“Horrendous service.”

Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Ranked #26 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I came to this hotel last week for a murder mystery event in the evening. I cannot comment on the hotel itself or the rooms as I did not stay but feel I need to write this review as the service was appalling and spoilt the night and my friends hen do.
We arrived at the hotel at around 7pm to find that 4 large groups were squashed into a very small room with no space between any of the tables. Me and a friend then went to the bar and waited 20 minutes to be served despite being the only people waiting. As a result we missed the start of the event.
The food arrived and firstly there was a very long mix up with the starters despite us pre-ordering and dietary requirements being clearly stated. The vegetarian mains then did not arrive until 25 minutes after the meat mains had been served, the result being that plates were being cleared around me as I was eating. The food itself was average, cold and the vegetables hard.
One of our party had requested a dairy free main. She was brought a plate of food to be repeatedly told it was gluten free. When she had said "dairy free" back 3 times the waiter asked her "what is dairy free?" (!!!!!!) After eventually explaining and waiting for an age she was given chicken and green beans as her full main course, no alternative food was provided.
Pudding was average and as the bride to be was eating hers it was taken away when she wasn't looking when she had not finished. Whilst I was eating my desert I was asked if I wanted tea or coffee which I declined. The waiter then, from my right hand side, moved my plate and arm out of the way as my fork was raised in order to put down a coffee cup that I did not want.
My friend went to complain and was told by staff that they were not sure who the manager was. I am generally not one for complaining about service but it was horrendous from start to finish. The staff were slow, rude and unprofessional. They had received over £500 for our group in total and it was not worth %10 of that price. I sincerely hope that this is not the attitude take when catering for important events or weddings. Awful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank La_la_laura123
drake_2011, Director of Sales at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we are very sorry that your experience at the Birmingham Marriott was not up to the standard we would want to deliver, please accept our apologies for the issues that took place. We pride ourselves on the quality of service and of food that we deliver and are investigating the circumstances around the event you attended to see what caused such issues. We regularly hold these events and this is the first time we have experienced feedback of this nature following one, please contact us directly on 0121 452 1144 to discuss this further. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed here as a family for 3 nights last weekend 28th. March and have to say it was a lovely experience. From the front desk to the cleaning staff everything was excellent. Breakfast very good, self service and anything you require to eat is available even a chef to make eggs the way you like or omlettes or pancakes and waffles. Never had to ask twice for something staff very efficient and well trained and well mannered. Always happy to assist. I have to complement Des the hotels concerige he goes out of his way to be helpful for directions or just calling you a taxi or just a chat. Tks Des you made our stay very enjoyable. We had 2 rooms, girls had a twin room and we had a king and girl checking us in made sure we were on the same floor as they do not do interconnecting rooms of this type. Rooms and beds very comfy and sound proof, no noise from traffic. Also all rooms airconditioned.
Would have no problem recommending this hotel and will def stay again if I return to Birmingham.

Room Tip: Room 312 corner room King size is a lovely room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank annbaby
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My second time in this hotel and I fully recommend it. Well located, good services and comfortable and clean rooms. Breakfast offers a good variety of options, including a chef cooking customized eggs according to your preferences. There is also a nice spa but I did not have time to use it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Fla-Tathi
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This was a treat my husband gave me all the staff were lovely and of course we were just a stones throw from the symphony hall were we went to a recital, i really enjoyed it and i cannot praise the staff enough

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vera d
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The service at this hotel was awful. Our group requested an early check in and arrived at the hotel after the hotel confirmed that this may be possible.
On arrival none of the three rooms that were booked were ready, so we went through to the bar and waited. We waited for another hour, and not once did anybody from reception come through to speak to us. We waited longer, and by this time, it was the normal check in time and the rooms were still not ready.
One hour after the normal check in time and one of the rooms was ready, so we were given the key and the group (12) of us went up to the room with our luggage in the hope of at least getting changed as we needed to be at a restaurant we'd booked at 5pm and it was already 3pm. The room was small, so there was no way we could all fit in there.
We called down to reception and were told our other two rooms would be ready in 10 minutes. Another hour and a few calls down to reception and still nothing!
At this point we are all getting very frustrated. It is now over two hours after normal check in time and the reception staff were very unhelpful.
After complaining about the wait we were offered one drink voucher for the bar, but this was only available to the people that complained, not the whole group. How ridiculous!
Our rooms were finally ready and after a quick change we left the hotel and were over 30 minutes late for the restaurant.
Not once did we receive a decent apology for the delay. Very disappointed in this Marriott. We expected a lot better!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
drake_2011, Director of Sales at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are very sorry that you have had such a bad experience when using the hotel, please know that we focus and pride ourselves on our customer service and take your complaints very seriously. We are currently investigating the circumstances around our experience and will create a solution to ensure it does not happen again. We cannot guarantee an early check in due to not knowing when previous guests will depart - especially on our family rooms which are limited in number.

Please accept our apologies on this matter and if you wish to discuss this further, please do contact the hotel directly on 0121 452 1144. If you ever visit Birmingham again, we hope you will give us the chance to display the fantastic customer service we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here for five nights as we were visiting relatives in Birmingham. Check in was quick and easy as we had no luggage (luggage did not arrive with our flight but was later delivered to the hotel). Our room was upgraded to an Exec room which was a corner room so was quite spacious. Two robes, and two pairs of slippers were provided. Plenty of towels, and all of the toiletries (except for soap which the housekeeper never replenished). Also no washcloths the first day (later some were provided). Bed was not quite up to snuff. The mattress needs replacing I think. We also got a mini refrigerator and a bottle of water was provided for free each day. Only two electrical outlets were available though and one was out of the way. Some more outlets would be very welcome. Overall stay was good with a couple of glitches. The safe malfunctioned a couple of times which required a call down to reception. Both times they responded promptly. The second glitch was when we returned late one night after attending an event and found the front doors locked (with key and not key cards) and no one at the front desk to let us in. This was a first for us, having never been locked out of a hotel before LOL. A little disconcerted, we knocked with no answer. So we waited a while and sure enough the front desk person eventually returned and was very apologetic as he explained that they normally lock the doors for security reasons and he had to step away to assist a colleague who was in training. Not a problem, but a note on the door in the future would help as I'm sure others could make a big deal out of similar circumstances.
Parking was pricey at 12.50 GBK per night. Spaces were not always available when we returned at night but they were happy to help us park in other areas.
Free wifi was available downstairs in the lobby, restaurant, and bar but would incur a charge in the rooms. It was quite strong as you could even pick it up in the hotel parking lot.
The breakfast buffet was OK (there is a charge) not as lavish as many other Marriotts. I have found that there is often canned fruit on the buffets in the UK? What's with that?
Check out was easy. I have stayed at this property before and will probably stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Non2urist
drake_2011, Director of Sales at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Good morning, thank you for your recent review. We are sorry that we failed to replinish the items in your room in the correct manner, and that you felt the bed was lacking. We take these comments very seriously as we aim to offer a fantastic customer experience with every stay. Likewise with our communication with regards to locking the front door - we will ensure this is rectified for future guest stays. We hope you will return to stay with us in the future, if we can do anything further for you, please let us know. Thank you again.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed at the marriott on the night of our wedding, we stayed in a suite. The suite was amazing, but the service was appalling. This hotel is spoiling the brand that marriott is known for. Yes the hotel is nice in terms of the rooms, but the service needs much improvement either by staff re-training or getting rid of the present staff and employing ones who know what good customer service is. I felt really let down by the service given and on the night of our honeymoon which was a day after valentines day.

When breakfast was brought up, they didn't bring up enough milk or condiments, and when we requested dressing gowns as none was present in our suite, I felt as if the receptionist thought I was lying and had to call down again to request for them. The service here is slow and they do not go out of their way for any customers who stay here. It is a shame.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We are very sorry that you have had a poor experience during your recent stay with us. At Marriott we pride ourselves on delivering fantastic customer service and are disappointed that this was not the hotel stay you expected or deserve. Please know that we have taken your comments very seriously and will investigate and follow up. If you would like to discuss this further, please do get in contact with us. Thank you.