“Great location, good hotel, helpful staff”

Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Ranked #36 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Great location, good hotel, helpful staff”
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I arrived in the evening and the car park was overflowing, however a member of staff came to my assistance and offered to park my car, as soon as another staff member left for the evening. I found the room to be large, clean and comfortable. I was assisted with directions to an area of restaurants nearby (Brindley Place) where I found plenty of choices to eat on the edge of the canal.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Seamill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My first welcome was at the steps where I was helped with my bags and shown to reception. Check-in was also a good experience and I was happy that I had arrived at an another warm and friendly Marriott.
I have stayed previously, although it was a few years ago, but I did remember that I had enjoyed a very pleasant stay.
My room was spacious, well fitted and as usual got a great nights sleep in a comfy Marriott bed!
I enjoyed breakfast where a chef was on hand to cook an omelette to order and engage in friendly conversation.
On departure I was once again helped with my bags and then helped with directions to walk to Broad Street.
I was on business in Birmingham and this ticked all the boxes for a relaxing and pleasant overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

A pleasant stay, overall a food experience. Spent two nights while in birmingham. Got to see the bull ring
Mall while i was there. I woudnt mind comming here for a stay again when i m around. But i m sure people like to try new things in time.

• Stayed November 2012
Berlin
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I booked a weekend rate for an August stay and chose this hotel mainly to take advantage of a two-stay, get one night free Marriott promotion, but in hindsight it wasn't worth the extra money. It was a prepaid reservation and I received my credit card statement prior to arrival and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that they had charged my card in euros instead of the local currency at a rate of about 1 pound= 1.33 euros when the rate was about 1.285, the high in 2012. I didn't authorize them to charge my card in euros, but two other Marriott hotels in Cardiff and Warsaw did the same this summer, even though about 20 other hotels I've stayed at in Europe in the past two years have charged the local currency and my bank tacks on a conversion fee of 1.25 percent instead of 3 or 4 percent extra. At check-in and check-out the staff were unable to fix this problem. I was given an e-mail address of the company that processes the payments instead. The hotel is about a 20-minute walk from the train station and on the edge of the center, so there are quite a few others with more central locations which offer much better value. My room was a bit smaller than the average Marriott. It's an older building whose interior looks much better than its exterior. The breakfast was average compared to other Marriott/Radisson/Hilton properties. The best thing about the Birmingham Marriott is its pool area. The pool is quite large for a hotel pool, good for swimming laps and not crowded. There's a whirlpool and sauna as well and it was open quite late, can't remember exactly. Of the 5 cities I've visited in Britain, Birmingham ranks at the bottom in a tie with Glasgow.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Have stayed at this hotel on a few occasions previously, when visiting Birmingham for a night out/wknd away. Rooms are spacious, decor is old fashioned but gives it a warm feeling, and the beds are very comfortable. Hotel is in a good location, far enough from Broad Street to not hear evening noise, but close enough to walk to bars and restaurants. Breakfast is very good with a varied choice. Bar service and overall hotel service is good.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Exeter
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed for two nights with work and can honestly say that it was a pleasure.
My room was large, light and airy and beautifully decorated. It was very clean and a pleasure to stay in with comfortable beds and soft pillows - just right!
I enjoyed the food in the restaurant. One evening was a themed curry night which was great fun, with plenty to choose from on the menu if you didn't fancy that. Breakfast service was quick with a lot on offer.
As I travel to Birmingham a lot I would stay again and have recommended this hotel to several colleagues already.

• Stayed July 2012
Mijas, Spain
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I love the hotel. I participated on a training course and the coffee breaks were just amazing, with themes ranging from chocolate, arabic, Alice in Wonderland, etc. The General Manager, Maria, is a delight, very professional and always in the lobby greeting guests. Great job!

• Stayed October 2012