“Perfect valentines treat for excellent price!”

Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham
“Perfect valentines treat for excellent price!”
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My fiance and I stayed at the Birmingham marriott for valentines day for one night. We booked online at laterooms.com and for £150 for both of us we enjoyed a standard room, 3 course meal, a bottle of champagne and chocolates on arrival as well as breakfast the next morning.
Check in was at 14:00 and we arrived at around 14;30. We were told the room wasnt quite ready and that they would need another 20 minutes or so. We had lunch in the hotel bar while our bags were taken to our room.
The rooms its self was very spacious, spotless and had a very large, comfortable bathroom. After relaxing in the room we used the hotel swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. This was all to a high standard and decorated like a spa with a very relaxing feel to it. (Ideal for a romantic break).
Dinner on the evening was a 3 course set menu for £30 per head (although ours was incuded in our lateroom deal)
The menu was limited and a little basic (The chocolate fondue was overcooked at had tuned into a chocolate concrete) But nothing really worth complaining about.
My partner and I are very laid back people and try to avoid complaining but I must admit I was very irritated at poor room service.
The mini bar was not stocked and had a note on the mini bar itsself telling us to press the 'anytime' button on the telephone for a member of staff to stcok the minbar. I did this and was told it would be seen to. 2 hours later i was still waiting. I called back to be told by a different person that the mini bars are never stocked and you have to call for room service with specific orders of whats you want. I ordered 2 diet cokes, waited 20 minutes (I was very irritated at this point) and had to call back to remind them before it finally came.
Breakfast: The breakfast in the hotel was buffett style and possibly the best selection of cold and hot food ive ever seen in a hotel (Including top 5* london hotles ive stayed in).
Pratically every type of preprepared fruit and pastries aswell as smokey salmon, bagels, full english breakfast and much more. This was all to a very high standard.
Generally the whole stay was lovely. The room was much nicer than what we had hoped for and well worth the price we had paid. The swimming pool was a fantastic extra and the breakfast was fantastic. Id definately rate this as one of Birminghams nicest hotels and recommend it to family and friends.
Id go back for valentines day next year!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Rochford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We stayed for 2 nights at the hotel and overall were very impressed. We arrived at around 1 p.m. and were checked in straight away, there were no queues and we were given our room even though it was before check in time. The check in clerk was very helpful giving us useful information about the city. The room was very clean, spacious (especially the bathroom) and in excellent condition, We did, however, have a problem with our toilet not flushing on the Saturday morning. We called the front desk who were very apologetic and said they would send somebody to look at it and the maintenance man turned up within minutes and had successfully repaired the toilet by the time we returned the room a few hours later. There was a nice leisure area which had gym equipment, a pool (nicely heated), a spa and a steam room. Again, this area was maintained well. Our rate included breakfast which was excellent, a good range of cooked and cold items nicely presented and a high quality. The 2 downsides we found to the hotel were the parking and the location. Parking was £10 a night and the car park was quite small and was full on Saturday.The hotel is located at the end of Broad Street which is where all the bars are so is very handy for those but it is a good 15-20 minute walk into the shopping area and from the stations. This was a little further than we would have wanted as you couldn't pop back to the hotel easily but this wouldn't stop us from staying at the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I stayed here with my husband and sisters and their husbands recently whilst in Birmingham for our father's 80th birthday celebrations. We were all really impressed with the quality of the facilities, breakfast, service etc. for the rate we paid of £84 per room per night inc. breakfast. I stay in lots of hotels overseas and UK hotels are sometimes a bit of a disappointment, but not this one! It was comfortable, welcoming and rooms were of a good size (one sister was upgraded to a superior room, but ours was pretty big too, although another sister had a slightly smaller one, seems like it was the luck of the draw!). The check-in staff were very efficient and helpful and breakfast staff were some of the friendliest I have ever come across - so top marks for the Marriott!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Stayed at this hotel with my wife. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The room was excellent and the leisure club was very relaxing. The hotel had a nice bar area and we were made to feel very welcome. I would highly recommend this hotel if you want superb service at a hotel that is centrally located for leisure and business. Will definately go back!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Had a brilliant stay at this hotel, not a bad word to say about it! The room was lovely, the health suite was lovely, the reception staff were friendly and the food was good too. Would stay here again without a doubt!

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 December 2008

This is the second time I have stayed at this Marriott, the first was back in October with my mother and we shared a room with 2 single beds. This time (December) it was myself and my partner, in a nice king bed room. The rooms in this Marriott are a really good size, and have really nice bathrooms. It says on their website that it was recently re-furbished, which is obvious. Rooms are light and airy, modern and have a classy upmarket feel about them. Most recently, we stayed in room 209 which had a LOVELY bathroom. The only silly thing about these hotels, and Marriotts in the UK in general, is they still have pretty small, older televisions. In a room this size, you really need something bigger/widescreen.

I am (now) rather heavily pregnant, so in October, my mother and I decided to sample the hotel restaurant food. I was pleasantly surprised, and the waiter was also really lovely. Definately a better experience than I expected, with decent food, although as usual in a hotel it is over priced. This time, my partner and I decided to have a quick bite to eat in the hotel bar before going to see a concert at the NIA. Equally, food was pretty good for a hotel- my partner had the hamburger which he really enjoyed.

It only took us a max of 10 min to walk across the road to the NIA, which is fantastic. We had some friends who also attended the show, and were glad we got there a bit early to relax in a hotel as the traffic in the area was awful and a lot of people arrived late. Infact, the only negative part of the hotel was the parking, we got there early at 2pm to enjoy some time relaxing in the pool/spa in the afternoon (nice pool) and at 2pm the small hotel carpark was already full. At first we were turned away, but then as we said we were an overnight guest ( i think a lot of people must park there for meetings, etc) they managed to double park us and simply kept our keys in reception. The first time I went in October, I got the train, the station is about a 5 minute walk away, I believe from memory it is Five-ways and is just one stop away from Birmingham New Street station. An easy alternative to parking!

The hotel sits at the top of Broad street, where there are loads of restaurants and bars in walking distance. Also across from the hotel is a Tescos which is handy for getting some snacks/drinks if you dont want to pay hotel bar prices! (£3 for a softdrink!) The room mini bar fridge was empty and switched on, so we kept some drinks in there.

• Liked — great location, espec for the NIA. Big rooms, nice decor, over-all nice atmosphere. Nice indoor pool.
  • Disliked — Parking - tiny carpark outside. Suspect alternative would be a multi-story and expensive.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Dublin
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Just back home from a 2 night break with 7 friends while attending an event in the NIA.

Ok, firstly the Hotel is fantastic, so fantastic it does not belong in Birmingham. We found Birmingham to be dirty, very very rough, intimadating and all round awful place.

The Hotel has an ideal location at the top of Broad st (main st). The staff are excellent, very atentive and in great form all the time. The rooms were very big, fab beds, modern and of a high standard.
The gym, pool area, saunas etc are fantastic, very clean and well worth a visit. The breakfast is nice, but my only negative point was the male european staff member, I think hes head of staff there, anyway he came across as very rude, certainly in comparison to the girls at reception.

If you have to go to Birmingham, i would receomkmend you stay here. Be warned, the Hotel is a 5 min walk to the centre of Broad st but to walk you must go through a park with pedestrian tunnels which at night we avoided and got taxis.

Dave.