“Just one night”

Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“Just one night”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived very late to this hotel but having stayed here before I knew what to expect. If I can I will look to stay with the big six hoteliers throughout the world. Nothing changes just the look. This hotel is actually a classic looking building and quite elegant. Arrive a reception and greeted by smiling employees who offer an upgrade which is appreciated. The room is bright, large and classic marriott style. The view is of a busy road layout but surprisingly quiet. Beds are always coomfortable so a good night sleep had. Breakfast is a large selection with availability of some foods cooked to order. Overall another good experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Gordon T, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks for your great feedback. I am glad you had a good stay with us - I have passed your positive comments onto the reception team.

Gordon Tyler - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Heswall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here on Saturday July 12 th for an annual get with old university friends. I did quite a lot of research before booking and was delighted that this hotel lived up to my hopes. The service was excellent from the first interaction and continued from there. We needed an extra bed which was brought in immediately to our room, the room itself was spacious and nicely furnished. We had forgotten a couple of things Which guest services happily brought up within 5 minutes. We didn't use the leisure facilities but breakfast was excellent the highlight being freshly made omelettes.I can highly recommended this hotel for location, service and facilities.

• Stayed July 2014
Wow - I am glad you had a good stay and everything worked out well. I have emailed all the staff your comments to make sure that we keeping looking after our future guests as we did for you. Thanks for the feedback.

Gordon Tyler - General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 12 July 2014

In town on business for several days and was recommended to stay here. Being a Marriott Rewards member doesn't hurt either. Overall, a decent establishment to stay at. I was given a room facing the Five Ways turnabout, which provided a nice view upon looking out the window. Check-in staff was efficient and helpful. Although one cannot fault the hotel for the location, getting to/from the hotel from the downtown Birmingham canal areas requires a bit of walking through a park with homeless people and a questionable stretch of Broad St. The restaurant in the hotel however needs some attention. After long day of traveling coupled with a work meeting, decided to stay indoors the first night for dinner. Other than another lady eating alone, my co-worker and I were the only other patrons. However, after about 50 minutes after ordering, we still only had a glass of water to work with. Even the glass of water had to be requested and not automatically offered. The pre-dinner salad was a miniature version that one would expect from McDonalds. Fortunately, main course itself when it arrived was decent. Otherwise the meal would have been a complete disaster. Be careful about the breakfasts in the morning. The lady attendant greeting the guest has a list of previous night hotel occupants and their room numbers. You just tell them your room number and get seated. Thinking that, I was under the impression that breakfast was included. WRONG. I was charged a whopping $28.01 USD for breakfast each day for the two mornings I ate there. Breakfast was OK, however overpriced. Overall, nice hotel for sleeping. Better options if you want to be further down Broad St. closer to the pubs and restaurants/canal area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
I am glad you had a good stay with us. Your feedback about the restaurant is really helpful, and we have since changed both the menu and set up. I will ensure that we get the basics consistently right like offering drinks upfront but I am glad you enjoyed your food and will pass those comments onto chef.

Gordon Tyler - GM
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Family visit. We had we thought booked two twin rooms with an added bed in one. So 2 and 3. Instead of which we got 2 double rooms and a suggestion that 3 of us shared the quite small double bed. Once we had pointed out that this was not going to fly they did give us a room with a fold out sofa. Not entirely what we had hoped for but the internet booking system is pretty awful. Over the years we have been big users of Marriott in the UK but using their website is beyond a joke.

However that issue aside the staff, throughout our stay, were amongst the nicest I have encountered in the UK. Absolutely top notch front desk and good bar staff. If I could book the hotel directly I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Gordon T, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Jonathan,

Thanks for your feedback following your recent visit - after the initial problems with making the booking, I am glad your stay went. Feel free to call the hotel if you would like help making your bookings - we will do our best to assist. I will pass your nice feedback back onto our front desk and bar team.

Kind regards,

Gordon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Not a bad position just on fiveways island 5 minutes from the city centre, a couple of minutes walk from Broad Street.
This hotel is reasonable value, £99 for a room including breakfast, which by the way was excellent. Best scrambled egg I've had in a long while, (most hotel scrambled egg is just a liquid mush, but this was perfect).
Good, friendly staff, we only stayed one night and unfortunately couldn't stop to use the spa, but the fact it has one is a bonus.
The hotel itself is a nice building but the interior is a little tired. (Not quite the same quality as when it was The Swallow Hotel, when it also had an excellent restaurant - you wouldn’t dine here, but there are lots of excellent restaurants in Birmingham, Simpsons is half a mile away) So a bit of money spent upgrading this hotel and it would be very good.
The bar was a bit uninspiring, no atmosphere and a bit basic in style. We got back to the hotel around 12am and the bar was closed! But in fairness the staff opened up the bar for a last drink which was very impressive, they went the extra mile to please the customers and that has to be applauded.
The rooms were well equipped but again a bit basic in design and style, the carpets are a bit weird, especially the hallways. The bathroom was large and comfortable. All in all, no complaints, an ideal hotel for the city centre, (if you're prepared to pay for a taxi into the absolute centre), a good quality reasonably priced hotel. But with a little extra spent on the public areas and rooms it could be excellent.
Apparently you can stop here for £63 for a room only - no cancellation - which is excellent value when compared to the true budget hotels.
Oh and it has a good car park, about £12 per night but parking around here is difficult so it's good value, you just need to make sure you are aware of the automatic security posts!
We would stop again, if only for the breakfast!

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gordon T, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review - particularly the comments about the staff I will pass them all on - this is exactly what we need to keep doing. In terms of the bar....I agree with you and have exciting plans to give it more of a buzz and a bit more atmosphere. Please come back and see what we have done over the next couple of months.
tamworth
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I want to thank julia and chloe on reception although they couldn't find booking managed to get my mum and dad in and upon check in found out it was my moms birthday ! After arriving back from a swim a gorgeous dessert plate was delivered to the room this made her day and its little touches like this that go such a long way ! I also had problems with my phone and chloe was more than happy to help fix this for me ! Guy on leisure very informative too :) thanks

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for your great comments - I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry about the phone - our housekeeping team have now checked all the phones in the building to make sure they are working - sometimes they get knocked during cleaning and the cable comes out.
Burton on trent
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed for just one night Saturday 28 June.
Very friendly staff, room wasn't ready when we arrived but given complimentary drink and then really nice room. Very clean and well run.
They even lent us an umbrella to take out for the evening.
Would definitely use again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gordon T, Manager at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Glad you had a great stay with us. Sorry about the weather!