“Afternoon Tea”

Plough and Harrow Hotel
Ranked #90 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Recently visited the Plough and Harrow for afternoon tea with my friend and it was an amazing experience. The staff were welcoming, and couldn't do enough for us! The sandwiches and cakes were exquisite and the atmosphere was perfect. Would recommend this to anyone!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

I am very happy you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea and am very grateful you took the time to write. Hope to see you again in the not too distant future

There are newer reviews for Plough and Harrow Hotel

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I recently married at the Plough & Harrow (20th April). I must say as a bride who likes to be in control and having to rely on an events manager on the big day was very worrying. His name was Darren and I must say, he was amazing. I arrived the night before, met with Darren and instantly I started to feel far more at ease as he just took control, gave comfort and realistic advice. He does this everyday and by the quick turn around and great adjust-ability on the day it showed.
I had many meetings to clarify the details regarding the wedding prior to the big day, if I were to say anything re: improvement with the pre-day process it would be to introduce the bride and or groom to Darren sooner, to put their mind at ease.
The venue exterior does not do this venue justice. This is a vintage style oldy worldy hotel with a laid back and social feel. The main drawing room with the through piano lounge was a perfect contrast for those who wanted to dance and party vs. those who want to sit and talk etc.
The bedrooms were comfortable and value for money at £50 per night for wedding guests (double room) as part of the wedding package (if you reserve 20 rooms at a time).
Big thank you to Darren, I would recommend this venue if you are looking for a niche but cosy venue.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

I am really pleased you had a great time and will pass on your lovely comments to the team. Hope you had a nice Honeymoon and look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed 3 June 2014

After visiting another hotel recently for afternoon tea and being completely underwhelmed by the experience I was a little apprehensive of going out for another afternoon tea, This time we bought amazon local vouchers for 4 to take my grandma out for her 90th birthday at The Plough and Harrow Hotel. We had to book in advance which sounded more promising, at least it gave the impression it was a popular afternoon tea! We arrived and were greeted by the waiters/waitresses who led us to a table set with china cups and plates and white table linen. We had two babies in tow too and they were able to provide us with two highchairs. We were served our tea/coffee after a little wait and then several minutes later we were asked if we were ready for our tea which then came out after another few minutes. We were given a large plate of finger sandwiches (cream cheese and cucumber, ham and tomato, egg/mayo and cress) on a mixture of brown and white bread. The sandwiches were very tasty, the ham especially. There were plenty...think I counted 24 for 4 people. Then we had a selection of cakes and scones (4 scones, 2 of which were fruit and 2 plain, 2 mini pots of jam, clotted cream, then 4 of each of the following: Chocolate profiterole, shortbread type biscuit with cream and raspberry on top and chocolate type mousey cheesecakey thing). The scones were absolutely delicious, never tasted a better scone in my life, would have just liked a bit more jam, maybe 3 or 4 little pots would have been better. The cakes were delicious too. The waiters were extremely friendly and made the little ones feel very very welcome, speaking to them at their level. If I was to mention anything I would have liked done differently it would be that the tea and coffee be served at the same time as the food or slightly after, not before, as it wasnt really as hot as it should have been by the time we ate. Also had to wipe over the highchair trays as they had crumbs on from previous use. Thankyou for a lovely visit, my grandma enjoyed celebrating her birthday with you. would recommend you to anyone who wants afternoon tea!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write and for your lovely comments. I am very pleased your grandmother enjoyed her birthday and hope to see you all again in the not too distant future

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have just arrived home after staying at the Plough for four fabulous nights, all of the staff were friendly and helpful, especially Bruno, as far as we are concerned he is Mr Plough and Harrow, he made our stay memorable. The room we had was clean and comfortable, the breakfast excellent with plenty of choice, the public areas were warm and relaxing. The bus service past the hotel is brilliant, you can be right in the heart of Birmingham in 5 to 8 minuets. This was our first stay, but certainly not our last.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank colin m

Thank you for a wonderful review. There is nothing else I can say but hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We are a newly married couple from China and we are in the UK for our honeymoon. We have been to a few hotels during our stay in England. Few of them we decided to stay because we have heard the name of those hotels when we were in China. As our honeymoon planned, we also travelled to Birmingham because we wanted to go to Cadburry world (my wife loves their chocolate). As for choosing hotel in Birmingham, our friends have previously stayed in Plough and Harrow Hotel and they recommended us to stay with the hotel and that’s why we chose this hotel. This was a very extraordinary experience staying in this hotel when compared to the ones we have stayed as this hotel has a very great history and it is so English (that’s the experience we wanted when travelled to another country). We really liked the design of the building and we appreciated the architecture and their indoor design. Not only just the experience of architecture and the experience of the history, we also had very good experience with the staffs as they were so warm welcoming, friendly and helpful. As we are from China and are in a foreign country and we didn’t know how to get to the Cadburry world. The night manager, Matt, was very helpful that he found a map and printed out for me and Aaron told me the available transportations to reach there. They also have many staffs from other countries which made this hotel very international, we were very happy to chat with one of their staff who is also a Chinese. Overall, we had a very wonderful stay with the Plough and Harrow Hotel and we felt we were very comfortable. Although this is a three star hotel, they have staffs who provide 5 star services. We definitely will come back to this hotel for our 1st anniversary and will recommend this hotel to our friends who are going to Birmingham.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to write

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night whilst at a concert in Birmingham. Very friendly staff and great service especially when we wanted food after midnight. Free parking. Lovely breakfast. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom was modern. Would stay again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

I am very pleased you enjoyed you enjoyed your stay. I hope the concert was good and hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Visited Plough and Harrow for Afternoon Tea with my partner with a 2 for 1 voucher. We was greeted by Bruno who throughout our time there ensured we were ok. There was a good choice of food all presented nicely on a plate. The food was fresh including warm scones. Couldn't fault any of it. Will defiantly visit again voucher or not.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am very happy you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and hope you will come and enjoy one again in the not too distant future