“Good Value But Tired”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 15 December 2011

My wife and I stayed one night before a business meeting in the city centre.

Parking here is easy, even if central Birmingham traffic is as bad as ever. We were welcomed warmly by all staff members and they were very helpful

We ate in the bar and the beer and food were good. A nice touch is that you can also order the restaurant menu there.

The room was large and quite comfortable, BUT...
There was no bar fridge, the TV system was out of action throughout our stay, the decor is very tired and one of the lifts was under repair. Just not what we expected of a city centre Millenium Copthorne. Perhaps this is why the room rate is so reasonable?

Thanks to all the staff for making up for the tired and worn out feel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank andyblackburn
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2011

Dear andyblackburn,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you were impressed with the staff and also food at the hotel.
I am sorry if you encountered issues with your television during your stay and I hope that the planned maintenance of our lifts did not disrupt your stay too much.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham whenever you return to the city.

Reviewed 10 December 2011

I read the reviews on trip advisor by accident really, I was only here for a night after what was gong to be a heavy drinking session, so really it was only a bed. However here are my thoughts. It's difficult to get to, I could see it but could I get to it? Not without going around and around the Queensway tunnel/road/nightmare, once there I was lucky enough to get one of the limited spaces for parking, £12 for the night, I thought was more than acceptable. Inside the hotel, oh my word this is one hotel that needs a face lift. Hey it was comfortable, clean and had all the hotel requirements, but it was circa 1980. Call me a snob, but I have never seen a TV that big for like ever, it was more boxy that a 1980s Volvo, the room was outdated too as was the bathroom, but it all worked and though I haven't seen a shower quite the same as this one since I left home many moons ago, it was powerful and a dream to stand in with a hangover. The bar and restaurant area are more up to date, the beer was good and the breakfast the next day was lovely and a snip at £8 compared with a travel lodge one at £15. So yes the hotel is out dated and in need of some TLC, but whilst I wouldn't want to spend more than night or so here, there really isn't much wrong with it......just check under the bed to make sure Starsky and Hutch or Freddie Krugger aren't hiding there.

Room Tip: It won't matter where you have as the hotel is on a huge roundabout surrounded by busy roads
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear olddogpaddler,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the shower and our food and beverage outlets.
We are currently undergoing the project of upgrading the televisions in our rooms across the company and we are scheduled to be done in the first half of 2012.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

I am not one for criticising decent hotels.
As this is rated a 4 star hotel I did not expect the following.

The wallpaper at the bedside wasnt jus a bit mucky, as youd expect in a long established hotel in need of a facelift-- it was FILTHY!!!!!!!!!!1
Bearing in mind its star rating, the lack of amenties in the room is ridiculous.
No Iron, No ironing board and a 45 minute wait for one to be sent up from Housekeeping- but only after 3 phone calls and a stroppy polish supervisor continually teling me to wait as she as too busy.

One usable plug point- right next to the bed, right next to a fixed down reading lamp. Not so bad until you consider iof you want to boil a kettle (stored on the far side of the room) the kettle had to be balanced on the edge of the table, with the spout right undernear a fixed down electrical appliance (No health and safetly issue there then).

After finaly receiving said iron, it was burnt on the plate, leaving my shirt in an unwearable condition.

Attitude of the management when I rasised my concerns- "SO WHAT"
simple, plain and simple.

Whilst the actual room was adequate, the whole place , puporting to be a high class establishment is let down by the attitude of its staff.

I cant comment on the restaurant as I wasnt giving them a single extra penny and ate elsewhere.

Room Tip: ask to see it first.
1  Thank camster66

Dear camster66,

Firstly let me apologise for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I am hugely disappointed to read your comments regarding our service during your visit. As you can see from the other reviews that we have had it is something that we hold highly across the hotel and I am sorry that you did not witness that.
I do hope that you return to the hotel so that we can restore your faith in the hotel and let us give you a much more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

My wife and I booked our hotel through a deal with Superbreak for Friday 2nd Dec 2011 to Sunday 4th Dec 2011.

We arrived at the Hotel at around 4:30pm, parking is located just accross the road, it cost us £8.20 every 24 hours. The greeting we received was very warm and welcoming and check in took less than 10 mins from queuing to getting our keycards.

The hotel is in the very centre of Birmingham, the Xmas market is a stones throw away, hotel is nicely decorated in the lobby and bar. We stayed in room 412 which was away from the bar and xmas parties which were going on at the hotel.

The room was quite, other than the odd siren in the night I slept very well (i'm a light sleeper) the bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and tidy as was the bathroom.

As we booked with Superbreaks we received 1st night dinner free and 2 breakfasts, on arriving first night dinner became second night dinner as the restaurant was fully booked, this was a little disappointing as we had plans the second night which we needed to reschedule so I suggest you book first, also the free meal is a £30 discount (£15 each) it is possible to eat free but we just had it taken off the bill so we spent around £20, food here is good, drinks are expensive £10 for a pint of lager and a medium red wine (they don't do small) but this is the same wherever you stay and it is not OVER priced.

On to the breakfast, foodwise this was fantastic, the best breakfast I have had in the UK this includes top London hotels, they have real cumberland sausage, great bacon, fruit and even salmon, just one word of warning go down to breakfast early, once 9:30am comes there are very few seats to be had.

The main Birmingham attractions are close, the Bullring, Mail Box and Broard Street are all within a 5-10 minute walk

The only inconvenience was one of the lifts was out of order, I already new this, so it was not really a big deal just took a bit longer to get to the room.

If you are looking for the Mandarin Oriental this is not (nor near the price!!) for a quiet, comfortable stay, in a nice friendly hotel with good staff and well priced in a big city, I would recommend this hotel, I will stay here again when I visit Birmingham again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gazsil1
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

Dear gazsil1,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and will look to return to us again.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you do decide to return.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

We had a Superbreak deal from 2nd - 4th December to include B & B and dinner on 1st night.
The hotel is centrally situated near New Street and Broad Street.
On arrival the reception staff were very pleasant and helpful and we were able to access our room at 12.40pm. We had room 530 and this was spaceous and comfortable enough for our 2 night stay. There was very little traffic noise.
Dinner was OK in the Brasserie although when asked if everything had been satisfactory I mentioned that some of the beef which I had left had been "chewy". I was offered a replacement but as the other 3 in my party had finished their meals this was not really an option.
Throughout our stay there was only one lift working and this meant long queues at times. Breakfast included fruit juices, cereals, fruit, meats, smoked salmon as well as
the usual buffet selection.
Overall if I got a similar deal I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bob2147
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Dear Bob2147,

Thank you for leaving your comments after your recent stay with us. I was glad to read that overall you were happy with your stay and would return on a similar package again.
I have discussed your comments regarding the beef with our Head Chef and we apologise for the fact that some of it was 'chewy'.
I also hope that the planned maintenance to our lifts did not cause too much of a hinderance during your stay.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 December 2011

Well the good points are....very nice food in the excellent in house Chinese restaurant, couldn't be faulted. Likewise the rooms are good if a little dated. Location is great just off Broad St and city centre.

Staff were good very well mannered and breakfast was really nice

Unfortunately that's where it ends,

The bar literally ran out of beer,no draught of any type and by the second night just one bottle beer at £3.80 a pop! We waited nearly 2 hours between ordering and receiving a main course at the restaurant (although it was v nice when it did arrive).

It's a shame as this hotel could be really good but there are some obvious management issues regarding ordering stock and service delivery in the restaurant, It was also obvious there was no one around to complain to in the bar/restaurant area about these issues.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Dear Bingobalss,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed certain aspects of your visit.
Let me apologise for the fact that we had indeed ran out of certain draught beer during your stay. I am of course aware of the situation and can clarify that it was an unfortunate occurence and one that will not be repeated.
I was also disappointed to read that you felt that there was no one around to discuss this with as the hotel has 24 hour a day duty management cover. I will certainly discuss this with the management team at the hotel.
I do hope that the issues you had would not deter you from booking the hotel again as we would love to welcome you back to show that they were indeed unfortunate isolated cases.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

friendly helpful staff but working in poor quality building. 1 lift broken all weekend, bathroom very poor mouldy cracked tiling awful shower.clean though. breakfast ok well staffed.

needs major spend to become a quality hotel.
good position for shops

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Dear stejancox,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your weekend visit.
I was pleased to read that you were impressed with our staff and I will make sure these kind comments are passed onto them.
As you mentioned the lift is out of action and this is due to planned maintenance work that we are having carried out on them. I do hope it did not cause too much of a disruption to your visit.
I will look into your comments regarding the bathroom. I believe I have ascertained which room you stayed in and I will get the maintenance team to resolve the problems raised straight away.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.