“Second stay”

Plough and Harrow Hotel
Ranked #90 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here twice and on both occasions Bruno welcomed us and treated us like family. Our first stay he was very attentive as was the waitress (never caught her name) we returned a few months later to be welcomed my Bruno again and he recognised us! Would recommend this place to anyone, maybe a little run down but staff certainly make up for it!

• Stayed: May 2014
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. I am pleased all was well and will pass your comments on to Bruno and the rest of the team. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Last night we attended a Murder Mystery event at this hotel. What a great night! Nice hotel, top entertainment and a lovely meal, and very good value for money. The staff were very efficient, friendly and courteous (special thank you to Aaron and Bruno!) - we'll definitely be back for more!

Stayed: May 2014

I am so pleased you enjoyed the Murder Mystery, they really are great fun. I will also pass on your comments to the team. Keep an eye out for other events we will be holding in the future including Faulty Towers, Father Ted and Comedy Waiters. Thanks again

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Called Easter Monday with friends on a Voucher deal.

Would rate as follows,

Reception - Welcome 10/10 Warm & Smiley.

Service 10/10 Bruno I think -- TOP MAN.

Food 10/10 EXCELLENT - Sandwiches - Cakes - Scones Could not eat it all.

GREAT VALUE.

Although the hotel ia a little tired this only adds to its charm - VERY COMFORTABLE.

Will be back Voucher or not.

PEOPLE OF BHAM GIVE IT A TRY>

1  Thank roseskidderminster
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Than you ever so much for your lovely comments. I am really pleased you enjoyed your afternoon tea and will pass on your comments to Bruno. Thank you again

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel was THE place to stay 30 years ago, so when my Husband and I had the opportunity to stay there we were quite excited. What a let down, once you got past the public lounge/bar area it was like being in another hotel. The bedrooms were shabby and tired, Chipped furniture and hard beds. Holes left in the walls where once a mirror or headboard was attached , no safe, no guest information regarding facilities etc., We requested another room and found it as shabby as the first one. At breakfast the following morning we were asked if we wanted a drink (I had to request they lay a place setting for my Husband) There was no breakfast menu and a small choice of food was available as a buffet i.e. scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, tomatoes and boiled mushrooms. I had to go and find the waitress to ask if we could have fried eggs, she said she would ask the chef. I had to find her again and ask if we could have toast. When she came with our coffee only two cups were poured and the pot taken away. Sorry, but in this day and age I expect better and certainly much better standards of service from the dining room - It is not rocket science, purely common sense. I would say that the staff on reception were very professional and friendly. Would we stay there again - absolutely not. It could be a wonderful hotel again with some tlc, so, come on Plough and Harrow, time to UP YOUR GAME !!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in Main house are no better than rooms in extention.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write. I am sorry however that you were left disappointed
and will look further into the issues with Breakfast. I am happy however to report that we are going through a decorative program in the bedrooms so hopefully on your next visit you will see the improvements. Thank you again for taking the time to write

Reviewed 26 April 2014

First time visit to the Plough & Harrow,shall be going back again.
BRUNO the waiter welcomed us when we arrived,so we went to the bar & had a drink until we were called to the restaurant,service was wonderful.The meal was everything you wished for,nothing was to mutch for the waiter BRUNO he did everything to make my sister inlaws 84th birthday special.
Later on we did meet the chef who seems very dedicated to his work.Then we had a small tour of this wonderful building some interesting history.
So all in all we all had a wonderful evening

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

I am so pleased your sister in law had a lovely birthday and will pass on your lovely comments to Bruno and the team. Heres looking forward to the next one

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We booked an afternoon tea for two deal at this hotel, we regularly do this kind of booking, so possibly expected a lesser experience than proved to be the reality.
We were shown to our table immediately even though we had arrived half an hour before the booking.
Our waiter (Bruno) could not have been more friendly and accommodating, nothing is too much trouble.
The sandwiches and cakes are superb, all home made and it shows!
On the basis of this visit we have booked to go again for Sunday lunch, can't wait!
Highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. I am really plesed you had an enjoyable time and look forward to seeing you again for Sunday Lunch

Reviewed 14 April 2014

There are two types of hotel guest as is evident from the reviews here. First, the executive, 'perfect world' type who thrives on bland uniformity, soulless staff and pre-packaged mass-produced food.
Then there are people like me who absolutely loathe leaving home, but cannot bear the modern corporate style of hotel and actually look for a human touch. That's what you get at the Plough and Harrow. In an old hotel things do occasionally go wrong - a heater might not work, or else something of a minor technical nature. Believe me, whatever time of the night it happens they will sort it out, and moreover they will do so with a smile.
The staff are all kind, interesting and genuine.
So, what you get is a place which is real - it's also clean, very comfortable, and the food is better than at places which are much more expensive.
When I go to Birmingham, I now won't stay anywhere else, and believe me I've stayed just about everywhere - including the so-called top hotel in the city at three times the price of the P&H. It's a slice of old England at a very reasonable rate.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk too far, get a room in the old block on the first floor, but the rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Johnno51
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, it is much appreciated and I will be very pleased to pass them on to the team. Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future