“Ok but not great value for money”

Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Ranked #6 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“Ok but not great value for money”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The room was ok with modern decor and a good view and the location is great, it was also good in that it was nice and quiet and you couldn't hear other guests, but there were a couple things I would have expected from a 4 star hotel in this price range. I would have expected WIFI to be free, I'm fairly certain this is standard in most hotels these days. Also there is no hotel car park, there is a public car park but this charges £13.50 per 24 hours - I would have though the hotel could have arranged some discount for hotel guests. The rate we paid (£129 per night) did not include breakfast - if we wanted the breakfast buffet this would have cost us £17.50 which I think is quite steep! All these extras add up, and I'm glad we did not pay a higher room rate as it would not have been worth it. Also the shower was very annoying, difficult to get at a comfortable temp and you had to reach in-front of the shower head when switching it on and off which resulted in my hair getting drenched. All in all I possibly would stay again but only with the discounted rate.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessHLondon
Dominik S, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear JessHLondon,

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist you with. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the upcoming future.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Midlands
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Lovely room overlooking canal area. ideal location for visiting the German Christmas market & going to the theatre. Staff all very polite & friendly. Drinks @ the bar not too expensive for hotel of this quality. Pillows were extremely comfortable!!! Cannot fault this hotel at all

Room Tip: higher floor rooms have great views of canal/city
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank WelshAnnie
Dear WelshAnnie,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments from our guests.

Manston
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We booked the Hyatt because we had stayed there before and enjoyed everything about it. As usual the standard of the rooms and politeness of the staff were excellent. This time we returned with more members of our family too.

There were two things which marred our stay. The first, the lack of a private changing area in the female changing rooms for the pool. We had not had time to utilize this facility on our previous visit. If we had, we might not have returned. I ended up changing in the toilet. I dislike intensely having to disrobe in with the young things who are very happy displaying their wares. My confidence regarding my body image was waned over the years and I have never been happy baring my all. Nor was I the only one, a number of women commented on the lack and a couple were disgusted. Especially since there seemed to be an unlocked empty room being used as a huge storage room which would have suited the purpose wonderfully with the erection of a few curtain rails.
The second thing which disgruntled us was the issue around 'children' in the bar area. We had visited the bar earlier in the evening with our 14+yr old son and sat well away from the bar itself as we are well aware of the laws on alcohol. Our son did not have a drink at all, not even a soft drink. We had observed a piece of paper taped to the inner door of the bar (from the hotel) stating no children, but no age was stipulated, assumed this was regarding younger children we entered.
No member of staff said a word about our teenage son sitting there playing his tablet, despite them moving around our table several times.
Later that evening, after we'd been out for a meal we returned for a nightnap before bed. Again our son sat with us and this time within moments we were pounced upon by a member of staff (a manager I believe) who told us our son could not sit in the room with us.
In my view we were not breaking any alcohol laws. If this hotel has taken it upon themselves to instigate their own laws around children sitting in the bar room this information should be given to guests with children on arrival and be clearly labelled with the age in prominent areas - on both sets of doors (external and internal).
Considering the amount of families we observed staying with children at the hotel, I this is an issue that 'head office' ought to review

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Carol,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the changing rooms in our leisure area and the are restriction in our bar.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Very convenient location (walking distance from both the business district - Brindley Place) as well as the city centre and the new street trainstation. The rooms offers excellent views either over the canal network or over the city (the view opens up to the new library building)
Very helpful staff. The bar is excellent if you want t try out cocktails and just spend an evening after work.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SShinghal
Deas Sshinghal,

I am pleased to hear that the staff provided such excellent customer service. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with the team. We have very dedicated members of staff here who will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognized.

Chorley
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I always struggle sleeping in hotels when away on business, but the Hyatt had the comfy-est beds. Well impressed. I eaten in the hotel restaurant on the first night. The food was ok - I initially had to send a chicken meal back as it was undercooked. Was pretty expensive also. The room rate didn't include breakfast either, and at almost £18, I thought this was overly expensive.
Rooms were clean and comfy, and the room climate control worked well.
Was well impressed with the hotel fitness room.

Will stay here again. In my opinion, this hotel was much better than the Copthorne hotels that I usually stay in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kevin M
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments from our guests, although I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with one of your meals.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Head Chef to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday in one of their refurbished rooms, room was quite nicely done out and i swear you could still smell the paint.
room was big with a large double bed which was comfortable and room was clean all fresh bed clothes and robes in the bathroom.
Large television if you get to watch it, the only downside was the shower which left water on the floor probably due to the side panel not fitted on the bath correctly.
that was the only down the staff were brilliant and looked after you well and as for the breakfast as much as you can eat and cooked fresh and lots of choices.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve C
Dear Steve,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

now that's some hotel to be, porch, elegant, beautiful etc. etc.
cant go wrong:-)))))))))))))
enjoyed my stay here
did not visit the restaurants, just ordered room service as you know why????
service was quick and the food nice and hot
rooms are very spacious and I loved the bath the most

Room Tip: want to see some action choose the broad street side facing rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple