“Very Pleasant”

Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Ranked #26 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Stayed in Very pleasant stay, staff were extremely friendly. Rooms were spacious, bathrrom was nice and bright.

PArking onsite available at approx £13 for the stay - you can go in/out as youplease - just ensure you get a token to get out - so there's no need to pay until you check out. Information correct at the time of stay - check prices with hotel as this could have changed.

Location is fairly ideal as it is located not too far from restaurants, broad street etc.

Would certainly recommend.

There are newer reviews for Birmingham Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 20 January 2011

As a Marriott rewards card holder I tend to stay within the brand given the choice. This particular hotel compared with the majority of marriotts I have stayed at could only be described as very poor.
The hotel itself is badly dated in parts. The room(due to late on the day booking the room was a double) @ £170 pounds for the night was far below what I have come to expect from this chain. Carpets are old and worn. My shower was no more than a dribble when turned to hot. The toilet cistern made a running sound continually to the point of disrupting my sleep. The bed which is something that I usually look foward to in a Marriott was terrible. The final straw was house keeping hoovering outside my room at 8.30 in the morning. Not a pleasant alarm.
It may sound picky but normally I'm a very easy person to please, this hotel has been a real let down.for the cost there must be better.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank Cgh76
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We stay regularly at many of the Birmingham hotels when we're back visiting friends or out in the city. The Marriott was booked expecting the 'superior' room to be just that, unfortunately this place is jaded, dated and bland. Check in is performed in a totally perfunctory way, no different to what you'd get at a travelodge.

The room was.... Bland! I felt grey just spending time in the room. All fixtures were really dated, the sofa was in bad condition, springs broken etc. No wifi available, only cabled paid for Internet. Bathroom was sparse, with a clear window to the outside with dirt and dead flies in the double window void.

Would not return. The recently refurbished crowne plaza is far far better, du vin, if you like the slightly heritage style beats it and even the getting-scruffy Malmaison is an improvement on this place.

The one positive is that the small self service breakfast selection was good.

Reviewed 31 December 2010

We stayed at the Marriott for two nights during the cold snowy week before Christmas. The hotel was fairly quiet, judging by the silence along our corridor, and the Five Ways roundabout outside our window was no doubt not as busy as would normally be the case. Nonetheless, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and comfortable and the bed and pillows were excellent. I had two incredibly good sleeps of over 10 hours. We made full use of the excellent swimming pool and jacuzzi area, particularly as the weather meant we were not all that inclined to go out much. We had one shock when our bill arrived at our room and included the bar drinks bill for another party. However, the staff member at the reception desk sorted it out without any accusing remarks and corrected our bill. All in all, we would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

This hotel has been my favourite for business travel in Birmingham - I go to Birmingham annually and this was my third visit. Simple and friendly staff evere willing to help, spacious comfortable rooms well furnished and warm efficient service in restaurants (these are perhaps not fancy, but again great value for money and the service really makes you feel welcome at the hotel). A nice compact gym that is available from 6 am to 10 pm and central location with convenient outlets and the happening places and rail station not too far - walkable distance unless the weather gets unpleasant - make Birmingham Mariott a great value proposition - I doubt whether I will ever try another hotel in Birmingham so long as Mariott is around! keep up the great service, look forward to being there again! Free internet access is my only request for consideration - that would go a long way to help business travellers like me who may want to catch up on important messages! Hope they provide this in future.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We booked and stayed for 3 nights, Cost 520 euros for 3 nites, when we got there we were told it would be an extra 30 euro for breakfast each morning, Breakfast was awful, very limited choice, hot breakfast buffet was cold, very average dining and breakfast area.When we checked in we were told that our room was a smoking room which we did not book, neither of us smoke and that there was no other room to change too, why would you book a smoking room when we did not smoke, receptionist was not very helpfull, then when we got to our room, there was no hot water, complained to reception and had hot water the following night. Not a 5 star hotel, have stayed in much better 4 star and even 3 star hotels, avoid avoid avoid, much better hotels to say in Birmingham and will cost you half the price of the "5 Star" Marriot.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnnyc72
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel following a very late night working in a building close by.

I called the telephone booking line and was quoted a price. I decided to book in when I got there rather than on the phone.

I arrived at 2:00am. As the hotel is big I expected a couple of members of staff to be on the reception desk. There was no-one there. I waited a while and then finally someone came from a back room. he had a lot of problems checking me in on the system. Eventually a second man arrived and completed the transaction, but i had to go through an awful lot of explaining to him about the price quoted by telephone, eventually a colleague who was also staying at the hotel explained that we were working for the government and had a special rate. That sorted it. By now we had been there for around 15 minutes though.
We asked if the bar was open. The first man (I believe he was the head porter) was very kind and opened the bar for us and made fresh coffee. I was surprised by the level of serivce at this time in the morning - it was excellent.
My room was very large with a big bed, double wardrobe, television and lovely bathroom. I slept well until the traffic woke me. The location is great for me as it is opposite where I was working. It is not so great for anyone wanting to stay in the centre of Birmingham. It is quite noisy (I had a room facing fiveways island) and the area immediately around it is not so nice (I wouldn't walk there alone at night).
I would stay again if I needed a hotel quickly, but I have stayed in better hotels in Birmingham for less money.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business