“Let down by small but significant points”

Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Firstly the good points. The vast majority of the hotel is very good, well presented, with efficient friendly staff and very good food. This is a large hotel with a large conference capability not only within the hotel itself but also nearby. Accordingly check in/out can sometimes be a little busy and you can expect to queue for a short while at peak times (5-10 minutes). That said the reception staff are excellent and very polite. The concierge are also excellent, attentive and very friendly (despite spending most of their time outside in the snow and wind).

Now the downside. Some readers may consider these petty, but in my opinion, significantly let the hotel down. All the problems can be found in the bedroom.
Despite the control box beside the bed, the room was cold and remained cold even after I turned the heating up to 25 degrees plus. In effect, the control made no difference.
The television repeatedly re-set itself every couple of minutes. Regardless of the channel you are watching, the channel menu would appear every two minutes or so (blocking out the screen), before changing channel, and then changing channel back to where you started all within about 5 seconds (therefore interupting the programme/film you were trying to watch). Then the page/channel numbers started loading across the bottom of the screen for no apparent reason. Imagine you were watching the television whilst sitting on the remote (I wasn't) and you get the picture (or not as the case may be). I did consider that the remote may be having an effect and removed the batteries, but this made no difference. Put simply, the television had a mind of its own.
Next, the quilt for the bed was too small, head to toe it was the right length, side to side too short (see photograph). If the bed was occupied by two people, the quilt would be 6-8l inches short on either side.
This was a non-smoking room, so again disappointing to find burn marks (presumbly at least one from a cigarette) on the furniture (again see the photo's)
Finally, the furniture had seen better days, with large sections of laminate chipped/knocked off giving the impression that it had been salvaged from a second hand junk shop (see photographs)

Considering the money that has been spent on the remainder of the hotel, it is very disappointing that the bedrooms appear to have been completely overlooked by the management. four and a half stars for the hotel (other than bedrooms) 2 stars for the bedrooms.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank S D
Write a ReviewReviews (3,241)

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed at the Hyatt for 2 nights on the snowiest weekend so far this year. The hotel is excellent. Positioned in the centre of Birmingham service was excellent. Concierge could not do enough for us. Rooms excellent. Spat and swimming pool excellent. Would highly recommend will defiantly stay there again if in Birmingham.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I see I'm not the first person on TripAdvisor to find the Hyatt Regency has a nasty habit of adding unauthorised costs to debit cards AFTER departure!

I paid in full 1 month in advance for a 2 night hen weekend last week and dutifully gave my debit card on check-in to guarantee any other costs. On departure I then settled a bar/restaurant bill for £89.

However, on checking my bank account, I was concerned to see Hyatt had taken a further £110 several days after my departure and without my authorisation! On querying what this amount could be I was eventually told I owed money for an extra night's accommodation. This was clearly incorrect and I thankfully had all the paperwork to prove it. It then took me a large number of increasingly cross emails to get my money back. I had to chase and chase to make my case. Finally, I was told they had looked into my case and agreed I was right - but the apology was very luke warm. Depsite copying in several senior members of the hotel team, I am yet to receive a satisfactory/any apology from anyone outside the Accounts team.

I am astounded that a hotel like Hyatt thinks it is acceptable to keep debit card details on file and add unauthorised transactions to them in this way. I cannot understand why they did not first call me to check whether this cost was legitimate and save us all the hassle which followed. That I then had to effectively prove I was right and keep asking for my money back, and again and again, shows what a poor attitude they have towards customer service and the extent of their inability to effectively keep on top of their administration (something I had noticed prior to booking as well). It is a shame that this over-shadowed an other-wise pleasant stay.

My advice to anyone staying at the Hyatt? Pay only in cash. If you have to give them your debit card, keep an eye on your statement for several days after, and if you are unlucky enough to have problems, your persistence is essential in getting them resolved. I would not stay at this hotel again and, even as a very regular traveller who has stayed in hundreds of hotels, I have at least learned to be much more careful with my bank card in future.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank charlotte s
Reviewed 22 January 2013

fast check in and was offered an upgrade, wow! regency club service and facilities were a real treat. the leisure facilities were a wonderful bonus to a city centre location. great for getting to the NIA. staying with my 9 year old daughter, after such a fantastic stay she wanted to move in! i would go back every stay now and have recommended the hyatt to all my friends and family.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 22 January 2013

The 25th floors hotel is well situated close to the Gallery and the City center. In a 15 minutes walk you would be in the Bullring Shopping center. New street station is 10 min walk. Good quality of food at the Atria restaurant. The room are quite spacious however they would need to be refurbished. to qualify for being modern. The flour to ceiling window opens onto the City.

Room Tip: I recommend to book a room in one of the highest level (20 and above) to have an impressive view of...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I stayed here for two nights on business. The checkin was quick and efficient, the room was large and very comfy and the gym 24hrs was well equipped for a hotel.

Great location if your staying in Birmingham. The concierge staff in particular were excellent and very helpful.

The downside was the room was cold and the heating didn't appear to work - room 809, although I didn't report it.

I will visit again!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2013

a very comfortable hotel. rooms are clean and well kept. long floor to ceiling windows give spectacular views. Easy to reach from the station. Good food in the restaurant. ideally located in the center of town

Room Tip: get a room on a highfloor for the best views
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business