“Ignored!”

Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Ware, United Kingdom
“Ignored!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed here due to its close proximity to the Symphony Hall - an excellent location and also handy for the bars and restaurants in the nearby canal area. The car park is not at all convenient for the hotel and the receptionist seemed a little vague and the geography of the local area. We were asked if we would like a city view room or a canal view room. We chose a canal view - having paid extra for a a high room with a view. We were also asked what paper we would like in the morning - we chose the Daily Mail.
We arrived in our room to find it had a city view; phoned straight down to reception and a surly receptionist phoned back and said she had 'managed to find us a canal view room' but it was on a lower floor. Within seconds a maid had arrived to make sure we had not taken anything from the mini bar - we had only been there 30 seconds! 2 points here - firstly the receptionist did not listen to our answer and secondly why not put the choice of view as a selection on the online booking form - that way there can be no chance of a request being ignored.
We went out for the evening and came back to a written note, and a message on the TV, asking us to confirm our choice of morning paper - our receptionist had clearly ignored everything we said at check-in.
At breakfast the next morning we were shown to a table but not offered and tea or coffee. When I was eventually able to attract a waitresses attention I was asked if I wanted more coffee despite not having had any! Every other guest who was shown to a table was offered a choice of tea or coffee as they sat down. That makes three times we were ignored and we only stayed for one night! The breakfast was excellent and I do like to see Smoked Salmon available - however as I get older I find good service increasingly important in my list of priorities and increasingly difficult to find! Why am I always ignored - do I have to make a big fuss and shout loudly to get good service?! One final point - the canal view is delightful, however the noise from the bars below went on until quite late and reached our room even though we were high up and the windows were double glazed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear user,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the customer service you have experienced during your stay.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Food and Beverage Manager and the Front Office Manager to investigate the issues you have mentioned and ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I sincerely apologise for making you feel disregarded. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Booked in for one night after being somewhat drowned whilst motorbiking round Scotland. Staff were incredible and upgraded us at a discounted price. We were that impressed we ended up staying two nights.....we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Get high up the view is fantastic!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear User,

Thank you for your great feedback! It is a pleasure to hear you had a brilliant stay and you were well taken care of by our dedicated members of staff. We do our best to ensure we exceed our guest expectations, making your experience worth remembering.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Arrived early, and was happy to find that we could check in early. Room was ready and I had requested high floor and a quiet room. The staff made sure this is what we had. Room was very clean and comfortable with incredible views across the city. Staff were very helpful. Only part that was a bit disappointing was the bar. We sat for over 20 minutes and was not served so we walked out! And the bar was no busy at this time, but this would not put me off staying in this hotel again, it's got a great location.

Room Tip: High floor room away from lifts.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay to our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the bar service.
This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Food and Beverage Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. It is a pleasure however to hear you had a comfortable stay and you enjoyed the facilities our hotel has to offer.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Alhaurin de la Torre, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Hotel with a great location for the Rep., Symphony Hall and the new library building. We had a high floor with great views. We were asked whether we preferred city or canal view and we chose the canal view. Room excellent just what you would expect with complimentary robe and slippers.

Swimming pool great for a good swim and spa facilities good.

The only drawback was the parking. Had I been on my own this would potentially have been a problem for me as I am disabled and the parking is quite a way from the hotel and on a hill. If you can find a parking meter then there is no charge with a disabled badge but it was weekend and there was a large wedding taking place so nothing was available.

Otherwise excellent. Room service was efficient and the food tasty.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have the better views and are, I believe, larger.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear Susan,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Hyatt Regency Birmingham. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, from the convenience of our location to the facilities the hotel has to offer.
Regarding the parking lot, i am sorry to hear of your disappointment. The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service to the Arena Central car park on Holliday Street from 7:00am to 11:00pm, on request.To request the shuttle from the car park to the hotel, please first drive to the hotel and contact the concierge, who will ask a driver to collect you from the Arena Central car park on Holliday Street.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the upcoming future.

Hereford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at this hotel I was pleasantly surprise to find we could check into our rooms before the official check in time. We were only wanting to drop our bags to grab something for lunch. However I really struggled to open the room door initially but when I did, and it wasn't already occupied as I was fearing, I realised it was just a tricky latch.

The hotel is in a good location and has air con. It also has a spa but the lack of loungers (only 4) didn't really make for a relaxing afternoon as only one lounger and one chair were vacant for us to use. They provided towels which was great but the used towel bins were in the pool area and the spa reception area, not in the changing area?

The room was fine and the bed was big but the pillows were flat as a pancake! The toilet flush had obviously been repaired at some point as it had not been finished properly, and you had to lift the handle for it to work.

Having paid twice the price for one night as we would normally and with no breakfast included I wouldn't say that we would choose this hotel again, because of the lack of attention to the little details.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenna H
Dear Jenna,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Birmingham.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the relevant Managers to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Great location, Great pool and spa area, Great rooms. Just wish breakfast was included. There is a weatherspoons just round the corner though! Will definatel stay again, best hotel in the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for canal view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Becky,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Hyatt Regency Birmingham. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the breakfast. It is however a pleasure to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us, from our location to the facilities the hotel has to offer.

kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed here for one night on business trip. Room very basic, shower and basin were blocked and not working when we arrived and nothing was done about it. Checked out the following morning but then discovered the hotel had charged my card twice for the stay. Unhelpful and surly staff at reception and bar. Not at all the standard I would expect from Hyatt group.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nandi64
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to write on your feedback of your visit to Hyatt Regency Birmingham. I am sorry to hear of your dissapointment with your stay.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Front Desk Manager and the Engineering Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. Regarding the rooms, they have been included in a refurbishment project due to finish before the end of this year.
I hope the misunderstanding with the payment has been resolved, if not, please contact the Front Desk Manager in hopes of resolving the issue.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as you preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel.