. Unfortunately the link between the two is on the 1st floor and there does not seem to be a lift (I've stayed here twice and I haven't found it if there is and nobody has pointed me in its direction) so this is a bit of a bind if you have any amount of luggage or if you have mobility issues.
The decor is tired and really does need tidying up. I'm sure that this hotel was wonderful in 1978, but so was the Ford Cortina and whilst I like them I wouldn't want to have to drive one in the 21st Century. The bedrooms, whilst clean, were worn...the varnish on the unit around the kettle was bleached away by years of hot cups and the drawers could fit better.
The free wifi did not work in my room and so I went to reception as there wasn't a hardline cable in my room and borrowed a very worn example for a deposit of £5. It didn't work and so I took it back to reception...on the good side I got my fiver back, on the bad side there did not seem to be anything the receptionist could suggest other than coming down and using the bar wifi. I tried this the second night but this experience could have been better as, even though the bar was busier than I saw it for the rest of the time that I was there (there were 10 people in it) there was no bar staff and I had to ask at reception if someone could get me a drink. I suggested that I would wait on the terrace as the weather was nice...my drink took over a quarter of an hour to arrive... the explanation "I forgot about you"...at least it was an honest response.
The room service menu is, in my opinion, better and more varied than the restaurant.
In summary...location - good; service - average; decor - tired. Would I stay here again..possibly but I will be looking at alternatives next time I am in Birmingham.

Room Tip: Check if the room they are offering you has the free wifi as not all do
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I can only apologize if there was any problems with the wifi but can confirm all bedrooms are hard wired for internet access with the bars and public areas having wifi. We also provide portable routers that gives wifi in the room. Should you have need assistance just contact reception and a Duty Manager will come to your room. Thanks again for taking the time to write
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

On behalf of my wife i i would like to give a massive thank you to the hotel, we had our wedding here and it was amazing. the staff were great and very very helpful, the rooms were excellent, breakfast the next day was top quality. Once again THANK YOU.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you ever so much for your kind comments. I am really pleased you had a great day and hope to see you again soon
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

The outside of this hotel was very attractive and olde worlde, but the interior of the bedrooms really let it down. The public areas were modern and nice but the bedrooms are well overdue for a makeover (stuck in a 70's timewarp) but they were clean. The location is good, very close to the city centre with free parking. The staff were very helpful and it was abudget price tag at £65 for the night I spent there room only. The beds were too soft for my taste, needed to be renewed.

Room Tip: avoid rooms that are adjacent to the roads as this hotel is situated on a very busy junction. Some o...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BradfordLadyM
Thank you for taking the time to write and for your comments regading service. I will pass them on to the team.
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

I would like to give a huge thanks to all the staff and management who helped make my daughters wedding a day to remember.
One word FANTASTIC!
All the staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough for you and I cannot thank them enough for what they did both on the lead up to the wedding and the actual day itself.
The food served for both the wedding breakfast and the evening buffet was of the highest quality as was the breakfast the following day.
I agree with other comments that the bedrooms aren't brilliant and could do with a lick of paint and a general clean up but to be fair we didn't spend much time in them at all.
One of my parents was disabled and again the staff made them extremely comfortable throughout their stay.

Again, a big big thanks for making my daughters day very very special and we will recommend to anyone that asks.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Hagley Road are noisy, request a room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely comments and I am very pleased you had a great day