“Very disappointing”

Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I booked the Hyatt for my husband's birthday as it had previously been billed as Birmingham's 'top' hotel but you would be better going to Hotel La Tour as this stay was very disappointing on a number of fronts. The location is good and the concierge are excellent and friendly but that is about where the good experience stopped. Our room was OK - clean and spacious but it was absolutely freezing and the air conditioning/heating could not be fixed and no offer of a move as it was full. The room service menu is very limited and because of it's convenient location to Broad Street, we were staying on a Saturday night and got woken up constantly by party-goers and people coming and going, all clearly drunk, at different times of the night and morning, so we never got hardly any sleep. We couldn't wait to leave the next day. Overall very disappointing and don't stay there if you want a good night's sleep on a weekend night.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can to avoid disruption at night
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dominik S, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear joby69,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the broken heating and the noisiness.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Maintenance Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

I do hope you will continue to make Hyatt your preferred choice of hotel. If there is anything further I can assist with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Only stayed the one night but was impressed on several counts.The service was efficient and friendly and the executive room splendid.The views from the floor to ceiling window were lovely and I would certainly recommend the Hyatt if you are visiting the Symphony Hall as there is a passage way between the two.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear IscaSouthWales,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments from our guests.

I am pleased to hear that the staff provided such excellent customer service. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with the team. We have very dedicated members of staff here who will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognized.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist you with. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the upcoming future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Hyatt on Broad St is the place to stay in Birmingham. Lovely clean hotel with a fine swimming pool. The hotel bar also does some lovely bellinis. Ideally located for the NIA and excellent nightlife/restaurants on Broad St. Ask for a high floor room if you can.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Derby

Dear Derby,

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I spent 4 nights here for a Business trip and it was a lovely hotel. The room was cosy and comfortable, had plenty of room, was spotlessly clean and I was lucky to have a great view over the German Christmas Market. the staff are friendly and helpful, and lovely to talk to. the hotel is situated in a great vibrant area, with plenty of gorgeous restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear jneiland2002,

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here for the third year running to collect our daughter from uni and to do some Christmas shopping. As usual the hotel was clean and comfortable with a great location close to the city centre. However, the breakfast in the morning was probably one of the worst we have ever eaten anywhere. Cheap sausages, overcooked bacon, rubbery eggs - yuk!!! We noticed lots of other people around us with half eaten food so it wasn't just us who found it unpleasant. Hyatt you need to seriously up your game at breakfast time - the food needs to be hot, tasty and refilled often. We would stay again but wouldn't worry about trying to get a breakfast included in the deal.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lisa4040

Dear lisa4040,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the breakfast.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Food & Beverage Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Director of Operation

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Love coming back to Hyatt fab location fab staff a special thanks to Sandra who is truly AMAZING at the regency club can't thank you enough for great service and a warm welcome thanks for making our stay very special

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria M

Dear Maria,

I am pleased to hear that the staff provided such excellent customer service. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with Sandra and the rest of the team. We have very dedicated members of staff here who will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognized.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here for a one night stay on business in Dec 2013. Room high up with great view of the city, floor to ceiling window. Breakfast fine and good selection. Only negative points were that the shower 'curtain' leaked and flooded the bathroom, and you had to pay an extra £3 for a bottle of water in your room which seemed a bit steep given the price of the room. Overall however would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear pm2006uk,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments from our guests although I am sorry to hear of your disappointment concerning the shower curtain.