“Excellent staff”

Ranked #28 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A group of us stayed at this hotel on Saturday, July 19. Booked under the spa package, we were already pleasantly surprised by the very reasonable rate offered by the hotel before our arrival; for £110 we got a light lunch, dinner, bed, breakfast, access to the spa & one treatment. The hotel was clean & welcoming, and conveniently located near Five Ways station. But best of all was the hotel's excellent staff. Every one we came across was extremely friendly & couldn't do enough to help us. You really got the impression that they were all genuinely happy in their jobs, which creates a good atmosphere. Even though the restaurant staff were clearly rushed off their feet their service was still top notch & we thoroughly enjoyed our meal..
The spa was great & we all really enjoyed our treatments.
The rooms were clean & tidy. Breakfast was superb! My friend assures me the food from the omelette station - where a chef makes omelettes & waffles to order - was excellent.
I'll definitely be returning.
Thanks to all at the hotel for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gemma L
Gordon T, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hi - Thanks so much for your feedback. It was really busy the saturday you stayed with us, but glad we got the service right and you had a good stay with us. I have emailed all the staff your comments, as they worked extremely hard that day and it is nice when they get the feedback and guests appreciate via this forum.
Gordon Tyler - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

On arrival in May 2013 i was pleasantly surprised with the luxurious lobby, the easy layout of the reception... bar/grill, conference facities and leisure facilities. The staff were very helpful and professional. The double i occupied was more than spacious, airy, clean and well laid out. Very comfortable bed and beautifully tiled, clean and well equipt bathroom. I would certainly recommend staying there.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank lorraine_calderwood
Thank you for taking the trouble to review the hotel. I am glad that the staff were all helpful and professional and everything was in order with your room and hotel facilities. I love seeing 5 star rating - I will pass that on to the staff. Much Appreciated. Gordon Tyler - General Manager
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a Friday for a wedding and it was well up to standard. The staff were excellent in taking care of us and making sure we had everything and the room was clean and well maintained.

Others should learn from the Marriott see my other Birmingham hotel review

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review - your feedback is really important. I am glad you had a good stay and everything was up to standard. To be honest I am a bit disappointed we didn't wow you with our service and standards, which is our aim, but I am glad you had a good trip to Birmingham.
London
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived very late to this hotel but having stayed here before I knew what to expect. If I can I will look to stay with the big six hoteliers throughout the world. Nothing changes just the look. This hotel is actually a classic looking building and quite elegant. Arrive a reception and greeted by smiling employees who offer an upgrade which is appreciated. The room is bright, large and classic marriott style. The view is of a busy road layout but surprisingly quiet. Beds are always coomfortable so a good night sleep had. Breakfast is a large selection with availability of some foods cooked to order. Overall another good experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Gordon T, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks for your great feedback. I am glad you had a good stay with us - I have passed your positive comments onto the reception team.

Heswall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here on Saturday July 12 th for an annual get with old university friends. I did quite a lot of research before booking and was delighted that this hotel lived up to my hopes. The service was excellent from the first interaction and continued from there. We needed an extra bed which was brought in immediately to our room, the room itself was spacious and nicely furnished. We had forgotten a couple of things Which guest services happily brought up within 5 minutes. We didn't use the leisure facilities but breakfast was excellent the highlight being freshly made omelettes.I can highly recommended this hotel for location, service and facilities.

• Stayed July 2014
Wow - I am glad you had a good stay and everything worked out well. I have emailed all the staff your comments to make sure that we keeping looking after our future guests as we did for you. Thanks for the feedback.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 12 July 2014

In town on business for several days and was recommended to stay here. Being a Marriott Rewards member doesn't hurt either. Overall, a decent establishment to stay at. I was given a room facing the Five Ways turnabout, which provided a nice view upon looking out the window. Check-in staff was efficient and helpful. Although one cannot fault the hotel for the location, getting to/from the hotel from the downtown Birmingham canal areas requires a bit of walking through a park with homeless people and a questionable stretch of Broad St. The restaurant in the hotel however needs some attention. After long day of traveling coupled with a work meeting, decided to stay indoors the first night for dinner. Other than another lady eating alone, my co-worker and I were the only other patrons. However, after about 50 minutes after ordering, we still only had a glass of water to work with. Even the glass of water had to be requested and not automatically offered. The pre-dinner salad was a miniature version that one would expect from McDonalds. Fortunately, main course itself when it arrived was decent. Otherwise the meal would have been a complete disaster. Be careful about the breakfasts in the morning. The lady attendant greeting the guest has a list of previous night hotel occupants and their room numbers. You just tell them your room number and get seated. Thinking that, I was under the impression that breakfast was included. WRONG. I was charged a whopping $28.01 USD for breakfast each day for the two mornings I ate there. Breakfast was OK, however overpriced. Overall, nice hotel for sleeping. Better options if you want to be further down Broad St. closer to the pubs and restaurants/canal area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
I am glad you had a good stay with us. Your feedback about the restaurant is really helpful, and we have since changed both the menu and set up. I will ensure that we get the basics consistently right like offering drinks upfront but I am glad you enjoyed your food and will pass those comments onto chef.

Gordon Tyler - GM
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Family visit. We had we thought booked two twin rooms with an added bed in one. So 2 and 3. Instead of which we got 2 double rooms and a suggestion that 3 of us shared the quite small double bed. Once we had pointed out that this was not going to fly they did give us a room with a fold out sofa. Not entirely what we had hoped for but the internet booking system is pretty awful. Over the years we have been big users of Marriott in the UK but using their website is beyond a joke.

However that issue aside the staff, throughout our stay, were amongst the nicest I have encountered in the UK. Absolutely top notch front desk and good bar staff. If I could book the hotel directly I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Gordon T, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Jonathan,

Thanks for your feedback following your recent visit - after the initial problems with making the booking, I am glad your stay went. Feel free to call the hotel if you would like help making your bookings - we will do our best to assist. I will pass your nice feedback back onto our front desk and bar team.

Kind regards,