“This is quality”

Ranked #88 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Rye, United Kingdom
“This is quality”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

On a quite Sunday night a hotel stay could be lonely,quiet, reduced staff or staff have time for you.Expectations vary considerably
Our stay was just superb and we will return and hope that the same helpfull staff are on again

1 Thank TedJ140
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. I will be very pleased to pass them on to the team and look forward to seeing you again in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks on business during June 2014. The rooms are very spacious with en-suite and are cleaned daily to a good standard. The staff make the effort to be friendly at all times. I ate from the bar menu one night choosing the Mediterranean platter, it was very tasty and my only slight gripe would be that it was on the menu for 2 people at £18, I asked to have a half portion for one person but this was refused. I still ordered and really enjoyed it but did have to waste quite a lot of it :-( even though the hotel is located on a busy road the rooms are very quiet and have brilliant black out curtains which were a real bonus for me. The rooms have hairdryer, iron etc so everything you need and wifi has great coverage if you borrow a wifi adaptor which easily plugs in.
During my stay I was awoken at 5.24am by the fire alarm - the loudest alarm I have ever heard in my life so it certainly served its purpose!! I dressed and exited quickly down the fire escape staircase as did around 50 other guests. Now came the bad part in my opinion - no staff arrived to speak to guests, act as fire marshals or give any information whatsoever for 15mins, at which time one solitary gentleman walked around very quietly with a piece of paper asking for people's room numbers. We were outside for just under 40 mins and at no point whatsoever did staff give us any information or reassurance. I may have been a little more sensitive to the process as I was taking part in a health and safety/ fire course during my stay but really feel there could have been improvements to the process. A few pointers to add - the fire door on level 1 next to room 104 is damaged and needs replacing, the service ducts are surrounded by water fire extinguishers - useless for an electric fire without causingfurther serious problems. Please change the battery in the front reception clock it was showing the wrong time for the whole 3 weeks of the period I stayed!! Little basics that would get you a much higher rating! Overall thank you very much for your hospitality a good hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your kind comments. I will take them on board and hope to see you again in the future
Tipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We've known about this hotel for years, I've exhibited at one of their wedding shows, but haven't stayed or eaten yet, until now, thanks to an Amazon local voucher - Afternoon tea for two. It was amazing! this is proper afternoon tea, with delicious food, dainty sandwiches, sumptious cake and the best scone I've had in a while (other than my own baked offcourse) even my husband liked the scone and he isn't a scone fan by any measure. Will definately be going again, think we'll test out the restaurant in full aswell, for what you're getting and the silver service, it's very reasonably priced and worth every penny. If you feel like a treat, then make the effort to drive down to The Plough & Harrow in Edgbaston, Birmingham, well worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you ever so much for your lovely comments, and I am really pleased you had a nice time and hope to see you again soon
Brierley Hill, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went to the Plough and Harrow for a Murder Mystery evening that was bought by our daughter for my 60th Birthday. On arrival the staff were very friendly and the hotel had a very relaxed vibe. Our room was of good size and was adequate for our one night stay with Wi-fi which was easy to access and was a bonus.

The Murder Mystery was very well organised but the only downside for us was because there were a lot of people in the room the dialogue of the actors when interacting was sometimes lost and we would have preferred a more inter-mate Murder Mystery. Saying that the actors were very good and so were the waiters and waitresses as they had to serve everyone speedily through the unfolding story.

The food was quite good and when my husband and and myself refused the starter because we do not eat tomato soup they brought us both a beautiful fruit salad instead. Breakfast the next morning was very good as well.

A really good venue for a Murder Mystery and very tentative staff would recommend. this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I am very pleased you had a nice stay and enjoyed the murder mystery. I will also pass on your kind comments to the team. Thanks again
West Midlands
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We where at the plough for a murder night it was very good the actors were excellent we stayed the night the room was good and the staff where ok so was the food I would stay again the only problem was the room where it all took place was full it was very loud and you had directly hearing what was said between the performers

Room Tip: We where at the back of the hotel so it was quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing I am pleased you had a nice evening and look forward to seeing you on one of our future events
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business, and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived, a change from travel lodges and similar ilk. A pleasant bar area, good service. I ate from the bar menu and it was pleasant and nicely presented for a very reasonable price
Wi-fi is poor in certain parts of the hotel, so if this is a must then do be sure to ask for a room which is covered. In places the decor is dated and quite tired, but my room was clean, huge and very quiet given the busy road outside the hotel. I didn't see any lift access, there could have been, but there are long corridors and steps, stairs to access rooms- so this may prove difficult for those who are not so physically able.
Great location and a good price for what you get.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. I will pass them on to the team and hope to see you again soon
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was in Birmingham for an important event with old colleagues at the university and this hotel was ideally situated and the price looked right, so I booked. I found the car park convenient and good despite the local traffic engineering nearby being rather complicated. Reception was friendly and I was quickly given my room number and key, but then the long haul up and down stairs and along corridors to my room was very tedious and that was a definite downside as I had to make the same journey several times. The room was comfortable but I got the overall impression that the whole place is in need of redesign and modernisation. The bed was good and there was a pleasant outlook from my window on to the lawns. The room was also sheltered from any traffic noise. I was disappointed though that the shower lacked any real flow and power. Breakfast was good and adequate. This hotel building has great potential with some modernisation work. It seems to be a popular wedding and conference venue, but I just feel it is missing out.

Room Tip: The low numbered rooms are a long way from reception and along long corridors, but they are quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RichardT870
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your kind comments re the team. As the Plough was built circa 1706 it oozes character and history, unfortunately some of the rooms are a little way away but once there they are so quiet you would hardly believe you were in the city. I hope it has not put you off staying with us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to write