“Give free wifi. for goodness sake!”

Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
England.
“Give free wifi. for goodness sake!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

A solid four star hotel, with some decent weekend deals. We stayed for £95 for a king-sized room with breakfast - an overpriced £17.50 a head - as an extra. Elegant modern building in the heart of Broad Street, attentive welcome from staff on a desk based outside who organise car parking and efficient check-in along a large reception area. Good quality rooms, with robes and luxurious touches, a view over the city, comfortable bed. Ideal stay for Symphony Hall, Repertory Theatre or any event at the conference centre opposite, plus being at the heart of Birmingham business. Minus points? A charge for wifi - beyond crazy in a hotel of this quality which specialises in business guests - and some stolid staff at breakfast, missing out on Brum's natural friendliness. The wifi particularly galling when paying approx £130 for a night, plus newspapers and parking.

Room Tip: For those who want spectacular city and far-reaching urban views, particularly at night, go as high...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank layaboutEngland_
Dominik S, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear layaboutengland_,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Birmingham.

We are currently having a refurbishment in out hotel. As a result of your feedback we will look into your concerns during this process. I also understand you were disappointment with the Internet Service. Our corporate office has introduced a new standard regarding our Internet. We are expecting the new internet services to take effect within the upcoming months. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

I do hope you will continue to make Hyatt your preferred choice of hotel. If there is anything further I can assist with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Domink
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chirk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Had couple of nights here. Good price through booking .com. Room only. (Half the price of booking direct through hotel.) little niggles, fridge not working properly , not that we purchased anything £3 packet crisps.no thankyou,Shower needs attention,but overall ok.
Fantastic view room 1701.(being Christmas lots of activities to see)easy walking distance to most areas.Good alrounder

Room Tip: 1701.great views over looking city
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear tafftwo55,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the room amenities.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Maintenance Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Also I am excited to inform you that as of August 2013 the hotel has been undergoing a refurbishment of our guest rooms as well as public areas. Should you like more information regarding the refurbishment please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Banbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is a big hotel, if your not scared of heights I'd suggest requesting a room in one of the top floors as the view across Birmingham is great.
The room and bathroom were showing signs of wear but that I would expect from a busy CC hotel. Despite that the room and bathroom were both impeccably clean, with very good quality, soft fluffy towels and robe.
The room had a large "L" shape desk, if visiting on Business.
Bed was probably medium to firm and very comfortable.
Room service meal was quick and of very good quality.
The breakfast was a delight, a true English Breakfast and a great deal of choice.
Staff were friendly and talkative which made you feel welcome.
Parking is free and is located in a public multi storey car park about 300 metres from the hotel (if you want parking on your doorstep then I would recommend the Crowne Plaza, which is literally built on top of the car park.
I would recommend this hotel for Business or as a weekend base in the City Centre

Room Tip: Higher you go the better the view, also it's further away from the street noise
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Tal,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments from our guests.

I am pleased to hear that the staff provided such excellent customer service. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with the team. We have very dedicated members of staff here who will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognized.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist you with. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the upcoming future.

Brighton, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

First the good stuff - the location is excellent. The hotel is just about visible from New Street train station so we navigated on foot without a map just by heading towards it. It takes 5-10 minutes, is a pretty safe route and mostly traffic free. If you can walk it's preferable to negotiating the total mayhem that is the New Street station taxi rank! The hotel location is fantastic for the Rep Theatre, Symphony Hall and the Christmas German market is also nearby - see below.

This was a family weekend. On arrival at reception, after lots of keyboard tapping, we discovered that we had been upgraded due to some mix up with the booking, unluckily as it turned out. So, our room was a double on the 21st floor. The room was a decent size and the window very expansive with a view of an impressive urban landscape, canals and nearby bars and restaurants.

But inside the room ..... the carpet, whilst well vacuumed for sure, was in a stained and sorry state reflecting years of beverage drops and other indeterminable mishaps. The furniture looked cheap, tatty and old. There was a cobweb on the wall. The shower was impossible to adjust without either alternatively freezing or scalding yourself, or risking flooding the bathroom - a problem experienced by previous occupants judging by a particularly intense patch of yellow stained carpet just outside the bathroom door. The bed was great - big and very comfortable and clean.

No free internet. A pair of small bottles of mineral water sat on a side table (and not in the minibar with the rest of the chargeable items) giving the initial impression that they were complimentary. But it was only on closer examination that you could see the price tag of £2.99.

We had the further misfortune to be disturbed by loud, foul-mouthed yelling and door hammering twice in the night in the corridor. After the second disturbance, at 4.30am, I rang reception and reported the problem. It did quieten down shortly after that but I never got to know whether the hotel did anything. Generally though, if you are a light sleeper, you will need earplugs. The background rumble from the street below penetrated the massive window and the sounds of police sirens, bar music, shouting and general drunkenness in the streets below were astonishingly distinct, even at such an altitude, till the early hours.

The drinks service in the foyer bar area was awful as others have noted. We waited so long to be served the first time that we didn't realise anyone was actually taking orders, and went to the bar. The second time we waited 40 minutes for the drinks to arrive and when they did some were wrong.

So many things went wrong that we all received a complimentary extended check out time till 2.00pm. Yet we still received phone calls demanding to know why we hadn't yet left the room - and then they then tried to charge us on departure. None of this was helped by our room keycards all deactivating and locking us out of our rooms at one stage.

I can't comment on the swimming facilities - others in the party said they were good. The German Christmas market is just a few hundred years from the hotel and is huge and popular. It seemed that, with all the stalls there is so little room for people that the whole area was overcrowded to the point of feeling dangerous. At some of the pinch points, where there were no means of escape and no crowd management, I saw several people becoming panicked by the crush, and others becoming aggressive and abusive with all the jostling. So take care with that.

This was my first ever stay in a Hyatt Regency hotel - my rating reflects a sense of overall disappointment for which I was totally unprepared given the mostly very good reviews on here.

Room Tip: Some travellers mention refurbished rooms - I would check the state of the room before committing.
Dear pauldean78,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the condition of the room, the noisiness and the service at our bar.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Food & Beverage Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights to visit the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market, for which this hotel is excellently located. It is also close to the Museum and Art Gallery (see the Staffordshire hoard!) and the Library, which is a very ugly modern building but offers good views from its upper floors and terraces.

We had an excellent room on the 15th Floor which gave us good views, particularly of the Canal Basin below. The room was a good size and the bed comfortable. Staff were very helpful and the pool and spa (on Floor T) were restorative after a day tramping the streets and markets.

Everywhere in Birmingham seems to offer free WiFi, so it is difficult to understand Hyatt's policy of charging £9.95 for 24 hours. It is also unnecessary for an iPhone, since 3G is available throughout the building.

We chose to eat breakfast outside the hotel, rather than pay £17.75 pp, particularly since there are excellent alternatives in local cafes.

Room Tip: The higher the better for the view. There are 26 floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Peter,

Norwich, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just had a one night break at the Hyatt in Birmingham. I wish it had been more!
I could not fault it. 6 of us had three rooms. Spotless and well equipped.
Front desk were very helpful. When I asked if there was a better deal in relation to breakfast we were offered vouchers which gave us the buffet for £10 each and my little girl ate for free. It was a great breakfast.
Parking good too, we got well over the 24 hours for £13.50.
The spa facilities were super nice and super clean.
Will we stay here again. Yes we will!!!

Room Tip: Ask about the vouchers for breakfast.
Dear ambarpete,

wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

The bed & pillows were so comfy. The room was clean and a good size with a mini bar fridge. The staff were all excellent. Very handy location. The shower controls were on the bath taps making it difficult to turn the shower on/off without getting your hair wet. Would recommend. We had free 24hr wifi access but not sure if this is the norm.

1 Thank littlesisterWales