“Could do better”

Ranked #7 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
dorset
“Could do better”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Make no mistake this is advertised as a 5* hotel. Its location is wonderful and if you are one of the lucky ones with a high floor and a front facing room the view is wonderful.
Our room is large and the bed is huge with lovely crisp linen.
Why 3*? When we arrived we had no shampoo and only one flannel. The toiletries were pretty awful and very cheap. The shower was fixed too low for my 6 foot husband. Bar snacks were ok but expensive. Breakfast involved putting us near the kitchen doors despite the fact there were free tables elsewhere. We had to hijack a waiter for drinks while the Manager paced around looking officious and doing nothing. We would have liked the chance to have fried eggs rather than bouncy scrambled. There were no pens in the rooms. No big deal but I needed a pen and for the price of a room we could be left pens.
So, fairly jaundiced. Won't be back.

Room Tip: Higher floors have good views. We were on 19th floor. As to be near lifts to get view. (They are no...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beaminster
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for taking your time on writing feedback of your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with a number of issues you have come to face while staying at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham, please accept my sincere apologies. I have discussed your concerns with the relevant Managers to ensure we do not slip the standard of services we have promised to deliver.

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency as your preferred hotel to stay in Birmingham. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great hotel, great staff, elegant feel. Right near everything. Steps away from downtown and a oasis of shops & restaurants & bars & shopping. the Bullring mall is an incredible structure & probably the largest mall I've seen anywhere in the UK or Europe. Check it out. Directly across the street from the fascinating Birmingham Library. About a 10 to 15 minute walk to the Village & gay scene, which is lively & happening.

The Hyatt rooms are elegant & comfortable the beds are heaven. Didn't eat here so not sure about the quality & service but did naked a special request which was delivered promptly & professionally. This is not my first time here so I can confidently say the professionalism & friendliness of the staff is consistent.

Will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your very kind feedback. It is a pleasure to hear you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel, from the convenience of our location to the service provided by our dedicated members of staff.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Birmingham as your preffered Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The gorgeous king size beds are the most comfortable beds I have had in any hotel yet!
I loved the turn-down service that I got (not sure if that's as Hyatt gold member).
Food leaves a bit to be desired, e.g. no 0% fat natural yoghurt or grapefruit for breakfast (although they did manage to find me a small bit of grapefruit on request).
Air con appears to be on very cold or off.
I don't know about value as I wasn't paying!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Maryanne,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit at Hyatt Regency Birmingham. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the breakfast. I have shared your comments with the Food and Beverage Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I am however pleased to hear your kind words about the service and the facilities. It will be my pleasure to pass them on to the team.

Thank you again for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We attended a function and stayed at this establishment. At the booking in we were offered a upgrade to club we we took up (we paid extra). The room was fine, although a faint smelt of paint; we assumed from being recently decorated. The follow morning we went to the dining area for the buffet breakfast.
We collected our breakfast and sat down at the allocated table. We started to eat the breakfast and
to our dismay found that the sausages were raw (yes raw!!!). We attracted the head waiter and advised him of the situation. We we greeted with "ho dear" followed by " can I get get you some well done sausages" We declined his offer. He returned a short while later and offered us a refund on the breakfast. We returned to our rooms, and checked out a little later.
At the check out we advised that the head waiter advised the refund; however it appears he failed to Inform reception! After some discussion we were offered a reduced refund (because we upgraded, we were informed). We were given a VAT receipt showing the deduction of the breakfast due to the raw sausage.
On Monday we checked the bank statement, and to our dismay discovered that the deduction for the raw sausage had been taken out of our bank account.
I phoned to complain and left several messages, and sent several emails. It appeared no one wanted to sort out complaints!
Eventually (several hour) we had a call back from one of the assistant managers. We were now given a full refund for the breakfast, and advised later that they had changed their sausage supplier; however it would have been better if they were checked or cooked correctly! It was also very disappointing the way the hotel conducted it financial dealings.
A very big could do better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our Hotel. I am sorry to hear of your dissapointment regarding your stay.

I have passed on your comments to the relevant Managers to look into the issues you have mentioned and ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred hotel to stay in Birmingham. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here sat 26th for a night as a surprise off my boyfriend.
On arrival we was greeted by a nice doorman then reception, took 10mins to check in as the man didnt really know if the romance package details were correct and had to ask which the head recption man I think it was didnt get a name sorry he was a lovely man always greeted us when we saw him... well he agreed and we were given 1802. Romance package is free chocolates amd champagne in the room.... 5pm check out and rooms with a view also breakfast is included.. I think it is totally worth the amount of money. The hotel is just pure luxury.. every littlw thing is thought of toiletries... bath robes... lovepy air conditioned rooms very big and the sofa chair was so comfy with the foot stool. The bed oh my the pillows were the best I have ever used I slept so well! The bed is huge and so comfy. We loved the mini bar aswell never had one in a room before and it was reasonably priced aswell.
We had couple of drinks in the newly refurbished bar and I had my first disaronno sour which was presented wonderfully... on later asking for another the gentleman said if its not on the menu they dont do it so we said we had it before and he said they will have to make it then but they ran out of disaronno.. the lady said a new brand of one was coming into stock so they didnt have any... no problem plenty other drinks to have.
Breakfast was nice ... lots of choice of drinks.. hot food and pasteries cakes and continental side.
I absolutely loved my stay here as ive wanted to stay here for over 2 years as looks so luxurious and it didnt dissapoint. Reception staff door men everyone said hello or smiled was such a friendly hotel and the rooms are fabulous. I would definitely recommend anyone a stay here. Great location. Also cant understand the bad reviews I think some people just like to complain about the most littlest things.
Thankyou to all staff at Hyatt Regency Birmingham.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for your very kind feedback. It is a pleasure to hear you have had such a wonderful stay at Hyatt Regency Birmingham and you were well taken care of. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with the team.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham.I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

cannock
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Extremely impressed from the minute we walked through the front door. Every member of staff we came into contact could not have been any more courteous or helpful. Mohammed on the reception desk was most welcoming and gave us a choice on rooms, city or canal view.
The room was immaculate with a great view and the beds were extremely comfortable.
The whole experience was wonderful from start to finish.
I will not stay anywhere else in Birmingham in future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham.

I am happy to hear that you had a wonderfull stay at the Hotel and you were well taken care of by our dedicated members of staff. I will pass on your best regards to our team who will be delighted to hear their efforts have been recognized.

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency as your preffered Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Bucks
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We paid extra for club and were on the 23rd floor. We picked the canal view which was lovely.

The swimming pool was probably wonderful 20 years ago but now moulded sides, very wet floors and tired. We couldn't find any towels and had to go back into reception whilst wet to ask for them.

Due to restoration (we were told) the free courtesy drinks and canapés were located in a different room than usual. The waitress was top class and made sure our glasses were full at all times. The canapés were nice (shame about flies).

We realise whilst in the symphony hall that there is a walk way joins the two together. Within seconds we were back to the hotel which was a massive bonus.

Breakfast was average, fully English cooked and normal pastries and gorgeous donuts with fillings.

First time to Birmingham and will defo go back here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Birmingham.

I am sorry to hear of your dissapointment with a number of issues you experienced during your stay.I have informed the relevant Managers to look into the matters you have mentioned and to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide out guests.
Regarding the restoration, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment project which will be finished before the end of this year.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel.