“An unusually warm-hearted hotel”

Plough and Harrow Hotel
Ranked #91 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 14 April 2014

There are two types of hotel guest as is evident from the reviews here. First, the executive, 'perfect world' type who thrives on bland uniformity, soulless staff and pre-packaged mass-produced food.
Then there are people like me who absolutely loathe leaving home, but cannot bear the modern corporate style of hotel and actually look for a human touch. That's what you get at the Plough and Harrow. In an old hotel things do occasionally go wrong - a heater might not work, or else something of a minor technical nature. Believe me, whatever time of the night it happens they will sort it out, and moreover they will do so with a smile.
The staff are all kind, interesting and genuine.
So, what you get is a place which is real - it's also clean, very comfortable, and the food is better than at places which are much more expensive.
When I go to Birmingham, I now won't stay anywhere else, and believe me I've stayed just about everywhere - including the so-called top hotel in the city at three times the price of the P&H. It's a slice of old England at a very reasonable rate.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk too far, get a room in the old block on the first floor, but the rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Johnno51
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, it is much appreciated and I will be very pleased to pass them on to the team. Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Recently stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed my stay. The staff are wonderful and nothing is too much trouble. Welcomed with a smile. Especially the reception staff that were working on 06/04 many thanks.

Rooms are clean and comfortable, although could do with a bit of an update.

Food is excellent and had the most perfectly steak on room service I have ever eaten.

Will return anytime. Again many thanks it means a lot when you are a woman travelling alone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to write. It is greatly appreciated and I will pass them on to the team. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Service was excellent nothing too much trouble. Sandwiches were delicious especially the smoked salmon and cream cheese. The chocolate truffle was to die for as were the selection of cakes.will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

I am really pleased you had a good time and thank you for taking the time to write. Look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is not the first time my family has devided to use the PLough and Harrow for a function, and there is good reason. They will bend over backwards to accomodate your needs. The food is excellent and trust me I have some friends that are real 'foodies', food always consistent and excellent value for money. The staff cannot do enough, they are so pleasant and accomodating. The bar is atmospheric and warm and inviting - perfect for a get together ( on this occasion my 50th birthday) and they allowed is a singer and it was all unbeleivable - no one could not have had a good time. LAst year we has my parents 50th wedding anniversary - let me tell you what a ball this was. Fifiteen years prior I had my wedding reception there and the standards havent slipped. I know the rooms may leave something to be desired - but nothing else does !!!

Room Tip: Didnt stay - but if you need a venue for about 50 people this is the place in Brum
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your kind comments. I will pass them on to the team. I am really pleased you had a great time and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

The website for this hotel looks great and we were expecting a really enjoyable stay. In fact, the website only shows you pictures of one part of the hotel. Most of the rooms are in a horrible block at the back which you walk down miles of corridors to reach. Our room was large (with huge amounts of storage space- why?) but very shabby and not clean. The wall paper was peeling in places, the paint had bubbled, there were random holes in the walls from previous fixtures and fittings, the carpet was stained, the woodwork was all scuffed, and the ironing board was burnt through. The bathroom light fitting had a dead insect in it and there was dust on the surfaces. We arrived late at night and didn't feel like trekking all the way back to reception to complain so tried to phone through. There was no answer, and I was put through to a voicemail which didn't work. The same happened when I tried to ring housekeeping. We gave up and went to bed (the bed, at least, was comfortable, although some extra blankets would have helped as the room was cold). In the morning I complained very politely to the lady on reception. At first she was really unhelpful and barely even apologised. Only when I persisted and said that I wasn't happy about paying the full price for the room given the unacceptable state it was in did she respond. She said that our room had been a special 'wedding price' and that she couldn't reduce it. I explained that we were nothing to do with the wedding taking place in the hotel and that we had booked normally and were very disappointed. She eventually reduced the bill from £70 to £50 which I accepted. She also asked me to leave a comments card for the general manager, which I did, but he or she never contacted me and I received no apology. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank reviewer069

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to write. I am sorry your stay was not enjoyable and will take your comments up with the team.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Only stayed for one night but it was a very enjoyable experience. A clean room with a very comfortable bed, a superb evening meal in the restaurant, a lovely breakfast and friendly obliging staff. Also, with the room at the back, it was very quiet - you'd hardly know you were so close to the city centre. I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write and for your very kind comments. I am pleased all was to your liking and hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Mouldy bathroom and peeling wallpaper. A wedding reception was held directly below my room, all I could hear until 1am was blaring music and drunken idiots. I stayed in this hotel for business and when I complained to reception they just shrugged their shoulders. Appalling customer service! Do not stay here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nejai1982

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am sorry your stay was not an enjoyable one as your room was close to the wedding reception. That is our error as we generally put guests not associated with weddings in rooms away from the noise. I can only apologize.