“price meets experience”

Plough and Harrow Hotel
Ranked #91 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I honestly think that the price does accurately reflect the experience of this hotel. Yes the wallpaper is peeling off of the bedroom walls and the remote for the TV was missing, but the shower was good and hot and the staff were friendly and professional. The bed was comfortable and the food was good and hearty.

This hotel does need some urgent investment, but for what I paid I did not feel that this was unfair. With investment, this place could be great!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Colin M
paulsmyth1, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I would never stay at this hotel again. Broken window, broken lavatory and dirty. I sincerely recommend you stay elsewhere. I never write these reviews, but this was too much of a shocker to ignore. The whole place is tired and in desperate need of refurbishment. I operate the policy that on some occasions, a bed is all you need - in this case, I'm not even sure if you'd get a clean one. I honestly think it's the worst hotel I've ever been too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank baskerhound

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Have just come home from a two night stay at the Plough and Harrow after attending a wedding. Have to say that I am a bit disappointed with this hotel as it has so much potential.
Don't get me wrong, it is not all bad, but it could do with some work.
We checked in on Friday 1st November. Staff were friendly enough on check in and gave us directions to our room. To say that it was a mission is a slight understatement. Although you do get to take a tour of the hotel in order to get to the rooms, even if you do not wish too. On the way to the room (we were in room 209) I heard a lady speaking to a staff member who stated that she had a disabled guest with her. The staff member stated that there was no disabled access to the rooms. However, if the guest was to go outside there was a service lift but they would still need to take a flight of stairs. Not great for guests in wheelchairs.

Once we got to the room the first thing I noticed when the door was opened was the smell of musk and damp. Paint was peeling away from the walls and the was mould on the walls. Also brown tape covering plug sockets within the room. Not the best first impression, which was a shame as the room itself was a good size. The bed was very comfortable and clean. There was plenty of storage space. In fact there were more cupboards in the room than you could ever use.

An iron and ironing board within the room was a nice touch, but unfortunately the first impression of the room kind of spoilt it really.

The wedding we attended went really well and I cannot fault the hotel for the ceremony and the happy couple really enjoyed themselves. However, the chicken was undercooked during the meal. But this could have just been mine so did not make a big deal of this.

The staff were hit and miss too. Some staff were excellent and went out of their way to help. However, some staff just seemed to go away! During the wedding the bar staff would quite often take a wander, not sure where they went. On one occasion a young bartender informed me that although he was the only staff member behind the bar, he could not serve us. He then went to find a member of staff, he returned 10 minutes later and stated he was still looking for a staff member. While he went off wandering the hotel owner in fact served us. Nice touch, I thought, that he would get his hands dirty so to speak.

All in all a mixed bag of feelings for this hotel. Has the potential to be really good I feel, with some TLC, a bit of modernisation, some better staff and this could be a winner.

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor don't take quite as long to get to as you don't have to walk the entirety...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony1301
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write and for your kind comments re the wedding. I am sorry however that all was not correct in the room. I will speak with the maintenance team as brown tape is not acceptable. Thank you again for taking the time to write

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is not listed for restaurants which is a shame. Visited for Sunday lunch, we had not booked and the restaurant was fully booked, however the maitre d' asked if we would like lunch in the lounge. I am pleased to say that we did. We had a fantastic 3 course lunch with coffee. Waiting staff were attentive without being intrusive, the meats were cooked to perfection and even though we were not in the restaurant we were never ignored or forgotten...excellent customer service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

What lovely comments and thank you very much for taking the time to write. I will pass them on to the team

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Booked one night at this hotel (thank the lord it wasn't anymore).
On arrival the receptionist gave us our room key and directions, after nearly a five minute walk with lots of stairs and doorways (no offer of help with our luggage) we found our room.
No outside light (out of order) so all in darkness.
On entering room, it was very tired looking and freezing cold, with a draught blowing through the window. On entering bathroom the floor was unclean and had pubic hair, shower head corroded. The room was very tired looking indeed. I realise we had a discounted room, but even so it should be of a standard.
As we had had a long journey we decided to eat at the bar/restaurant. We ordered drinks and food (on checking the bill....had been over charged by £9). After 10 minutes had to go back to bar to get drinks as they hadn't arrived. When meals made an appearance, they were NOT as we had requested and very poor, quickly thrown together and basic. We went back to the room, and on trying to use internet found that it required a cable which had to be collected from reception, so another walk back to the other side of the building.
Not a great nights sleep the bed was two singles slotted together and the room extremely noisy (traffic noise very loud). We avoided the breakfast after such a poor evening meal.
On checking out we stood at reception almost 5 minutes whilst staff stood behind reception chatting amongst themselves....and we had to listen to them complaining about a previous guest..... which was very unprofessional. We finally had to shout to get some attention. On receiving our final bill we had been overcharged by £40 and had to get this corrected.
I have to admit that our stay here from start to finish was a nightmare. I would NOT stay here again or recommend this hotel.
AVOID.

Room Tip: "Perhaps rooms in the older part of the building would be better, our room was NOT". AVOI...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paula S
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The Plough & Harrow is a nice hotel in the centre of Birmingham, and old fashioned oasis in the middle of this modern world.
Old world entrance and public area's lend to a very relaxing atmosphere in and around the hotel.
The room are large and airy with a much more modern feel. Lots of cupboard space, and plenty of room to work from. The WIFI system is very good in the rooms, even if you have to use the WIFI Access point provided by the hotel.

Reception and Bar Staff are efficient and willing to help the weary traveller. The food in the restaurant and Bars was excellent and plentiful. Breakfast was a buffet affair and again very good and bountiful.

All in all a very good stay during the week, a good buisness stopover.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. I am very pleased your stay was enjoyable and will pass your kind words on to the team. Look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

The Plough and Harrow (P&H), is a registeted property in Birmingham, UK. Because of such the property does't and cannot have an elevator. It is located near a busy part of Birmingham. Years ago, before the city started to build up in that part of the city, it was situated a bit to itself. That was then, this is now. Of all of the hotels I have stayed in the UK, this property had the largest room that I have ever had.

To wit, after a somewhat long and winding journey to my room, what I found was like an oasis in the desert.

The room had extremely tall ceilings 10 or 12 feet and fully paneled with in a rich mahogany or some other dark woods. My room had a coat closet. I also had a very large bathroom. My clothes closet was also extremely large and as I journeyed to the bed chamber, I noticed that there was a very large sliding door to reveal the tea maker and several shelves or the TV up to that time, it was the largest TV I'd seen in any hotel room.

Now for the surprise: I had taken advantage of a 2 for 1 special and had booked a single room. When I saw the bed in this huge bed chamber, I saw a single bed. The bed chamber was big enough for a pool table and enough room for carrom shots. Why would they waste the space?
Then I remembered This room was half priced and I got what I paid for.

The service was friendly albeit no bell service.

There is a bar and room service with limited offerings. Its location is near many restaurants and about a 15-20 min. walk to the Bull Ring Center.

For business travelers and others who don't mind carrying their bags and who want some breathing room--you may want to consider this property.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank drwfra
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments and I am very pleased you had an enjoyable stay. I am also pleased you enjoyed the space and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future