“Very nice hotel”

Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Ranked #25 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Stayed there for a night only, but really enjoyed my stay. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the location is pretty central, so you can walk to the centre easily. Not to mention the building, it's very nice. The room was very spaceous and clean. Prices are acceptable and good value for money. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Birmingham Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 18 November 2012

I didn't have high hopes, but equally it's a Marriott, so should be of a certain standard.
It wasn't!
Or rather, it was of a standard, just not a very good one.
1st Impressions, nice lobby, staff pleasant, free hot chocolate, (I thought that was a nice touch)
Room, dated but didn't look shabby, but when I started to put my clothes away, top shelf in cupboard thick with dust, not very pleasant. Then there was a disgusting, (I kid you not) electric radiator in the room, which judging by its appearance must never have been last cleaned. (You know those programmes where people hoard stuff, and social services have to go in to clean up, and they find petrified pets, it looked as if the radiator had came from one of those people!) Anyway I digress, I did wonder what the radiator was doing in my room, (Deluxe, by the way) but soon discovered it was because the heating / aircon didn't work, great, nice of them to tell me. Not the best way to warm the room, made it v stuffy and heady.
I did complain about the heating / lack of aircon, I was offered a £10 reduction, which was then upped to £20, no apology, and I thought that was quite poor.
Other aspects that annoyed me;
Often no answer when rang down.
Wifi, nightmare, could log on with one device, but near impossible if you had another device, iPad, phone etc.
No Coke, No Sprite, (that's a personal bugbare of mine!)
Mini Bar Empty
Internet Charge £15
Not a particularly good location.
Food not great.
Was going to have an omelette over breakfast, but was put off by the poor gentleman who was making them, sweating profusely. (Not his fault, he was crammed behind a small table with about 1 foot of space, and three hot burners)

On the upside;
Carpark is good, well goodish, it's actually part of the hotel, unlike other 4* hotel carparks in Birmingham, but does cost around £12.
Good spread for breakfast,
They also have a gym, and small pool which is nice to have.

All in all, hotel is fine, but I would stay only if price was good / nothing better available.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying more for an upgraded room, not worth it
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I arrived in the evening and the car park was overflowing, however a member of staff came to my assistance and offered to park my car, as soon as another staff member left for the evening. I found the room to be large, clean and comfortable. I was assisted with directions to an area of restaurants nearby (Brindley Place) where I found plenty of choices to eat on the edge of the canal.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My first welcome was at the steps where I was helped with my bags and shown to reception. Check-in was also a good experience and I was happy that I had arrived at an another warm and friendly Marriott.
I have stayed previously, although it was a few years ago, but I did remember that I had enjoyed a very pleasant stay.
My room was spacious, well fitted and as usual got a great nights sleep in a comfy Marriott bed!
I enjoyed breakfast where a chef was on hand to cook an omelette to order and engage in friendly conversation.
On departure I was once again helped with my bags and then helped with directions to walk to Broad Street.
I was on business in Birmingham and this ticked all the boxes for a relaxing and pleasant overnight stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

A pleasant stay, overall a food experience. Spent two nights while in birmingham. Got to see the bull ring
Mall while i was there. I woudnt mind comming here for a stay again when i m around. But i m sure people like to try new things in time.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I booked a weekend rate for an August stay and chose this hotel mainly to take advantage of a two-stay, get one night free Marriott promotion, but in hindsight it wasn't worth the extra money. It was a prepaid reservation and I received my credit card statement prior to arrival and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that they had charged my card in euros instead of the local currency at a rate of about 1 pound= 1.33 euros when the rate was about 1.285, the high in 2012. I didn't authorize them to charge my card in euros, but two other Marriott hotels in Cardiff and Warsaw did the same this summer, even though about 20 other hotels I've stayed at in Europe in the past two years have charged the local currency and my bank tacks on a conversion fee of 1.25 percent instead of 3 or 4 percent extra. At check-in and check-out the staff were unable to fix this problem. I was given an e-mail address of the company that processes the payments instead. The hotel is about a 20-minute walk from the train station and on the edge of the center, so there are quite a few others with more central locations which offer much better value. My room was a bit smaller than the average Marriott. It's an older building whose interior looks much better than its exterior. The breakfast was average compared to other Marriott/Radisson/Hilton properties. The best thing about the Birmingham Marriott is its pool area. The pool is quite large for a hotel pool, good for swimming laps and not crowded. There's a whirlpool and sauna as well and it was open quite late, can't remember exactly. Of the 5 cities I've visited in Britain, Birmingham ranks at the bottom in a tie with Glasgow.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Have stayed at this hotel on a few occasions previously, when visiting Birmingham for a night out/wknd away. Rooms are spacious, decor is old fashioned but gives it a warm feeling, and the beds are very comfortable. Hotel is in a good location, far enough from Broad Street to not hear evening noise, but close enough to walk to bars and restaurants. Breakfast is very good with a varied choice. Bar service and overall hotel service is good.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple