“Good location, efficient, but rooms dated for a major chain”

Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“Good location, efficient, but rooms dated for a major chain”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Handy location - good for ICC conference centre, the station and so on. Service and communal areas up to the standard you'd expect from the Hyatt chain.

Rooms however are dated - see of beige, scratches and chips on the wooden furniture. Low water pressure in the shower, one tiny bottle of shower gel. Perfectly clean and OK - but given this hotel states it is "luxury" not quite up to standard.

Also a tendency to make money on extras - which is typical of more expensive business hotels - £5 a hour for WiFi, £2.50 for a bottle of mineral water in the room - so factor in to price of your stay.

Having said all that perfectly good for a business stay in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Many people would consider the Hyatt to be "the premier" hotel choice on Broad Street.

I've stayed in almost all the other hotels in the vicinity and although it's very nice, the rooms feel very dated and could certianly do with an update. For me, this is one of the main reasons why I would find it difficult to justify the extra cost for the Hyatt over say the Hilton Garden Inn, which is a far more modern hotel and more suited to a younger person

One grip is that car parking is round the corner at The Arena which is a bit of a pain, although the concierge were happy for us to leave the car parked directly outside the entrance whilst we checked in and dropped our bags off in the room. Currently they are in the process of demolishing a building in between the hotel and the parking facility and you have to walk directly through the wet particle storm that is created by the workers blowing droplets of water onto the building to minimise dust travel.

Good points:
The staff are friendly and very helpful
The lobby and bar is very nice (can't comment about the restaurant)
Inclusive use of pool and spa (didn't get a chance to use unfortunately)

Bad points:
Very dated rooms, in need of a refresh
Car parking 4 minute walk away

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency for my husbands birthday. The Manager Salman Rashid kindly upgraded us to a Club Room and we were on the 22nd floor with a view of the canal, the room was very spacious. All staff were friendly. On arrival back to London I realised that I had left my Ipad locked in the safe, I rang the hotel and the house manager Robert kindly went and checked the room and called me back to say he had it. I received my IPAD this morning sent special delivery packaged very well. I cannot thank the hotel enough.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here for a few nights on and off in May and June on business. Location of the hotel is perfect; close to all the action without any of the noise. Some colleagues thought the rooms to need a revamp but I think the hotel was perfectly fine.

Stayed in twin rooms and double rooms and all were perfectly well looked after and quiet. Bathroom was clean and spacious with decent products.

Breakfast was lovely, and even better when taken in the middle of the atrium. A wide selection of hot and cold food, fresh juices and a la carte items. The bar is good, though bottled beers a bit expensive. Had a couple of meals - fish & chips/caesar salad - all very pleasant.

Sadly never had the chance to check out the other facilities....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice this year. The first was OK and we had booked a double room so that my wife and I could get a massage together.

Two days prior to our stay we were informed that the double massage bed had broke! and would we settle for separate massages in separate rooms. We weren't prepared to do this.

To be fair to the Hyatt, they did offer us FREE massages at a later date, but again in separate rooms. We booked the hotel again & stayed the night. Had a lovely room, enjoyed the swimming pool and the massage was not bad.

We would re-visit the Hyatt but the cost would have to be lower that it usually is AND when the hotel get's the long promised double massage bed in location and is up and running.

Room Tip: Try to get the upgraded deal on a room & you can get free drinks & bites in the early evenin...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed here recently for one night when I was in town for business. Clean and tidy hotel with very comfortable beds. I would recommend this hotel to my colleagues and anyone travelling to Birmingham and needing to stay centrally.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 4th floor, which was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt on Broad St in Birmingham for one night whilst I was on a night out with my partner.

This hotel has a very good reputation and I was looking forward to stay.

The reception and seating area as you enter are stunning! However, when you get to the lifts there is a strange smell in the place I found and the décor is very dated. The rooms are similarly dated and although they are finished to a good standard, there is no doubt that they are in need of modernising.

We were on the 8th floor facing the side street below and our room had a king size bed. It had all the amenities you would expect.
I was surprised that late at night the road traffic and general noise from Broad St was still audible on the 8th floor. It wasn't too bad though - but just a point to note if you are a light sleeper.

We didn't have breakfast but it smelt really good as we left and generally this hotel is in a fantastic location. It is only several minutes walk away form Brindley Place, ICC, NIA and the city centre.

The only reason this is getting a 3 star from me instead of a 4 star is because I had very high expectations. Don't ask me what I expected but you can get the same sort of standard from Jurys Inn just down the road from the Hyatt for the same or less cost.