“Very comfortable”

Ranked #7 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed 3 October 2008

I enjoyed my stay here. I had the week before stayed in the Hilton in Manchester and I found the Hyatt a more enjoyable experience. The room was plusher and the bed felt more comfortable - slippers and bathrobes as standard. I suppose it is the little things that make all the difference with a top ranking hotel: one night I came back to find that there was no room service breakfast form you put out before retiring. I called down to reception to ask for a form and within 5 minutes one was slipped under my door. Bearing in mind this was 2am, I was extremely impressed. Even more so, when a call came shortly after to make sure that I had received the form OK.

The hotel is situated near the ICC conference centre - indeed there is an undercover bridge to it. It's also near to the canal which has clearly been refurbished recently with a nice shopping / restaurant arcade. It's only 5 mins away from Birmingham New St station.

So, all in all, if I was to come to Birmingham, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Zippitydoodah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2008

My partner and I stayed here last weekend to celebrate my 30th birthday. The hotel building is very impressive, the last time we came to Birmingham we decided we would like to stay here if we ever came back.
The lobby was very smart , although we were kept waiting for a time to check in, the staff were very friendly .
We were very impressed by the size of the room, and the wonderful views of the city from the floor to ceiling window. The decor was very neutral which we liked. I especiallly enjoyed sitting in the armchair overlooking the city.The bathroom was also of good size and well equipped, with batrhroom scales ,much to my dismay !!!
Breakfast was of a good standard , i was delighted to find smoked salmon on offer and my partner was equally impressed by the standard of the cooked breakfast ( locally sourced sausages v good).
The hotel bar was very modern and although a little pricey, well worth it for the reaxing ambience . We were glad to escape Broad St for a time on Sat night, and the hotel was well located in order to do this and still be able to venture back out again later!
We were also impressed by the pool/spa/gym facilities. Had a lovely swim and relax on sunlounger followed by jacuzzi.Very pleasant . The gym looked to be of a good standard. Rainshowers in the changing rooms a definate plus.
If we returned to Birmingham we would definately book the Hyatt again. We had a lovely stay !

• Liked — amazing views from floor to ceiling windows
  • Disliked — left waiting for a while to check in
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dancingisfun
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2008

The reception area is pretty opulent when you walk in as is a lovely open space. The corridor to our room looked a little dated and in need of a refurb however the room was lovely and large with a massive bed. Bathroom was nice too but the best thing was the view - floor to ceiling windows across the length of the room and we were really high up too. Just a lovely treat.

• Liked — View/immense bed & size of room
  • Disliked — Not getting breakfast included in the room only rate
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
port talbot
Reviewed 17 August 2008

I pulled up in my car outside the main door to be met my a friendly bellboy, he helped me with my case and bags, i asked where i could park the car and he pointed in the direction of a multi story car park, he said he would look after my children and luggage, i asked if i could park on the hotel grounds and folded a £10 note into his hand, 30 seconds later he was parking my car in front of the hotel, a lot cheaper and safer than a car park.

I was a little earlier than the advertised check-in time but was told the room was ready, check-in was swift and our room was on the 21st floor, which is the gold memebers floor, no idea what a gold member is.

room was fantastic, they had put a rollaway bed in there as requested when i booked online, very quiet room with excellent views over the city and canals, very comfy king bed, very clean bathroom, after swimming we all had a shower then went for a walk, when we returned a maid had been into the room to replace the towels and shower gels, she even tidied the shoes and clothes left laying around, puffed up our pillows and drawn the curtains for the night, a nice touch, perhaps it`s the gold member thing.

the pool is 5`6" deep all round, therefore not suitable for all children, sauna, steam room and jacuuzi superb, there was a tv in the sauna showing the olympics, towels and a locker key handed to you as you enter the pool area.

we did not eat in the hotel as after reading reviews advising not to.

in the evening i had a pint of lager in the bar and was charged £3.80, that was the only drink i bought there and is my only complaint !

bellboys very happy with local directions and advice on where to eat.

taxi from hotel to the bullring £4.40 each way.

central location and about 6 miles from the m5, i would recommend the hotel and i would stay there again.

• Liked — location, cleanliness, view, quiteness, posher than a travelodge
  • Disliked — bar prices were way too expensive.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank jack2022
ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2008

Had a lovely time at the Hyatt. The check-in staff could have been friendlier but they were not rude... The hotel was an easy enough 15 minute walk from New Street Station as long as you come out the right exit onto New Street. Then it's pretty much a straight walk.

The rooms were really nice- clean and spacious. We were on the 21st floor and had a good view of the city, especially lovely at night.

The pool was a little cold and I didn't like that I couldn't touch the bottom of it. I'm only 5 ft 2 and the pool is 5 ft 6 all the way across. However, the very warm jacuzzi and the tv in the sauna made up for it!

All in all a lovely hotel in a really vibrant, often over-looked city.

• Liked — the room, location and the jacuzzi
  • Disliked — the deep pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Chester
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We arrived at the hotels revolving doors, my arm almost severed with the sheer weight of my overnight bag. The bellboy slouched over the outside front desk “… Just go through to reception…”.

Wow what a breathtaking lobby. Marble floors, dark wood and beautifully elegant furnishings, all illuminated with natural light projected in from the glass roof in the centre of the room.

The receptionist “…Welcome to Hyatt Regency Birmingham…” my arm had suddenly stopped aching; I have stopped wining and am now totally engulfed by the whole luxurious atmosphere and surroundings. The receptionist, probably not the happiest person I have ever met but nevertheless pleasant and smiling requested me to pay a deposit of £300 on top of the already settled balance of £300 for the two nights stay. Although I don’t have an immediate issue with this temporary payment I was nevertheless annoyed at the prospect of being £300 less wealthy on my up and coming shopping spree, if I owned and used plastic cash in the form of credit cards I wouldn’t have been so bothered, only I spend what I own.

Floor 21, Room 2110, the Gold customer’s floor. The door opens and I am blinded by the light projected in from the 20ft wide floor to ceiling window. Voiles and thick gold and cream curtains framed the window like a pained canvas of Birmingham city. The view was phenomenal and somewhat breathtaking to say the least, the view alone was worth the £300 I paid five minutes ago. In need of “…five minutes sit down…” I turn to the armchair and foot stool which appears invitingly comfortable after my long journey but the king size bed with its fresh white linen and huge fluffy pillows was much more tempting. As I have my ‘five minutes’ my partner investigates the rooms boasted gadgets, a fridge full of goodies, a tray of ‘fine bone china’ and an array of tea from around the world and a wardrobe complete with safe, dressing gowns, slippers and enough room for even my clothes.

The bathroom, well I started a new paragraph for this room. The bathroom was divine, sheer 5* luxury. More granite and marble, enough power shower to blow you into the next room, Fresh thick towels, a huge mirror with baby cosmetic magnifying mirror and even weighing scales to count how many pounds you’re going to gain from the indulgence food on offer. The toilet, well what can you say about that apart from it being squeaky clean. I have to admit I am a bit of a bathroom junkie and it does take a lot to please me but this room was by far one of the nicest I have used and what’s more one of the cleanest. Well done to Hyatt and to their janitors!

Back to the lounge come bedroom. The plasma style TV with over 40 films to watch (£8.95, per film) and an abundance of ‘normal’ television channels including sky news and sport channels made evenings, just before bed time entertaining. What’s more with such a selection of lighting including reading lights, wall lights, ceiling lights and bed side lamps you can tailor the environment to suit your mood. Just before bed I would ‘hang out’ my room card stating that I would like complementary coffee with cream in the morning around 9am with a copy of the times newspaper, and 9.03 saw a knock at the door.

To finish off I was In need of some TLC on the second day of my stay and booked some massage treatments in the hotels health spa. The staff were very helpful and I really was treated with care. The pool, Jacuzzi, cold water plunge pool, and steam room were very clean and you are encouraged to simply relax in bathrobes provided. The showering facilities within the spa complex were beautiful, again a power shower that could blow you into next week or alternatively a gentle showering option that was a lot less vigorous.

There were much more positive aspects to my stay than expected what with reading some other relatively negative reviews posted and I would be delighted to stay at the Hyatt Birmingham Regency again. I do like to experience luxury but I’m also happy to make my own luxury, expecting people to curtsy when you arrive or to express sickly un-human smiles that make you discuss it’s plausibility in the lift on the way up to your room is not my explicit requirement. I have stayed in many hotels over the years, Hyatt, Mc Donald’s, Hilton to name a few and although I enjoy being spoilt it doesn’t mean to say that if the bellboy doesn’t offer to take my case or the receptionist doesn’t have a beaming smile my holiday becomes a disaster.

The only ‘real’ negative thing I have to communicate is that two nights is quite simply not enough…

Stayed August 2008
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2008

I have stayed in several Hyatt hotels. Birmingham may not compare with Singapore or Bali (not the city's fault!) but the hotel is typically Hyatt good value for money.

As a non driver it is a bit of a haul to get to the hotel from any of the three main stations. The best route is through the inappropriately named "Paradise Forum". But it is within easy walking distance, though you do need to negotiate from Moor Street and New Street up several slopes. Snow Hill may not be as cute as Moor Street but it is easier to get to and from.

The room is as you would expect for this brand of hotel, large and comfortable. I can't blame the hotel for the 2 wedding parties (I presume) when I was there. I hate contemporary party dance music at the best of times and the sound travels. It was more designed for conferencing than partying.

My real moan is breakfast. The scrambled eggs were grey in colour. I had one mouthful and that was enough. It must have been made from dried eggs. There was no texture to it. Revolting.

A dinner I had was London chic about 10 years ago, but none the worse for that.

The gym is compact but usable. The pool was slightly chilly (nearly all pools seem to be like that!).

Wifi can be bought for 24 hours for £15.00. The time you are charged for is for total usage unlike others where 24 hours means like from noon to noon.

One bad aspect is Gas Street. Good for eating (Pizza Express, Café Rouge) but Friday and Saturday it is ghastly, plenty of bars. The area crawls with young people out for "a good time". It is close to the new hall (a bridge connection avoids the street) and the Rep, probably Birmingham's main artistic venues.

Stayed August 2008