“Organisational mess” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #83 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Organisational mess”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

From the outside this place doesn't look half bad, if only we'd stayed at the outside! On going in we approached reception towards the two women manning it. They proceeded to initially ignore us before openly passing the buck as to which one could be bothered to check us in. Once we got the room key we went upstairs through the maze only to discover our room hadn't been cleaned, the bed was a mess, full bins etc. I went back down to reception for some more buck passing as apparently the cleaner said it was done, The receptionist then phoned round the cleaners only to get them passing the buck to each other (like I cared by this point). We finally got moved to another room, this one had furniture that was falling apart, doors looking like they were about to fall off and stains all on the desks and tables and a tv that worked when it felt like it. Also one of the pillows had some sort of brown stuff on it (I'd hate to think what that was). Once we got past all this there was the breakfast/no breakfast palaver. We were told we had one as it was not stated otherwise, then we didn't have it included with the room, then we did have it again, then in the morning it wasn't included again! All in all the place was a roaring shambles with nice enough, but poorly trained staff. I won't stay here again, but the two stars show that it isn't the worst place I've been! All in all if all you want is a bed this is fine, but if you're looking for nice rooms, a relaxing stay and good service, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Amansomewhere
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write. I will look into your comments with the personnel concerned

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Wisbech, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

So, I've now stayed in 3 hotels of a similar value on the hagley road. This is by far the nicest.

The room is a sensible size with the comfiest hotel bed I've experienced for a long time. The room has standard furniture and fittings so it's nothing remarkable. But it's clean. Actually properly clean. Not new, but they have cleaners who clean! I didn't even need to get the flash wipes out. It even smells nice. The communal areas are really quite plush. Baby grand piano and chesterfield sofas. Felt a bit grand.

On the flip side, we were put in a room about 3 miles from reception. It's a bit like the labrinth, just keeps going and going! But there were lovely sofas on the way to rest on. Staff crossed over the line into over attentive at breakfast. If I was offered coffee once I was offered a thousand times. But this is better than being ignored. Oh, and I'd asked for a teapot in the room (I like my tea from a pot) this wasn't provided but to down score for that would seem petty.

The location is brilliant. It's a really pleasant place to stay. Yep. I liked this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Than you very much for taking the time to write. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your kind comments to the Housekeeping team. Hope to see you again in the not too distant future
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Lovely good value hotel with very friendly staff and comfy beds. Well situated to enjoy the sights of Birmingham including cadbury world and Black Country village. Family room with 2 large adjoining rooms was Ideal giving the children their own space. Only improvement would be perhaps a tv in each room. Would definitely like to return for a bit longer next time.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Michelle H
I am very pleased you had an enjoyable stay and thank you for taking the time to write. Look forward to seeing you again soon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We organised a business conference here for a one day event with directors and speakers staying over the night before - but not me as I live in Birmingham. I joined them for dinner the night before and obviously was there the whiole of the following day. The hotel still has a certain ambience and the staff and service were brilliant, but it needs some tender loving care to bring it back up to the hotel I remember when organising events there before, Cupboard doors fell off in the conference room, afternoon tea was late arriving, and a few more minor things. However the guests who stayed over had no complaints about their rooms although some had a little way to walk. Wifi was slow in places.

Room Tip: The hotel has no lifts so travel light or ask for a porter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write and for your kind comments. I am happy to confirm we have a decorative programe underway so hopefully you will see the difference on you next visit. I will look into the delay with the Afternoon Tea as that should not happen. Thank you again for writing
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed for one night in May 2014.
On arrival the receptionist was really helful and polite.
Our rooms were quite far away from the reception area and so it was a bit of a walk and with a few stairs too. The room however, was clean and comfortable and had iron, ironing board, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities.
The bathroom was clean and the shower was nice.
The hotel is located quite close (a ten minute walk) to other restaurants and bars.
We stayed for breakfast which was buffet style but plenty of good quality food.
The staff were constantly asking if you were ok and asking if you wanted more tea and coffee.
OVerall a really good stay and would definately return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you ever so much for your lovely comments and I am very pleased you had a nice stay. Look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Afternoon Tea at The Plough and Harrow was a very enjoyable experience . Visited with my mom we paid £14.50 each and I must say that everything served to us was perfectly presented and tasted scrumptious. Unfortunately we were unable to eat everything as you are given so much choice, the scones were fresh from the oven and lovely and warm. the little dinky cheese cakes were probably the best I have tasted, the sandwiches are lovely and fresh with lots of choice it really was worth the money. I have seen discounts for afternoon tea at The Plough and Harrow which would be a real bargain and worth purchasing. The food and surroundings make this a nice experience but the added bonus of being served by really good staff who make you feel welcome make this a place you will no doubt wont to revisit . From the girl on reception to the lovely Bruno who served us nothing was too much trouble .I will certainly return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you ever so much for your comments, they are greatly appreciated and it will be my pleasure to pass them on to the team. Look forward to seeing you again soon
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visited the Plough and harrow using an offer we bought off amazon local and were extremely happy with the service and hotel. The value for money over the two days we stayed was brilliant, including a delicious afternoon tea on the first day of our stay. All the food we had while we were there was fresh and well cooked including the buffet breakfast. Staff were very friendly and always quick to help with any queries or requests we had.
The rooms were cosy and clean, as were the other rooms of the hotel.
The only improvement I could maybe suggest is in the decor as it is a little outdated however I personally thought it gave the building character!

Overall very happy and we'd definitely visit again :)

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your lovely comments. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future