“One night excellence”

Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Worcester
“One night excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

In town for "Strictly" roadshow so wanted somewhere near to walk to the NIA, restaurants and shops. This Marriott is ideal, 10 minutes away from those venues but near enough to be handy. Right on Five Ways, car noise kept to a minimum by double glazing. Great room, excellent staff.
rather crowded and hurried breakfast room. Small car park.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

The good
Congrats to house keeping team who prepared an immaculately clean room and ensuite.

The bad
We couldn't stay longer.

The ugly.
None.

What the boss needs to know.
Staff who went the extra mile - DES for sorting out our car parking and SIMRAN for understanding what customer service really means, truely outstanding. These two people alone would make us book again.

Room Tip: Level 5 for the best views
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jo C
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Marriott Hotels are the best hotels around the world but the comfort and services I got in Birmingham Marriott Hotel is worthy to be appreciated more than any other hotel in the world.The rooms were clean and outstanding as well. I am happy to review it 5 star on my list.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was attending a conference at Birmingham University's Edgbaston campus and stayed here for one night. The arrival welcome was very friendly and succinct. I ran into a member of staff as I exited the lift and he helpfully directed me to my room. The front desk dealt very politely with the fact that I pitched up in reception in my PJs having locked myself out of my room when putting my dinner tray outside! Apparently, this is not an uncommon occurrence - the fire doors have a hefty swing on them. My room was lovely and spacious and, unlike many hotel chains, Marriott had not seen fit to stuff it full of lots and lots of furniture. As a business traveller I have four regular gripes. The first is that the desk and chair provided for the use of of the business person hoping to catch up on emails are usually not fit for purpose. Most frequently, as here, the office chair won't rise to the level that makes typing comfortable. That's where the usual surfeit of pillow/cushion supply comes in useful. My second is my immense frustration that what is clearly intended as a business hotel then charges guests extra for wifi especially, as here, when the public wifi is free to those on the ground floor. My third gripe is the lack of sockets beside the bedside for those, like me, who have my alarm set on my iPhone and who want to listen to a bit of music before I go to bed whilst, at the same time, leaving my phone to charge overnight. This Marriott room had no bedside sockets. My final gripe is the over filling of a room with furniture, happily not a problem here. Breakfast was good and the waiters we're very friendly. Checkout and taxi ordering was equally very friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Beware of the very robust door closures, especially when placing your tray outside your room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hill_Resident_SE14
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We recently stayed at the Marriott for a pre-Christmas shopping weekend. The location is great - just a 10 minute walk away from the centre. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating and we were allowed to check in early, which was useful. Our room was very pleasant and comfortable and the breakfast was very good indeed. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

In many ways one can reject an America Chain Hotel and select a smaller boutique hotel, but,as an English person now living in North American,I have come to expect a certain standard and in many parts of the world many small hotels do not live up to my expectations. I stayed for eight nights at the Marriott Hotel, Five Ways, Birmingham, England . This hotel is an exemplary hotel that i will always return. The Front of Hotel staff are wonderful and helped us in every conceivable way David and Chloe on the front desk went out of their way to solve several difficulties that were made by the central Marriott reservation system. The rooms are large and clean, although I would advise not getting a room with an adjoining door as some neighbours can get loud . We changed our room and the staff moved us while we were out. The breakfast is a wonderful spread and offers a large variety of different food hot and cold. The evening meal was terribly slow, but meal was fine.

Everywhere I travel I find poor Internet connection, I get dial up, I have to change passwords ever day- not here high speed internet is available free at no charge.

If either on business or pleasure in Central Birmingham this is the only hotel to stay at.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael M
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Definitely the second best hotel to stay at Birmingham after the Hyatt. I stayed there in a single room which was a perfect compact hotel room with all amenities. I was there during the ICC Champions Trophy cricket tournament & lot of ICC dignitaries were staying at the place. The hotel is well maintained & the service was top notch. The buffet breakfast if taken at 1030am can well serve as an brunch & can keep you away from food till late afternoon. The health club was at the lower floor & I had a nice time at the jacuzzi. Location wise its good, as you can walk to nearby super markets, restaurants & walk around for a night life tour of the city. The parking lot is small though. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo