“Good location, poor communication”

Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Bergen
“Good location, poor communication”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt for 2nights, friday-sunday. I first had booked a club room from Saturday-Sunday. But found out that I could arrive on Friday instead so wanted to book an extra night. I sent 2-3mails to the hotel and asked if I could get an extra night so I could stay from Friday-Sunday. I didn`t get any response from the hotel. My first booking had a price of 179pounds for the on night. But because I didn`t get any response from the hotel when I wanted an extra night I cancelled my first booking so I could take a new booking from Friday-Sunday. I then ended up with a price of 299pounds per night. All because I didn`t get an reply on my mails. We had a Club room and the rooms was very good. The breakfast was very good and the location of the hotel was superb. Before arriving we did know that the Lounge . where we could sit down in the evening and have some drinks and light food, was moved to another floor because of work being done to the normal lounge. The new "lounge" was a bit disappointing. The room was a small area and all tables, was not many of them, was taken. We where taken to the room next door. A very boring room with a few tables and almost now light... We found it better to go to an next-door bar to sit there and enjoy something to drink. So it was a bit disappointing to pay extra and end up with something that was far from the normal lounge experience.

But as said the thing that was most disappointing was that our stay ended up costing a lot more because of no reply. And that what we paid for didn`t give us all we thought we would get.

But a nice hotel, good location.... But hopefully the bad response on mail was something that doesn't happened often. I would come back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dominik S, Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Hyatt Regency Birmingham. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the communication and the temporary Regency Club Lounge.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Front Office Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look froward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
sandy, utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Lovely hotel with a neat pool. The beds are comfy (although the sheets rustle stiffly), and my only complaint is that the showers need a cleaning for mold. Fun photos on walls of local canal boats. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wellsfam
Dear User,

Thank you for your kind words. It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the showers and the sheets. I have shared your comments with the Housekeeping Manager to investigate the issues you have mentioned and ensure we evaluate the service we provide our guests.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Birmingham as your prefered Hotel to stay in. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

West Midlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over the bank holiday weekend for two nights, we have stayed here twice before, booked it again as it's close by and we have a relaxing time whenever we come so knew it was a good choice!

We parked in the arena central car park, normally we would walk to the hotel as it's not far but it was raining heavily on arrival so we called the hotel and the hotel shuttle came and picked us up. Don't know if people are aware of this facility, but it's handy if the weather is rubbish and also if people have difficulty with their mobility.

Check in was great, we met a lovely man named Christos who was really friendly and his customer service skills were really excellent, we were really pleasantly surprised as it is not often anymore that you come across people who know what they are doing/efficient! We had booked into an excellent club room as we had stayed in that category the previous two times also, and I requested a city view room, Christos very kindly put us on the top floor. We were informed that there were refurbishments going on to the excellence club on the 22nd floor, this wasn't a big deal as they had made other arrangements in another area of the hotel, did miss looking out on the canal side from the 22nd floor (usual club location) but it will be good to see what they have done with the club once the refurbishments have been done.

Our room turned out to be next to the room we stayed in during our first visit to the hotel. It was clean as always, lovely view of the city.
Comfy bed, robes, slippers etc. we have previously gotten room service which was good, and staff have previously bought us up ice bucket and champagne flutes with no problem.

Think it is definitely worth upgrading to the excellence club...the unlimited alcoholic drinks in the evening with canapés is definitely worth it! I remember they had hot canapés the first time we stayed but not seen those again on the second time or during this visit, it was probably not possible for this time as it was not in the usual club location, but when the club is back on the 22nd floor, would be nice to have some of the hot canapés back if possible. Staff in the excellence club were really lovely on both days, always helpful and asking if you wanted another drink.

Used the spa facilities for the first time here as had spa credit in the package we booked. My massage was really good, felt very relaxed afterwards. My partner however said the massage wasn't great and I think it was a combination of him not being asked what kind of pressure he wanted at the start (I was asked by my spa person) and him not saying anything during the massage.

On checkout we were met again by Christos who was again very friendly. Overall another excellent stay and looking forward to seeing what the refurbishments will be in our next stay hopefully!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TANRAV2014
Dear User,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments from our guests.

I am pleased to hear that the staff provided such excellent customer service and you had such a wonderful experience. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with Christos and the Front Office Manager, as well as the Regency Club team and the Housekeeping Manager. We have very dedicated members of staff here who will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognised.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

FERRARI221106
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Good service, room is very comfortable, breakfast is buffet style and good, however on checking in the bath had hairs left in from the previous which was very dissapointing, apology accepted but really expect hyatt to not have to apologise especially when they have your reservation as a rewards member. The changing rooms also needed to be cleaned as the locker area was wet for changing. these cleaning details count!!!! Im not OCD but enjoy cleanliness. On the whole a comfortable stay and will be good once the refurb is completed. I will give Hyatt another chance... lets see....

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our Hotel. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the cleanliness of your room and the spa.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Housekeeping Manager to ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed a weekend, very comfy rooms, nice bathroom, quiet but in the middle of birmingham.
On the doorstep to clubs and restaurants on broad street.
Nice spa and pool
Above average breakfast.
Average afternoon tea.
Parking tip- the hotel suggest a barrier controlled car park about 100m away which costs £12/24 hr. There is a open pay and display carpark on bridge street adjacent to the hotel for £6/24hr.
We paid £20 extra for a room with a view on the 21st floor...WELL WORTH IT.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank DAG1AG1
Dear User,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We do our utmost to ensure we exceed our guest expectations, making your experience with us worth remembering.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred hotel to stay in Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Ware, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed here due to its close proximity to the Symphony Hall - an excellent location and also handy for the bars and restaurants in the nearby canal area. The car park is not at all convenient for the hotel and the receptionist seemed a little vague and the geography of the local area. We were asked if we would like a city view room or a canal view room. We chose a canal view - having paid extra for a a high room with a view. We were also asked what paper we would like in the morning - we chose the Daily Mail.
We arrived in our room to find it had a city view; phoned straight down to reception and a surly receptionist phoned back and said she had 'managed to find us a canal view room' but it was on a lower floor. Within seconds a maid had arrived to make sure we had not taken anything from the mini bar - we had only been there 30 seconds! 2 points here - firstly the receptionist did not listen to our answer and secondly why not put the choice of view as a selection on the online booking form - that way there can be no chance of a request being ignored.
We went out for the evening and came back to a written note, and a message on the TV, asking us to confirm our choice of morning paper - our receptionist had clearly ignored everything we said at check-in.
At breakfast the next morning we were shown to a table but not offered and tea or coffee. When I was eventually able to attract a waitresses attention I was asked if I wanted more coffee despite not having had any! Every other guest who was shown to a table was offered a choice of tea or coffee as they sat down. That makes three times we were ignored and we only stayed for one night! The breakfast was excellent and I do like to see Smoked Salmon available - however as I get older I find good service increasingly important in my list of priorities and increasingly difficult to find! Why am I always ignored - do I have to make a big fuss and shout loudly to get good service?! One final point - the canal view is delightful, however the noise from the bars below went on until quite late and reached our room even though we were high up and the windows were double glazed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear user,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the customer service you have experienced during your stay.

This is certainly not what our guests have come to expect from Hyatt. I have shared your comments with the Food and Beverage Manager and the Front Office Manager to investigate the issues you have mentioned and ensure we continually evaluate and improve the service we provide our guests. I sincerely apologise for making you feel disregarded. I hope you will consider this as an isolated experience.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency as your preferred Hotel to stay in Birmingham. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Booked in for one night after being somewhat drowned whilst motorbiking round Scotland. Staff were incredible and upgraded us at a discounted price. We were that impressed we ended up staying two nights.....we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Get high up the view is fantastic!!