“Amazing”

Ranked #7 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham
“Amazing”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted by lovely staff who were willing to take our bags inside for us whilst we parked, as we got into the hotel we were amazed.. we checked in which was very quick and easy, we had a choice of room high/low city view/canal view... I chose high and city, we got to our room and it was beautiful, so clean, and our view was amazing! Loved our stay there

• Stayed June 2014
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for your compliments. I am please to hear our members of staff assisted you well, helping you enjoy your stay with us. Rest assured i will be passing this on to them.

Again, thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to your next stay with us.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wales, UK
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Just back from three days (two nights) at the Hyatt Regency in Birmingham. Overall I was pleased with the day but a few grumbles really took the shine off things.

I was greeted upon arrival by a polite and cheery reception clerk who promptly checked me in and gave me a key for the free Wi-Fi. I was directed to my room, on the fifth floor (I was offered a choice of floor and said I didn’t mind) which was very nice. However, after a long journey up I hunted down the tea/coffee facilities in the room only to find two very dirty cups with spoons literally stuck to the bottom of the cup by dried sugar/tea – clearly this had been there for a while. The cups were covered in streaks where they’d obviously been drank out of and not washed! Not a great start. The rest of the room was immaculate so I put this down to a cleaner oversight (who, other than this, do a superb job I would add).
After a hard days work I decided to hit the gym. This is a decent gym with about five treadmills, a rowing machine, three bikes, two cross-trainers and a number of weights machines. Really is adequate for a hotel and it was all in good working order and kept clean. I was given a gym towel and they were even offering complementary fruit to visitors which was a lovely touch.

I also visited the spa/pool on the second day and again this is an excellent facility. I was given towels and a locker key (no pfaffing about with 20ps or £1 coins!) and went for a swim, sauna, Jacuzzi and general relax. The changing rooms were clean and in good working order and again the reception staff were lovely.
I was away on business so had some work to do and thus decided to make use of room service on the first evening. This was another let down – the food was mediocre and completely inadequate. After spending nearly £30 on a meal I was left still hungry and ended going out to the nearby Sainsbury’s for snacks! Needless to say I didn’t eat in the hotel again for evening meal.
Breakfast was a quaint affair served in the corner of the hotel lobby. A decent choice of traditional English, cold meats, pastries and cereals – service was excellent and the food very nice indeed.
Also one other niggle was the TV in the room. It was a 42” Samsung flat screen TV but was hooked up to a proprietary media box to serve PPV movies for the hotel etc as they normally are. However this one was terrible. The software was buggy, changing channel took an absolute age (literally five seconds delay on each remote button press which really starts to annoy quickly) and the TV crashed and failed to turn on properly some times, loading to a blank EPG and no TV channels!

Location wise the hotel is very good – its about a three minute walk from the Mailbox and about eight-to-ten minutes from the heart of the city center. Its on a busy-ish road with pubs, clubs and bars so there’s plenty to do around there and as the World Cup is on there was a great vibe with bands playing in the street and everyone in an upbeat mood.
All in all there were a few niggles which really hindered this hotel. While they aren’t major issues and certainly not enough to prevent me from staying there again, they are significant enough to hit the score awarded to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LeeDJones
Dear LeeDJones,

Thank you very much for such a detailed feedback. Your comments are welcome to us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the few things that has gone wrong to otherwise would have been such a good experience for you. I have passed on your concerns to our Head Chef regarding our room service menu to ensure we exceed our customers expectations.

I would also like to thank you for your compliments. It is nice to hear that our hotel staff are welcoming & assisting, and the facilities that we offer has helped you relax.

I hope you will continue choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Mirissa, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Booked the Penthouse apartment for a luxury weekend away. It was certainly luxurious and had more than we needed or could ask for.. including two bathrooms and a huge dining area! There was great views of the city through the huge windows and it was in a good location.

• Stayed July 2013
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for the great feedback! I am glad to hear you have enjoyed your stay in our very best suite. On behalf of the Hyatt Regency Birmingham team, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

7min walk from train,very central ,nothing a problem ,we arrived early and got allocated rooms , staff so friendly , rooms so fresh and clean ,food very good ,

Bar not fully stocked due to renovation.

Room Tip: Only prob, was Came back to hotel for night cap to find it was not fully stocked due to renovations...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused with the bar's closure. It is indeed under refurbishment.

I hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel so you can experience the new quality and ambiance we are aiming to provide.

england
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here on a short business trip. Had a little difficulty funding the hotel following sat nav but once there the communal areas are of a high standard, check was easy although neither of us were offered a free drink which I've had at other Hyatt properties. The room had obviously been recently fitted with new carpet, this was not finished off properly and if I had been overseeing the project I would not have accepted the standard of work. That aside, great view from the hotel room which has floor to ceiling windows and would have had a great night sleep if I hadn't had a wobbly bed, mentioned this to staff at check out and they said they would look into in immediately. Had been going to eat in the hotel but the menu was extremely expensive even by hotel standards but there are plenty of reasonably priced places just a short walk from the hotel. Overall pleasant stay and would choose this hotel again if I was staying in Birmingham again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

States for business for an event at The ICC nearby
Everything was wonderful, Kieron in Sales did everything he could to make our stay as fabulous as it could be and it was.
Used the pool which was lovely and clean.
Bedroom was a home from home and apart from some loud noise in the corridor with some noisy guests it was a treat.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Carrie,

Thank you for such a great feedback! I am glad to hear you have been looked after well. I will make sure to pass on your kind regards to all the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Glasgow
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Nice stay, rooms were comfortable and fantastic views.breakfast was very expensive, however if just cross over the road you have a variety of restaurants and bars at a quarter of the price. Staff are very friendly and the hotel is close to the bullring and ideal for shopping.

• Stayed June 2014