“Fab Weekends Stay!”

Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Fab Weekends Stay!”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Following my stay at the Hyatt Regency last weekend, I can honestly say that the hotel staff right from the outset were very polite, helpful and made our 2 night stay the best me and my partner have had in a long time!
I dont usually tend to stay in 'plush' hotels due to the expense but thought I would do for our special occasion, and it was everything I expected from a 4/5 star hotel - room was very clean and spacious, noise pollution was minimal if anything and accessibility to the bars and restaurants was fantastic! Being upgraded to VIP was a nice surprise as well!
All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Birmingham. Fab weekend!

Room Tip: We were lucky to get the new room, room 1808!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Without doubt, The Hyatt Regency is one of those few hotels that has everything you could want at a reasonable price. Well almost everything. Our 2 night stay, 29th and 30th May, started well with a good first impression of a superb quality hotel in an excellent location. The concierge was courteous and helpful. Checking in was done professionally and speedily. Our room was clean and spacious. All in all a good quality room in a splendid hotel.
Unfortunately our stay was not without incident. At 5am, the following morning there seemed to be either someone vacuuming the corridor or a War of the Worlds type spaceship hovering outside our room. This resulted in no further sleep and a complaint to the manager who ensured us; after looking at CCTV; that housekeeping had not started at 5am and that it was probably a malfunctioning air-conditioning unit.
The manager, Salman, handled the situation perfectly, moving us to a suite and giving us a complimentary bottle of wine.
Unfortunately this was rather spoiled by extremely rowdy behaviour in the canal area until 3am Saturday morning. The noise was punctuated by police sirens and ambulances on a regular basis and at 5am the air- conditioning unit started again.
This second bad night’s sleep was followed by possibly the worst and most over charged breakfast we’ve ever had. The sausages were without any doubt the ‘worst in the world’, we had to wait 10 minutes and ask 3 times for poached eggs; you’ve guessed it 3 arrived one after the other, ‘like buses’; most incredibly there was no bacon and that had to be requested. Our ‘full’ English breakfast had no eggs, no bacon and terrible sausages.
All in all a very poor stay partly saved from total disaster by Salman’s attitude and the friendly staff.
To sum up.
The positives. Nice pool, nice rooms, good location, courteous concierge and staff.
The negatives. Very noisy air conditioning, terrible breakfast, noisy area at weekends.
Suggestions. Don’t stay near 20th floor to avoid air-conditioning noise, ask for a city view at weekends to avoid the noise from the canal area and don’t eat breakfast in the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Suggestions. Don’t stay near 20th floor to avoid air-conditioning noise, ask for a city view at week...
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,807 helpful votes
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I have stayed in all the good hotels in Birmingham & this has to be the best. From the moment the concierge team take your bags & park your car, you know the service & hotel are going to be top notch.
Rooms have great views of the city landscape & are well appointed & comfortable. Try to get a high floor to maximise the view & avoid traffic noise.

Room Tip: High floor are best for the view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leedsaway67
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I have been lucky enough to have stayed at some of the best hotels around the world and my stay at the Hyatt in Birmingham on 21st and 22nd May 2013 was brilliant. It was a business trip where I was making a presentation to a few hundred people so I really needed a haven to relax in and the Hyatt provided that superbly. I could not find anything that was not done courteously and efficiently and also with good grace and humour. The concierge were great as was reception. That is always a good start. Top quality rooms, room service and breakfast. A real pleasure to come back to after a busy day. Birmingham has been on the move in recent times and is lucky to have such an excellent hotel that matches its ambitions.

Room Tip: If you can try to get on the 24th floor where the views are spectacular
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Roger F
Wilts
Reviewed 31 May 2013

They say you get what you pay for. And that, in many ways is true, but regardless of what price I've paid to stay at the Hyatt, Birmingham, ( and I stay here frequently) I've never been disapointed.

To sum up my latest stay (bank holiday weekend- May 2013) I would say it was perfect.
Staff here are so attentive. It's an American company and you get exemplary customer service from the moment you arrive at the front door to the moment you check out.

The hotel is clean throughout, supplies are plentiful (in the room and the commual/social areas) and staff are happy to help (this makes a huge change to the usually abrupt reception you get in lower class hotels, and as much as it pains me to say this, usually by English staff). Most of the staff here are from overseas and therefore the expectation that you are rewarded based on your service is still part of their thinking.

I ate in the hotel restaurant on two occasions: firstly for an evening meal (£29 for three courses and two glasses of quality wine) and secondly for afternoon tea (£19 for a selection of sandwiches, cakes and scones and plentiful tea). On both occasions the service and food was faultless ( I personally didn't like the chocolate cake, but that's personal preference).

The pool/spa and fitness suite is fantastic and well equipped with towels and shower products (although the quality of the products is poor) and the changing rooms are clean and tidy at all times. Spa treatments are pricier than other hotel spas and availability is limited but the treatments are good quality.

My personal sports towel was mistakenly taken in the hotel's laundry on this occasion and I've since heard that it won't be found so the hotel have offered to replace this.

The only downside to my stay was the very, very firm bed. I had to use the blanket provided as an under sheet cover, but this is, of course, personal preference.
Overall an excellent stay again.

Would I return: definitely
Would I recommend: Yes, and with confidence.

1 Thank kelasarj
Prenton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed on a Saturday night, from the time we arrived until we checked out we were treated like celebrities and definitely valued guests.

The concierge team had the doors to my car opened as soon as I switched off my engine and our cases and suit hangers were soon to follow and in our room, my car was parked for me and was safely looked after until our departure where, despite it being about 30 feet away was driven over to us outside the hotel entrance.

Check in was friendly, efficient and took all of two minutes.

Rooms are spacious and well equipped.

Breakfast selection was excellent, we had a slight glitch but I only mention it for the professional and speedy manner in which it was rectified.

We didn't have time to enjoy what look liked a fabulous leisure club.

If I have one negative it is the charges associated with minibar items which often in other hotels of 'this excellent standard' and including of the same group Andaz come free.

On a positive, this hotel attracts its share of celebrities and I can tell you from first hand experience (as there were some in the restaurant at the same time as us for breakfast), you are afforded the same level of excellent service as 'they' receive

After this stay, I cannot envisage stopping anywhere else when in Birmingham.

Room Tip: Unless you get vertigo ask for a room 'high up' choose canal view or city view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrew S
Quorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked this hotel as we were going to a concert at the Symphony Hall. On arrival the concierge was polite and parked our car for us.
The reception area is light and airy with the bar area situated in the middle. The receptionist was helpful and service really quick.

We had a drink in the bar which is waiter/waitress service.

We had a room on the 15th floor which overlooked the canal and the room was big and clean.

We have stayed in a number of hotels in Birmingham and this has to be the best for the Symphony Hall as it has a connecting bridge to it.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the canal are great - good view.