“Highly recommended”

Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Ranked #23 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Going to be right on the button about this review. I'll get the negative bit out the way first. This is the second Marriot where I've found that you can't get access to the movies on the tv. However, on this occasion and after 2 requests to reception, this issue was sorted òut.
We went to Birmingham for a weekend shopping trip as it was the missus's birthday. The hotel I think is in a brilliant location. I'd heard about the local traffic problems so deliberately didn't want to stay central. The car park cost £12.50 for the stay which I feel is reasonable. We taxied the 3 miles to the main shopping centre and that cost a fiver each way. Again, cheap at the price for a hassle free shopping trip. Another great thing about the location is that Cineworld and Odeon have cinemas less than 200 yards away, if that's what you fancy. Mind you, reviews of the Odeon were horrific.
We chose the new mobile check-in service and actually checked in via my phone the previous evening. On arrival, a quick signature, key collection and we were in. Good stuff...
Hotel itself, brilliant. Lovely room, lovely big comfy bed, brilliant bathroom and the bath, simply amazing. So big and it filled up in less than 2 minutes. Type of bath you'd want in your own place. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Spa was brilliant, relaxed in the hot tub for an hour and then a quick float around in the pool.
Dinner in the restaurant was amazing. Totally relaxing, great service and fairly priced. Good food as well.
Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel and we loved it so much, we'll definately return later in the year.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Majorcadream
Gordon T, General Manager at Birmingham Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

I really appreciate the great feedback. With regards to the movies not working intially - we will do some more checks. I check a number of rooms myself each week, and it works when I do it - but that doesn't mean to say that sometimes the settings get altered and doesn't work first time as it should. I can only apologise about this - and make sure we get it right going forward.

It was interesting reading that you came to the city for the shopping and entertainment. Next year with John Lewis opening there will soon be even more choice - but as you say - there is so much on our doorstep with 2 cinemas a very short walk away. I am glad you enjoyed the food in the restaurant and found it reasonably priced - we changed our menus recently and have done some more training to make sure we get it consistently right for our guests - so I am pleased you had a good meal with us.

Do come back and see us again.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I always try to avoid big chains and prefer to sleep in smaller hotels but it's always amazing to stay in a Mariott. The service is always outstanding and the team is really very well trained and takes care as if it would be a small boutique hotel and not a chain company. Very well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andreas_H151

To read your comments about being an outstanding team and to care about our guests as if we were a small boutique hotel is truely music to my ears. I fed your comments back to the team at our morning meeting today. We love what we do and whilst we are smaller than many of the city centre hotels - we feel this is an advantage rather than a disadvantage. It was our pleasure to host you and your family and when you are next over from Germany we would be delighted to be your base again - Birmingham is an exciting city and we are well located to make the best of what is to offer here or to travel onto the attractions in nearby towns such as Stratford or Warwick.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Really super staff made us feel really welcome, and very rare to find such a Victorian building of character amongst the brutalist monstrosities of Birmingham at such a good price. Super location accessible to the canals and local railway station enabled us to easily enjoy the best parts of the city all by public transport: Cadbury World, Thinktank, Severn Valley Railway and the informative and enjoyable canal tour. Very good restaurant too. Highly recommended.

BTW your question about the neighbourhood should include historic interest and cultural activities, which this hotel is very good for.

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff.
3  Thank Jammy A

Wow - it is lovely to get your great feedback about your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to the hosts that looked after you.

We are proud to be one of Birmingham's true classic hotels and our size means that we are small enough to care about all of our guests and gives us a chance to get to know people while they are with us.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at the Birmingham Marriott hotel for a family wedding that was taking place at Highbury Hall. The hotel staff were very friendly and were very helpful. They provided the correct information for the organized transport and were able to direct us to other facilities when needed.
The breakfast was outstanding and our room was clean, comfortable and well equipped.
We would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma W

I am delighted that you liked our famous breakfast and felt well hosted by our staff. Please come back again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Though small, the rooms were clean and comfortable. However, the carpet could have done with a clean and the furniture upholstery was worn. The room safe was broken! In the spa/gym/pool area, the changing rooms were grubby. The staff were all friendly and welcoming but someone should train the bar staff properly: a slice of cucumber, not lime, is usually served with a Hendricks gin. Altogether, not as good as expected from a Marriott.

1  Thank Catherine M

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I am glad you had a good stay but I take on board your feedback on the room. It is really unusual for one of our rooms not to be up to scratch but I have visited your room and can see it needed a few touches - which have since been made. In terms of the accompanement for a Hendricks Gin - I have spoken to the F&B manager and now offer it as you suggested.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is an excellent Marriott Hotel. Check in was very efficient and staff very helpful and friendly. The hotel is in excellent decorative order and very clean. We stayed in a double double (414). The room was a really good size as well as a good size bathroom - the room was also very quiet. Breakfast was excellent (hot!) and we had very good omelettes made to order. I
would recommend including breakfast in your room rate. We did not use the swimming pool but went down for a look and it looked very nice. The hotel is just 5 minutes walk from Cineworld and 5 minutes in a taxi to the Bull Ring. We also went to TGI Fridays which was about 5/7 minutes from the hotel by taxi (there are taxis outside the hotel). I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and is definitely worthy of its own 4 star rating.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are usually the quietest and always stay clear of the elevator.
2  Thank Margaret O

I get a real buzz from reading great feedback like this - because it means that we are doing our job as we should do and looking after our guests. We are really proud of our hotel and what we do, and I am glad you found our location good for going out and enjoying all that the city has to offer. I came to Birmingham 6 years ago and amazed at how it has got better and better over that time and found some great places to visit. Did you know within a few miles of here are 4 michelin starred restaurants? Do ask any of our staff for recommendations - there are many pround Birmingham folk here!

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Rooms were top notch, staff were friendly and extremely accommodating. Spa facilities were ok, although gym lacked equipment. Excellent selection for a buffet breakfast, wish i had had time for seconds! Brilliant for a business stay, will definitely be returning

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Flyingsolo1235

Thanks for your feedback. I am glad you thought the room was top notch - our engineering team do a full room inspection and maintenance check on our rooms every 10 weeks to make sure that they stay in great condition. I am pleased you found all the staff friendly and helpful - we only recruit people that want to work in hospitality and our training is geared to equip them to anticipate and look after our guests needs. As a small hotel we do have limited gym equipment but at least one of all the major types of exercise equipment. At some point we would like to extend our gym and provide a greater range of equipment but I don't have a date for that. I am glad you had a good stay - do come by again.