“Wonderful”

Ranked #82 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

It was a complete pleasure for my husband and I to get married at this lovely hotel last Friday. The staff are wonderful and made sure all our friends and family felt as welcome and special as we did. The food was delicious and we particularly loved the way all our fete games were set up on the lawn. It was really great. Thank you. Nicky Haigh.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

We brought the Cadbury world package so was a great price considering everything included. When we arrived back at the hotel to check in we were informed all the family rooms were taken but they had allocated two rooms interconnecting. We said we would take a look at them as we had two young children with us. The first room looked fine, but we were quick to notice they weren't interconnecting, they were across the corridor to each other, when we checked the second room it hadn't even been made up ready!

After my husband going back down to reception to challenge this, they then said they had a family room available all of a sudden? This was on the ground floor overlooking the garden area. The bathrooms obviously share a venting system to the room next door as you could hear every word the people were saying in the room next to us, they could probably hear us too :/. The standards of the room was very dated with paper coming away from the walls, board missing under sink area and generally run down look/feel.

We went out of our hotel for our evening meal, there was a wedding on at the hotel and you had to walk through the middle of the wedding reception to get in and out of the hotel which felt awkward. We returned from our meal and went back to our room at about 9pm so the kids could go to bed, the wedding party was also in the garden which we were next to with a bouncy castle and the music could clearly be heard as the doors were open leading to the gardens. We didn't complain as we were aware it was still early on in the evening for some people, however this music and kids running around the gardens continued til past midnight!

I would not return to this hotel, I'd rather pay extra and get somewhere we can get a decent and comfortable nights sleep

Room Tip: Don't book when there is a wedding on
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I arrived at 18:45 which is a pretty normal time to arrive at a hotel and was greeted by a sign on reception advising me that the receptionist was away and to take a seat and they would be back "momentarily". Having just completed a 3 hour journey, I wanted to get to my room, go to the loo and relax; not take a seat in reception. I waited for 5 minutes and then went to find someone to check me in. The receptionist didn't return for until 10 minutes after my arrival and made no apology for my wait. Not a great first impression.

The room was very tired and the décor extremely shabby. Curtains were worm and missing hooks, the bed spread had seen better days, the bathroom had dirty grouting around the sink, the shower curtain had hooks missing, the furniture was dated and scratched... need I go on!?

The room was far from clean. There were hairs in the bath, the windows were filthy, the bed wasn't made properly. The room was as unwelcoming as the staff had been.

I guess this hotel needs a total refurbishment and refit to bring it into line with similar hotels in the area (I stay in Birmingham regularly on business so have experienced many). While I appreciate that this may not be possible, giving the rooms a deep clean and training the staff to be more customer focused would be a start.

It was also extremely noisy as I was in a room at the front of the hotel and the sound proofing was non-existent.

I'm afraid I won't be returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank CarolCurlz

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Bradwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at the Plough and Harrow for 1 night and we had a problem with the taps in the bathroom, the management (David) came quickly, realised there was a problem, he was very apologetic and moved us to another room, even carrying our bags. To make up for the experience, they gave us a complimentary meal in the restaurant which was very good and made even better by the entertaining service we received from Bruno the waiter. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, ask for a room close to the facilities as there are no lifts and some...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and for you kind comments re the team. Sometime things do go wrong and I am pleased we dealt with it quickly and satisfactorily. Look forward to seeing you again in the future
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We wanted to go to Cadbury World and found a deal on Google for a night in the Plough and Harrow Hotel with a family room, afternoon tea, breakfast and a family ticket for Cadbury World for £89.

The hotel entrance and reception is lovely but our family room was quite a distance from the reception and restaurant. If you have any difficulty walking I'd make sure to ask for a room as close as possible to the entrance because our room was up some stairs, down a corridor, down some more stairs, round a corner and along another corridor!

The room itself was a disappointment. Our bed was really comfortable but the children had to sleep on a sofa bed, which is not what I'd expect from a family room normally (but the kids say it was comfy). One wall of the room was completely taken up by big brown cupboards, all of which were empty, except for one, which had extra pillows in.
The room hadn't been hovered properly. There were old crisps under the sofa bed.

In the en suite, there was a big puddle of water on the floor by the toilet and the sink leaked. Every time I turned the tap on my feet had a little shower! The shower was good though, nice and powerful.

The afternoon tea was basic but lovely. We didn't have it in the restaurant, but in the lounge area. Be prepared to pay for drinks for children if they don't like tea or coffee. The best part was the warm scones, with jam and cream, Delicious! There was no need for dinner that evening!

The hotel is very close to the centre of Birmingham. We had a lovely walk along the canal.

Breakfast was tasty. All the usual hotel breakfast items were available.

The hotel could do with some serious redecoration and modernising, but over all it was not a bad place to stay considering what we paid for the deal.

2 Thank 1Pixie1983
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to write.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here as part of the cadbury world package and stayed an extra night. Room was adequate though at the other side of building in an adjoining block. Bit of a trek. Having read previous reviews about the decor I would agree and in our room carpet had definitely seen better days...probably when hotel was built. In the room there was Peeling wall paper and the wooden cupboards/wardrobe were falling apart. Our room was opposite an outside door that was open all the time so I suppose that is a bit of a security issue and we saw some extra probably uninvited guests (of the animal variety) in the out houses at the back. HOWEVER price with the cadbury deal..can't really complain. Places to eat nearby and a Morrisons too. The staff were friendly, afternoon tea (included in price) was delicious, beds were comfy and bathroom clean.

2 Thank Jessych01
I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and hope to see you again on future visite. Thank you for writing
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed for one night on business in July. Hotel is in Birmingham City Centre, car parking is on site and included. Check in was quick and easy. The hotel Is a little dated but actually quite comfortable, the room was large in size and the bed was comfy, one thing I thought was strange was the fact that the hotel doesn't have Wi Fi as you would know it, you can rent a wireless router from reception for a £20 deposit or you have to plug in an Ethernet cable to the wall, I didn't have one with me but reception loaned me a cable, very helpful The location of this hotel is around a 10 minute walk from Birmingham city centre, so you have got Broad Street / The Bull Ring / Birmingham Library and the mail box all within walking distance. I eat in the restaurant and the food was really nice and well cooked. Service was great. Good nights sleep and breakfast was nice as well. Check out quick and easy. Would recommend if you are staying in Birmingham and want to be close to everything in the centre!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write and for your kind comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again on future visits