“Very slick city venue”

Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Very slick city venue”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I spent a night at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham this week and was very impressed. The hotel is very central to the cities night life, but is an oasis of quality away from huberis of Birminghams teaming nocternal delights. My room on the 20th floor was bright, clean with a I spent a night at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham this week and was very impressed. The hotel is very central to the cities night life, but is an oasis of quality away from hubris of Birmingham’s teaming nocturnal delights.

My room on the 20th floor was bright, clean with a very comfortable bed, and a fantastic panorama of the cities neon vista. I dined in the hotel’s restaurant which whilst very good is somewhat pricey. Two courses and wine cost £58. That said the hotel markets itself as one the premium venues in the city and largely lives up to it.

The staff are first class, the concierge who took my bags from the drop of, area the restaurant staff (who were knowledgeable about their menu and wine) to the very pleasant reception staff. The only two minor issues I have are, Car parking (whilst included in the cost of my stay) is 5-10 minutes’ walk from hotel, and the cost I paid £165 B&B whilst my two clients paid £90 for identical rooms, which left a mild after taste in my mouth. In all other respects very highly recommended
very comfortable bed, and a fantastic panorama of the the cities neon vista. I dined in the hotels restaurant which whilst very good is some pricey. Two courses and wine cost £58. That said the hotel markets itself as one the premium venues in the city and largely lives up to it. The staff are first class, the the conciege who took my bags from the drop of, area the the restaurant staff (who were noledgable about their menu and wine) to the very pleasant reception staff. The only two minor issues i have are, Carparking (whilst included in the cost of my stay) is 5-10 minetes walk from hotel, and the cost I paid £165 B&B whilst my two clients paid £90 for identical rooms, which left a mild after taste in my mouth. In all other respects very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Drop of luggage if arriving in your own car, its a long walk from the car park
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed here 10-11th nov ,rooms really comfortable very clean ,bell hop can't do enough for you ,we were there for slimming world ,woman of the year at the ICC next door as you may or may not know there is a bridge connecting the Hyatt to the ICC so no need for you ladies hair to get ruined lol ,breakfast a bit pricey ,very central for shopping and you can leave your car all night and day £15 ,man u were staying there with alex ferguson ,playing Aston villa on sun 11th

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for a quiet stay and good view
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

I loved my stay at this hotel, nothing was too much for the staff and everything about the place was such a high standard. I got breakfast delivered to the room which I think would have been enough to feed 6 of me! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2011
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Myself and my travel partner stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. Upon arrival, the concierge was extremely helpful and this continued throughout our stay. However, as most other people have pointed out, the reception staff were not as welcoming.

Initially we had only booked for one night, but we decided to extend our stay as some of our friends were staying the extra night too. When we asked about booking the extra night, we were glared at and advised we would have to go back in the morning. That evening we ate in the bar area and had a few drinks with our friends. The service at the bar was second to none, we pretty much didn't wait more than 5 minutes for the staff to notice our glasses were empty and them being topped up, even after the bar got quite rowdy.

The next morning we were due to check out and go to another hotel, which was closer to the venue of the show we were attending. However, as I explained we had fiends staying at the Hyatt, so we went down to reception to check in for another night. The female staff member that we spoke to was incredibly rude. When I asked if there was rooms available so that we could add an extra nights stay, she looked over at another staff member, rolled her eyes, and loudly asked "I don't know, have we got any rooms available or not?" The other staff member proceeded to check the computer with this lady looking over her shoulder. Eventually they agreed that there was rooms available. When I requested the same room (SHOCK HORROR!), she said she would have to check that too. After around about 45 minutes at the check in desk, we had finally managed to book in to the same room for 1 extra night.

After speaking to our friends, they advised they were going to be staying on at this hotel for a couple more nights - suffice to say, we did not. We moved to the Hilton Metropole the day after.

Apart from the reception/check-in staff, the Hyatt is actually a lovely hotel. The views are amazing, it is very clean, the rooms are reasonably spacious, and the food is tasty and well cooked. I would recommend it to others, but I would recommend you ignore the attitude of the check-in staff - you only really have to deal with these people twice during a stay. For most other enquiries, the concierge is the most helpful I've ever encountered.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better! The views are spectacular.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I was attending a conference in Birmingham so stayed at the Hyatt. I was upgraded to a Regency Club room on the 22nd floor. The Club was very quiet - I have never seen only 2 people in there in the evening. The upside was that there was plenty of food and service was good. As I was working I ordered room service. The service was quick but the steak was only OK and the vegetables were cold.

Breakfast in the Club lounge - I was the only person there. Food selection for breakfast is poor but plenty of coffee and juice.

Staff are always very friendly at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed for one night on a business trip. I really enjoyed my stay.

The gym facilities were excellent. My room was lovely and room service was very tasty. All the staff I encountered were great.

I stupidly left my Kindle in my room and it was returned to me with no trouble at all via special delivery. I really appreciated this, as this was entirely my fault!

Would definitely stay again if I am ever in Birmingham.

• Stayed October 2012
London
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My friend and I were having a girlie weekend in Birmingham and got a deal at the Hyatt. The room was on the 19th floor, very comfortable and had great City views. The staff were fantastic and could not do enough for us, and the steak we ate in the restaurant for dinner was the best Ive tasted in many years.

The chaps on the concierge were helpful from the moment I stepped out of my car and their good humour was infectious.

I will definately be back for more!

Room Tip: You will be offered canalside or cityside - both are lovely. We were in 1908 so commanded a brillia...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends