“comfortable hotel, perfect location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #97 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
bucks,
“comfortable hotel, perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I have just returned from a midweek break staying at the Copthorne Hotel with my girlfriend. We arrived into Birmingham by train and the hotel is a short walk from both main train stations in Birmingham. The hotel itself was very clean and welcoming and the staff throughout were amazing. Check-in and out was smooth, efficient and friendly (with no queues), The breakfast buffet was extensive with very attentive and friendly service and the bar service was very prompt . The location of the hotel was also perfect for our needs - it is less than a 5 minute walk to the main shopping area and there is a nice canal side area opposite with bars, pubs and restaurants (which I imagine would be amazing in the summer). I would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Birmingham both on leisure or business.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear jamie321,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham so much. It was particularly pleasing to read that the service went above and beyond your expectations.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel whenever you are in Birmingham next.

Mat Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Stayed one night at this hotel and found it to be very comfortable with excellent bedrooms. The staff were friendly and efficient and the central position added to the enjoyment of staying there. The breakfast was also excellent with plenty of variety of food.Payment for car parking required.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Dear chjendo,

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

The hotel benefits from a central location. I arrived by train and the hotel is a short 5 minute walk away. If you're driving it seems it could be complicated to get to the hotel, due to the one-way streets , and the parking seems expensive at £12 per day.
The check-in desk was very busy when I arrived , due to a large party having arrived , however there were 4 receptionists working so I couldn't complain about the wait , as they were as efficient as could be expected. As a woman on my own I asked to be moved from the allocated ground floor bedroom to a higher floor , as I often sleep with windows open, the receptionist seemed surprised and questioned why - however she did move me without further questions and reassured me there was 24hr security.
The room layout was thoughtfully planned ; the bed-head was not against an adjoining room's wall , as is the norm. The room was very warm, and the quilt very thick; which is perfect if you're travelling from a warmer climate and not used to cold british weather; however it was too hot for me and I had to sleep with the windows open all night, which resulted in heavy traffic noise. If you like to be warm and don't need to open the windows though the sound proofing was sufficient. My room was very dated (circa 1980's?) and a little tatty around the edges; however it was clean . I noticed other rooms on the same floor had been refurbished, and these seemed very nice. I would not put this hotel in the same class however as other four star hotels - although completely adequate, little things were missing like tissues and ear buds; and at £75 per night I expected better attention to detail.
The breakfast service was very good - the girls on duty were very pleasant and helpful. The fresh fruit options were very good ; the hot food options were not as varied as other similar standard chain hotels , but was adequate.
My stay was really only marred by the thoughtlessness of other guests , they allowed doors to slam at night, waking me, and smoked cigarettes at 07.20am and then again at 08.30am. The hotel has a strict no-smoking policy which was clearly displayed in a number of places - so I can only hope that the offender was charged the £250 fine that the hotel say they will impose.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Dear Woody67Watford,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us at the hotel. We value all forms of feedback so that we can continually strive for improvements in all facets of the hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay on the whole and in particular our location, service and room cleanliness.
In terms of your comments on other guests smoking - we do indeed enforce the fine for any guest caught smoking in their rooms and I am sure the offenders during your stay were made aware of this.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

Booked at last minute by phone and found them to be very ridgid in there aproach. £98 for a double without breakfast , add £12 for parking and for a friday night with lots of rooms available and non negociable rates i found it bad value. The room on the 1st floor was tired and a little shabby, the lighting in the bathroom was inadaquite and the traffic noise from the road outside was unacceptable.

Room Tip: Look for a deal, full price is not value.. Also look for a room without street view
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear dandare1911,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay.
We do offer some discounted rates via our website if booked in advance. It is certainly advisable to have a look on there for any future visits that you may have planned.
I do hope that you give us another try and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Mat Williams

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

stamford uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

If you are looking for a hotel that is close enough to walk to the Symphony Hall without ever leaving a pavement,good room/breakfast deals(if you look) and a cheap early evening three course dinner(pre show) you can"t go far wrong here. As my wife has a disability exemption badge for parking we were able to use one of the bays outside the hotel for the duration of our stay,the hotel was bright cheeful and the room large enough..in fact this was the only hotel we"ve been to where the bed was directly facing towards the window and not fixed to the wall for the next door room...ok,the tv was an older style possibly 21/23 inch model ,the picture was fine but it was so far away..it must be at least twelve feet from the bed...nobody would want to indulge in the hotel movie options unless you were given binoculars!..we ate at Bugis street brasserie in hotel..soup/oriental main dish and huge ice cream dessert..only 8.99 before 6.30pm..and the breakfast was huge too. Best treat ever though was coming back after the concert and having a massive fish finger sandwich and chips from the bar menu...what a memory blaster! Only downside for me was the usual "firm" bed...I like a bed to give me a bit of a cuddle when I get in ,not give me a hard unresistive embrace.I know the hotels want to get their use from the mattress but,surely, not at the expense of my spinal column! Joining the hotel mailing list/loyalty programme also gave a further 20% of the food and beverage bill on checkout ..so overall this was a winning stay........now if only they could move it off that dratted island on the road.......would I stay again...absolutely if I can get the same rate.

Dear chetz,

I am glad to read that enjoyed your recent stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham and took full advantage of our proximity to the Symphony Hall.
I was also very pleased to read that you made use of all of our different dining options and enjoyed them all.
I hope that you will use us again when you next visit Birmingham and I will get the fish fingers at the ready!

Mat WIlliams
west coast, scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

needs an upgrade everything worn carpets , furniture etc , no air con . £12 to park car bit too expensive as its £9 round coner and more secure and tidy . breakfast was good , bar was ok

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Dear alecstarlite,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.
I will certainly investigate your comments regarding the hotel and rectify as many as possible.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast offering.
I hope to see you you back in the hotel in the near future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

Used Copthorne when went to the symphony Hall - very near and convenient - room was OK - quiet :) Breakfast great - couldn't fault it for price paid although full price would have been pushing it a bit

Room Tip: upper floors are quieter
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saishe
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear saishe,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent visit to the hotel.
I was glad that you enjoyed our breakfast, it is something we take great pride in.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel if you return to the city again in the future.