“Never again!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed here for one night,room a complete disgrace,wallpaper moldy and falling off the walls,crumpled nets filthy bath mat.no one at the hotel knew about the allowance for dinner,bed breakfast meal deal.Waitress asked four times what we wanted to eat and then called my husband a moron because he used the wrong spoon for soup,even though there wasn't,t a soup spoon to be seen!water on table but no glasses.couldn,t wait to leave.not worth the money, would rather stay in Travelodge

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joycelot
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to writ. I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay and will discuss your comments with the people concerned, However I am sure the waitress did not call your husband a moron, perhaps you misheard. Thank you again for taking the time to write and once again my apologies for any distress caused.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the night in June. The location was great and so was the food. The downfalls were the cleanliness, my room was dusty and dated, and stains on the chair. The bathroom was dated an Olive/Green colour which was not pleasing on the eye and is in need of a refurb.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you for your kind comments in regards to the food and overall service. I am sorry however for the cleanliness of the room and will take thos comments up with our cleaning company as we do not accept guests going into any room that is not cleaned to the highest of standards. Thank you again
Dudley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

My friends and i attended our first murder mystery at the Plough and Harrow in June for a special birthday celebration.
We thouroughly enjoyed the evenings events and the murder mystery was great fun.
We had a few issues in getting drinks at the bar, with a very busy event with over a hundred guests the bar staff were very limited (one guy most of the evening) and the bar wasnt well stocked, every other drink had to be fetched from somewhere leaving the bar un-attended. Considering the waiting staff held it together and delivered good quality hot food in the "murder zone" i feel the bar side was a little dissorganised.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write and I am very pleased you enjoyed yourselves. I will have a word with the bar team as there should be no delays. Thanks again and hope to see you again in the future
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed here specifically because I was on a training course that was facilitated at the hotel. Having read some mixed reviews I wasn't sure what to expect...however I'm pleased to day I had a really nice stay.
The hotel is about 20min walk into central Birmingham, it's a lovely building from the outside. I will concede some of the decor was a bit dated for my tastes but nonetheless was nice inside.
My room was clean and fresh. The bed while comfortable was probably ready for a new mattress as it was very soft - this my just be my personal preference though.
Staff can not be faulted, friendly and very attentive.
Facilities were good. My room did not have wifi but I got a router from reception on arrival so that was not a problem. The breakfast was fresh as expected.
The hotel is a bit of a maze on arrival but you soon find your way!
I'd defiantly stay again if I was staying in Birmingham

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind comments and for taking the time to write. I will pass them on to the team and hope to see you again in the not too distant future
Mooloolah Valley, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I checked in on Wednesday night and on arroval there is a dismal lit reception area, which also smells. I went to my room with two large bags and no lift.
when I arrived in my room, one of the lights did not work, the shower constantly leaks and then there was no remote control for the TV and you cannot operate the TV from the TV!
I called down to reception but they did not have a remote.
I left a note with housekeeping and when I arrived back in my room, the light had been changed but no remote.

I called the reception desk, the girl said she was busy and she would get the Manager to come and see me.
He arrived all casual and just handed me a remote. I asked why it had taken three attempts to get a remote for a TV I could not use so far, he replied!!!! They were full last night and they did not have enough.

WILL NOT BE STAYING HERE AGAIN!! VERY BAD SERVICE
And i will be telling the travel company I book through of my experience.

Also take a look at your rooms and give them a dusting!!! especially on the skirting boards etc.

One plus side, to be fair, which I hope I always am....
Breakfast, whilst buffet was very good and the restaurant is nice, and the two staff were really nice which is always a bonus.

But need to get some fresh air into the place, it is off putting in public areas.

Room Tip: One that has all its services for you to use and is clean.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and I can only apologize for the missing remote. We do keep a selection of spares as for some reason they do go missing but for it to take more than one call is very disappointing. I will be speaking with the team to ensure a better response as this is not tolerable. Thanks again for taking the time to write and my apologies once again for letting you down

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

When we arrived it took 10 mins for someone to come to reception to speak to us, we decided to go to the loo whilst waiting, loos were dirty and there was no loo roll in any. Bad first impression from the start. It didn't get much better to be honest, we arrived after a long day of travelling to be told there would be no restaurant that evening, they could rustle us up a bar meal if we wanted, but there was a wedding taking place in the bar, not liking the idea of gate crashing and wanting a quiet evening meal we declined. Quite let down in the hotel for not warning us about the Wedding as we could have at least planned some where else to go.

Our room was quite a long walk from the main hotel area,. we had been allocated away from the wedding, which I thought was good. The corridors were all in desperate need of a good cobweb and a hoover though and they all smelt very damp. Our room was fairly clean, a bit of dust here and there and lamp shades were all a bit dirty and wonkey, but the bed was extremely comfy and bathroom was relatively modern in comparison to the 1970's bed room. Don't get me wrong, I like old, but when the carpet is stained all over and sun bleached and varnish no longer on furniture its not a good look. WiFi worked well as did the Tv which was a large wide screen. There was a very Strong air fresher somewhere in the room, having smelt the corridors it made me wonder what it was hiding.

Breakfast was served as a help yourself buffet, it was luke warm, nothing to shout about. Tea and coffee was already made up, you had to ask the waiting staff for a refill, I felt like a child at school 'please can I have some more tea'. The waiting staff looked tired and unenthusiastic, but were polite none the less.

The location of this hotel is great, not far at all from the town, we caught a bus from just outside, it took us not even 10 mins to get to The Bull Ring.

Overall I don't think we will be returning to this hotel unless it undergoes a bit of renovation, I like old fashioned, but to pay £85.00 fol old, dark, dirty and smell, I would rather go to a travel Lodge.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Newbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

A great location, a short walk away from the city centre and NIA. The downside was we got a room in a far corner of thr hotel and it took endless flights of stairs and corridors yo even reach the reception. The breakfast was included but it was not very nice, very few things on offer and even toasts took a long time to be served( as they served it on the table) it could be due to a big wedding party which had come the previous day, but our experience of breakfast wasnt great, go without abd buy stuff from nearby morrisons for breakfast is my advice. Free parking was an added bonus. All in all it was a decent place to stay with very clean rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your kind comments. I am sorry however if your breakfast wasn't as good as it should be. I will speak with the team as it is generally an area we excel in and with a great selection of both hot and cold items. Thank you again