“Tired Hotel”

Plough and Harrow Hotel
Ranked #91 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for one night when attending a party at the hotel. The main area of the hotel has quite a lot of character. The room the party was held in was a decent size, the food which was a hot and cold buffet was what you expect for a place like this. All the staff were friendly and helpful where ever they were in the hotel.

The room we has was in an area that had been added to the main building, it was clean and tidy, bit the walk to the room and the room itself was tired and in need of bringing into the 21st century. All the furniture was dated and more like the 1980's it was scratched and worn.

The breakfast was poor it was a buffet style that was not kept warm very well, and what we had was of a poor standard, in a room that again was in need of some attention.

Yes the location is good for visiting Birmingham if that's what you want to do, but all in all for the price the standard of the hotel was disappointing

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write and for your kind comments re the staff. I will look into your comments re the breakfast as that is an area we generally excel in. Thank you again

Reviewed 6 October 2013

booked in for two nights on business but requested a family room and paid extra on top of what my company had paid for my husband and children to stay one night as we had one 13yr old and a baby, on arrival our room only had a double bed in it !!
We were given another room and told that the cot would be put in the room later,(it arrived at 9pm !!) on arrival at the room, the first thing you noticed was the unpleasant smell that hit you as you walked in, a light fitting above the TV which was in easy reach ( when you went to the tv) was hanging off and was still live !! the kettle didnt work, the carpets were filthy not to mention the wide line of mould on the windows, there was a vent in the bathroom that had come away from the wall , you could easily hear voices coming from it and in the morning the bathroom was covered in a fine grey dust that had obvioulsy blown out of this vent overnight!!! We asked for another room but were declined.
A colleague of mine was given her key only to find there was someone already in that room !! the occupant was not surprised as she said it had happened before!!
Another colleague of mine who was booked in the same hotel had a tv that the aerial had been ripped out of the wall exposing the back of the aerial box,a horrible musty smell in the room, the door didnt lock properly and there was no security chains on them, the wooden cupboards were extremely well worn with stains and the varnish rubbed off, I didn't unpack our bags , we tried to get another hotel that night but failed so we had to stay there, the highchair was filthy, there were large bits of black all over the highchair tray when we asked for a cloth to wipe it down the waiter gave us a serviette and tried to tuck it over the highchair table to cover the table instead of cleaning it ! I did not dare to put my son in it and got his buggy from the car.
Lighting in these parts was dimmed and I think I know why!! I think we would not have liked what we saw in full light!!
There were Grecian style statues in the dining room , someone had 'outlined' certain parts of their anatomy with black marker pen ( to the amusement of my 13yr old Son who noticed this)
No wifi , you had to get a router from reception, no good to us as I use an iPad, no air conditioning.
The following morning we were advised to book out of the hotel by our company, leaving one night earlier than planned.
Even the taxi drivers had not heard of this hotel !!
very much Fawlty Towers but without the laughs.

Room Tip: Surprised if there are any good rooms !!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank guest20137
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I agree with other reviewers about the staff - nice but obviously not well trained. Checking out in particular is a complicated affair - even if you've already paid you're not allowed to just hand in your key. The manager appeared to try and fix the printer but didn't even acknowledge the customers who were waiting, never mind apologise. The rooms are a bit shabby and the hotel is very noisy. My room was really warm but the windows could only be fully closed or fully open with nothing in between. I ate in the bar at night and there was one person running about doing everything. Breakfast was in a huge dining room but all the food was squashed onto one tiny table and the staff were all running about topping up the supply of plates (a few at a time - think they were washing them as residents finished). This was probably a nice hotel at some point - a long time ago unfortunately. One good thing is the free wifi but shame there's not much else good to say about this place.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs as there is no soundproofing
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I spent a week here suffering through such eye wateringly bad service that I actually started having fun watching the antics of the staff. The shame is that it could be a nice hotel. There are some good people working there and the food is actually surprisingly good.

But

Avoid this hotel unless you're looking for the full Fawlty Towers experience.

The first time I tried to get breakfast in the half empty restaurant the English lady not only ignored me she actually argued with two guests about what room they were in. When they insisted they were in the rooms they had on their cards, she stormed out of the restaurant and started shouting at the front desk staff leaving everyone looking at each other in disbelief. BTW I never did get a breakfast that morning.

The bar area is nice looking but good luck getting a drink or a meal. The second night I wandered around trying to get a meal again being studiously ignored. I finally ordered a chicken caeser salad. The lady at the bar stopped cold. What? Do you mean a Classic Caeser salad with chicken? Well, yes as there's only one caeser salad on the menu. She actually rolled her eyes at me and reluctantly got it. Thing was it was really good lol.

I was too tired one night to look for a restaurant so I decided to eat in the P&H restaurant no matter what. I walked in, was ignored, so I just sat down at one of the empty tables and started reading. A waiter, who turned out to be a genuinely nice guy, very good, stopped and looked at me and asked if I wanted a menu. Well, oddly, given that I was sitting in the restaurant trying to get a meal, yes I did. Again, the food was really good.

The next morning I marched in and sat at the same table and helped myself to a juice and started reading and again, with genuine surprise I was asked if I wanted breakfast. I ordered and ate watching the floor show of other guests standing trying to get seated in a nearly empty dining room.

That night I went to the bar to try to get my salad again. No luck. The bar was covered with glasses and empty bottles and litter but no one was there. I actually wondered if I was having a 28 Days Later moment. I stood at the bar and started reading. 15 minutes later not a soul there. I considered pouring my own pint but decided to go down the street where they actually want your custom.

Don't bother with this place. They would prefer it if you didn't annoy them by staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Booking in took about half an hour because not one person seemed capable of working the computer in order to charge the poor man in front of me for his parking. Didn't occur to them to serve me in the meantime! Staff were very polite but clueless. Room was very clean & full of character & the bed really comfy. But in the bathroom the sink taps were not really connected to the sink & could be twirled round & round and the toilet took a lot of persuading to flush!
Breakfast was lovely and the waitress superb.
Checking out sadly took forever involving different very polite & friendly but equally gormless reception staff. The poor woman in front of me had been waiting an age for a receipt, but nobody could get the printer to work. After a prompt the receptionist was woken from her daze and served me & luckily my room was pre-paid otherwise I'd probably still be there waiting for my receipt!!
If you do pre-pay be sure to take your email confirmation and receipt with you as just about every time I passed reception the staff were unable to determine the difference between a pre booked and a pre paid room!!
Bar staff were excellent but the reception staff desperately need training & livening up & cleaners need to report faults such as very loose (but beautifully clean) taps as part of their job!
I similarly emailed the hotel (to request a wifi room - which I got) but they never replied to my email.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I had big hopes after visiting the website and reading reviews but perhaps they were dashed a bit when I stayed..I have deliberated whether to put a review on trip advisor but thought I would be honest and up front.....

The receptionist was in the ladies when i arrived so somebody informed me when I waited patiently to check in...well needs must and all that!

She did kindly swap my room when I had concerns about staying on the ground floor .

Room service is supposed to be 24 hour... But I rang on the Sunday before 6pm and was told to call back after 6pm when the chef would be available... I think there had been a big wedding the night before and everyone still seemed to be taken up with the aftermath...still not a problem

The bed side lights didn't work.... Shame because I loathe bright lighting at night and so ended up with just the television on....the toilet also suddenly failed to flush in the morning....I reported that but didn't have the heart to mention the lights...

The plastic type curtains didn't really do it for me...I have seen those in London hotels 10 years ago and I love hotels with proper fabric curtains......

Also when I asked what wine was at the bar...the lady serving me didn't have any idea and got the bottles out to show me.....I really think the usual staff were not there....

All in all it isn't a bad hotel....I think I just got the aftermath of a wedding where I was informed it went onto 3am in the morning....and maybe I paid the price coming to stay on a Sunday....

I probably wouldn't stay again but was only passing through and equally someone else may have a much better experience on another day rather than a Sunday in wedding season.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Daughter's wedding held here 28/9/13....totally awesome wedding experience. Cannot fault anything about the actual wedding from booking in on Friday with all of the decorations, luggage etc,( as Bride, bridesmaids Mother of bride and aunt all stayed on Friday). Brilliant service on wedding morning as hairdressers, photographer, make up artist all started arriving and were directed up to our rooms. Help with breakfasts as some of us were unable to get down to the restaurant due to beauty schedules. Everything was dealt with magnificently by Darren and his team. As parents of the bride we were so confident in him we were able to relax and enjoy the preparations of the day. Wedding breakfast and evening buffet all complimented upon by guests.
The only (small) minus I would give this amazing weekend was the "tired" decor of the rooms in the original historic building.
Thank you, so much, The Plough & Harrow Hotel.....absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: if you want brighter, newer room away from (very busy) main road ask for new block..
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I am really pleased you had a great day and thank you for your lovely comments. Hope to see you again soon