“So so afternoon tea”

Ranked #7 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“So so afternoon tea”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I took my wife there for afternoon tea, as it was self proclaimed 'best afternoon tea in Birmingham' on the Hyatt website.

We paid £19 per head for normal afternoon tea - Champagne is available at extra cost, but we don't drink.

Scones were fresh and were very good, sandwich selection was decent and taste was decent, remainder was so so.

What we were served was different to what is advertised - asked the staff if the selection is different if we had Champagne tea and was told that the food is the same.

On the plus side parking is free at the Hyatt.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jarlawuk
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the afternoon tea.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide to our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

I do hope you will continue to make Hyatt your preferred choice of hotel. If there is anything further I can assist with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Director of Operation

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Very charming lady on reception when we arrived. Room on 8th floor which clearly has been recently re-furbished. Air con/heating didn't work....took 4 hours to get to 22.6 and that is where it stayed ! A man came round as soon as we called reception and fiddled with the controls and assured us that it was fixed but we had the fan heater just in case. Good thing we did because the heating never got warmer ! Toilet roll holder hanging off wall.If I had recently paid for my kitchen to be re-furbed, I would expect better than this !! I had ordered continental breakfast and had to phone to chase it up...and when it did come we received only one coffee cup. Breakfast wasn't worth £17...I have drunk better coffee in the middle of China! On the subject of coffee , I think a 4 star hotel should have a coffee machine in the room at at the very least proper coffee sachets but no! No free water in room either. Spa was booked as well !

Room Tip: Check the heating/ aircon works before you unpack!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that our team provided such excellent customer service. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with the team. We have very dedicated members of staff here who will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognised.

Please rest assure that we take your comment in regards to the heating, fittings and coffee seriously and we will make the necessary repairs and review our offers.

Cardiff
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I tried to book an Executive Room at this hotel for my disabled grandmother. I explained to Reservations that my grandmother was disabled and used a wheelchair but wanted an Executive Room so that she would have access to the Executive Lounge. I was told that this was not a problem. When I was browsing through the Tripadvisor photos of the hotel, I noticed a large staircase situated in the Executive Lounge. I telephoned Reservations again to confirm that there was disabled access to the Lounge and was told that there wasn't and access was via the staircase shown in the photo! I am very disappointed that even though I explained our circumstances, I was clearly misled and had I not noticed the photograph my Grandmother would have paid for an Executive Room and not been able to use the facilities that she had paid extra for!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the executive lounge information.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Reservations Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience. I can confirm that our lounge is allocated over two floors, either floor can be accessed via wheelchair.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Very nice hotel with a friendly and willing to help staff. This hotel is very quiet and within walking distance of just about everything. The rooms are very clean and the amenities are all there. The windows are very large and and they offer a nice view of the city as well as the canal areas. The hotel does offer a nice breakfast for a fair price and once again, the area is very clean and it has a nice seating area.

The beds are comfortable. I also have to add that this is one of the first hotels that I have visited in a while that has a working and immediate response air conditioning system. The only thing issues that I had with the room was the shower drainage. The housekeeping staff needs to be cognizant of this when they are cleaning the showers and pass it along to maintenance before the guests arrive. It is pretty obvious. Otherwise, this is an outstanding hotel!

Room Tip: Be sure to specify what kind of view you want. They all offer a nice but different views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Duck1963
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 10 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that the staff provided such excellent customer service. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with the team. We have very dedicated members of staff here who will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognised.

Please rest assure that we take your comment in regards to the shower drainage seriously and our housekeeping manager will retrain his team on the relevant task.

Staffordshire
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice and comfortable hotel, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean. We dined in on one evening and the food was very nice and well presented, breakfast was very nice and there was a great deal of choice. All the staff that we came across were friendly and helpful and nothing seemed a bother for them. The lounge on the 22nd floor was very nice and was convenient enough to our room not always use the tea and coffee making facilities. There is a a taxi rank outside the hotel and we had a great trip to New Street Station, the driver was a hoot. The concierge was helpful and accurate with directions. We will use this hotel again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the regency hyatt for two nights as we were in Birmingham to see a show.The hotel was excellent, staff were all very friendly, hotel was spotlessly clean and food and service was brilliant. Two nights was not enough it was the first time we had visited but it won't be the last,

Room Tip: We stayed on floor twenty two, it had excellent views over Birmingham and we also had access to the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Market Drayton
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Good Hotel in good location and on a weekend deal - good value. But - in my opinion not a 5 star hotel! The room was good and bed very comfortable but we had to be moved at midnight to a High floor ( we were already on tenth) as noise from clubs below unbearable! Breakfast was ok but again not what you spect in a 5 star - making own toast in a toaster - really?

Room Tip: High floor esp if weekend as noise from clubs below, even on tenth floor, unbearable!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the outside noise and the breakfast buffet.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your breakfast comments with the Head Chef and F&B Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. Secondly, we will share your comment at the broad street community meeting to look into the issue of the noise.