“Happy with the service”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Fourth/fifth stay when in Birmingham at the NEC. After a problem last year we were given a good price on a suite (The Weller Suite!) and were happy with the value,treatment and service. A little hitch about noise in the room was sorted out quickly and we were told we would be 'looked after' if we stay again. Pleasant helpsul staff from check-in through the bar to the restaurant and the cleaing staff made the stay enjoyable. The only criticism is that the room is a bit spartan for a suite and needs a bit of extra va va voom

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear AndrewCYorkshire,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that on a whole you were happy with your stay and the small problem that you encountered was rectified.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel when you visit Birmingham again.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Although the rooms are ok- cleanliness is clearly not a priority in the dining area. Visible dirt and cobwebs on the wall and ceiling junctions were not conducive to a good appetite at breakfast or the buffet lunch provided.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Dear KathrynT002,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us at the hotel.
I am sorry that you were unhappy with some lapses in our housekeeping that you witnessed in the restaurant. Please be rest assured that this is not indicative of our usual high levels of cleanliness.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights over Pride 2011.
Check-in was ok, not the fastest but you don't mind waiting when theres Sky News on behind Reception. The receptionist was very polite and informative.
The room we were checked into was fantastic. The bed was, and upto today still is, the comfiest bed i have slept in !! The room was very clean and ample for my stay.
The bar area was nice, very quiet to have a nice drink in before heading back to the hustle and bustle of Bham Town centre over pride.
All of the staff were pleasent and helpful. Pride 2012 is in June 2012 and we've booked again ready, I will be recommending to my friends to stay here too !

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Dear Gavp1990,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your stay with us last year.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. I am also pleased to see that you will be returning this year and I look forward to welcoming you back in June.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

First impression looked good then it went down hill after leaving the lift on the 3rd floor.
Very dissappointed as you expect a certain standart from a copthorne hotel. Depressing room, undecorated corridors, cheap looking doors, peeling wall paper, mould stain on the ceiling above bed..
This hotel needs a hotel inspector.
Quick..
Those who have said its a good hotel must live in a shack!
This teaches me never take a hotels name for granted..

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Loveroffinethings,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review after your recent stay at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. We are in the process of in house decoration to all bedrooms. I am sorry if you felt your room was not up to standard but rest assured we are working to bring them up to the same levels as the public areas.
I do hope that you return to the hotel in the future so you can see first hand the changes that have occured.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

This trip was with 7 colleagues for a conference. I had booked the hotel having stayed here on a few previous occasions since 1993. The rooms dont appear to have changed other than looking a little worn, as you could expect after 18 years!

On arrival the front desk checked in had the booking confused due to the booking agent, however that was quickly sorted. The receptionist kindly offered me membership of their loyalty programme, having booked 8 rooms. The scheme provided a 20% discount on food and beverages in the hotel, which, considering my 7 colleagues and I arent too shy of approaching a bar, was quite a saving.

The room I was allocated was clean, albeit a little worn and basic. It looked like the mini bar had been removed, they must have known we were about to arrive! There's nothing particularly "wrong" with these rooms and from memory of my visit back in 1993 they looked quite smart...but that was 18 years ago and although they appear to have lasted incredibly well they are now looking dated. The bar area is a little strange in its design, being situated in what could be described as the corridor from reception to restaurant... and having visited quite a few hotel bars nearby it's relatively quiet. Having said that, if you get a seat its a comfortable place for a relaxing drink. The bar is well stocked and service fine.

Check out and concierge were efficient and cant be faulted.

Good points....Good rates available if you book early. Reception staff are efficient and bar staff fine. Overall atmosphere is a good one!

Bad points....The standard rooms are looking a basic, however it may be fair comment to say that this is reflected in the rates.

Room Tip: Book early for some very good rates.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TonyLonsdale
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear TonyLonsdale,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.
I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

I arrived on the evening of the 11th Jan after a 3hr drive from South London. The hotel is a bit of a nightmare to find even with a Sat Nav as the entrance isn't terribly well marked and I drove past it twice....

At check in I was made by a glacial receptionist who informed me that there was no reservation for me....seeing as I'd checked that afternoon I was confident that I had and on checking she agreed.......as detailed in another review, the check in process is anything but warm!!

My room was on the first floor and on opening the door it smelt musty and of stale urine.....the size of the room was fine but if I'd travelled with my 6 foot husband there would have been no way we'd have both got in the bed as it wasn't a standard double but more a 4 foot bed!

I ordered room service and a wonderful man on the other end of the 'phone sorted my order and promised it would be with me within 20 mins (which it was) and it was hot and tasty!!

The room during the night was swelteringly hot (even with the radiators off) and I had to open the window which over looked the dual carraige way so got some traffic noise.

I was woken at 0230hrs by noise from the bar which was directly underneath my room - on contacting reception I was told "there is a big party in there" which didn't exactly help and they finally left the bar at nearly 0400.

On check out I complained about the noise from the preivious night/ morning to be told that "we have a 24hr bar you have to expect some noise".....well actually no I don't - I expect a decent nights sleep prior to a hard day not being kept up by a load of pissed up adults!

With the exception of the very nice man on room service I felt the staff need some serious retraining - especially the reception staff and the rooms need serious deep cleaning and updating!

I also object to paying £12 for car parking on "a bit of waste land with a barrier" in the words of the glacial receptionist (female with long blonde hair)!!!!

Room Tip: Get a high room away from the bar and don't bring your own car unless you want to pay the £12 fo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jackie G

Dear essexgirlSurrey,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay with us at the hotel. I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely happy with your stay and in particular that we fell short in the customer service that we provided. This is not the normal high standards that we achieve at the hotel and I will certainly review the ongoing training that takes place for all the staff.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel so that you can have a better stay and a true reflection of the service that we offer at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Living just outside Birmingham I remember this hotel being built and have walked past a thousand times but had never previously set foot inside the place. Got a room on a good deal as we'd booked a Christmas party there. If you're staying in Birmingham the location couldn't be better, very easy to reach the nightlife of Broad Street and Brindley Place in one direction and the city centre in the other.

Other plus points were that the room was clean and a very generous size and, despite overlooking the road, sound insulation was excellent. Reception was OK, everything was done professionally but there wasn't exactly a warm welcome (to be fair there were dozens of party/hotel guests queuing up). Breakfast was pretty average. Main negative for me is that all of the decor just seems very tired, it's like the hotel hasn't had the decorators in since the 1990's. It's not shabby or dirty, just old-fashioned.

I wouldn't put off anyone staying here as it's basically a decent hotel in a great location although I'd certainly be looking to see if I could get get a reduction on the rack rate.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Jdian,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review after your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.
I was pleased to read that on a whole you enjoyed your visit and would look to book again.
I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.