“Definatly not a 4* very tired and in need of a refurb .”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Buckinghamshire
“Definatly not a 4* very tired and in need of a refurb .”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Booked the hotel through the web , on arrival we were told the carparks were full & we would have to park either in the Europarks or the Multi storey accross the way! all at a pemium cost. having booked two rooms for the evening we were not satified but excepted the fact . That was until the lady checking in next to me was told that she could leave her car directly outside the hotel and i repeat " thats no problem at all " !!!!..... After voicing my opinion I will i her defence say the receptionist was very nice & obviously embarresed and hurried out with her umbrella to ' make!!!' a space for us.
We were on the first floor we had two rooms which were both clean , but Very tired and very tatty the head board had come away from the wall , the bed extreamly uncomfortable and just a standard double. The rooms are also very small. The professional photographs showing the rooms is certainly NOT what our rooms looked like , and i wish now i had taken a photo so you could see the difference.
The breakfast was very nice & the service was very good, with a great selection of hot and cold available , eggs are cooked on request also eggs bennidict ! ( which was very nice ) .
The staff i found very nice but would i stay there again ..... not until its been refurbished, and cleaned up!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences online. I was disappointed to read your comments and have taken some time to investigate.

Our parking on site is available on a first come first serve basis. Alternatively, there is 200 space multi storey car park just opposite the hotel on Cambridge Street, or Pay and Display just outside. Both of these options are available at a slightly cheaper rate that the hotels main car park. Our parking is priced at £12 per 24 hours and is most definitely the cheapest of all Broad Street hotels offering on site parking. We aim to keep our rates keen and fair.

Parking at the front of the hotel is reserved for those guests who hold a Disability blue badge. I understand that on this occasion our receptionist was able to allocate you one of these spaces despite no badge being present. It is unfortunate that her efforts to accommodate have been taken with a negative feeling; however your comments have been noted and shared with the team for future clarity.

I was happy to see that you enjoyed breakfast and found the staff to be friendly and polite. Whilst I hope the rooms were clean, I note your comments relating to size and décor. Please be assured that we are currently working on a programme of redecoration. I do hope that you are able to see the benefit of these works on a future stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let me know prior to your next arrival so that I can ensure a suitable room is allocated.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Ireland
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This may have been 4 star once upon a time, but the latter has taken its toll and hotel is now run down & dated. Very disappointing indeed!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences online. I was disappointed to read your comments and would welcome any specific comments that you may have.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss the matter. Thank you once again for the time you have taken.

Front Office Manager

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Yateley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I recently stayed here whilst attending a conference at the ICC. The hotel was ideally placed and offered good value for money. The rooms were quiet and there was no street noise at all despite being situated on a main road (although I did not need to open the windows due to the time of year). There was also no noise to be heard from adjoining rooms. The staff were all helpful and polite. Bar snacks, such as sandwiches, were fairly priced and enjoyable. The breakfast was filling and there was a good variety of foods available. All in all, for the money, I couldn't fault this hotel. When I attend another conference in Birmingham, this will be my first choice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback online following your recent stay at the hotel. It is always a pleasure to read such positive feedback – please be assured that your comments will be shared with the whole team.

Please make sure you let me know prior to your next arrival so that I can ensure that the most suitable room is allocated.

London
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Over the years I have stayed in many Birmingham hotels. During the past 12 months I have chosen to stay at the Copthorne during each trip. The standard of the hotel is high and its rates are extremelycompetitive. Customer service cannot be faulted. Very good value for money.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank David K
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback online following your recent stay at the hotel. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Our Main restaurant is Malaysian and Chinese style food, however a Western menu is also available to all guests – just ask the restaurant team. We do hope to see you soon.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Being of senior years, and my wife having a disability, we found the hotel to be central enough for us to get to the canal area and the shopping area without having to cross major road junctions. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and yes perhaps the rooms could do with an update, but they were clean and comfortable.
The resturant would benefit the more senior guests by including more western dishes on the menu. The Copthorne Hotel would definetly be used for any future visits to Birmingham

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

If you're looking for a hotel in the heart of Birmingham, with great access to Broad Street, the NIA and canal bars, then this is a great place to stay. I read a bunch of reviews saying how bad this hotel was, but at the end of the day, if you pay £50 for a room, as i did, you're going to get £50's worth of hotel!
The bed was clean, the bathroom was clean, the towels were clean.. it didn't have flat screen tv's, plush coverings, and designer bathroom accessories, but it was clean and warm after a night at the NIA.
The only fault i found was that my room overlooked the main road, and i couldn't have my window open over night due to the noise, but apart from that.. it did exactly what it said on the tin!
Don't book this hotel if you want a £200 a night hotel.. but if you want somewhere clean and central for a fantastic £50.. then this is the place!!
For the record.. the breakfast was also great.. couldn't fault it, or the staff serving in the breakfast area..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank voddyqueen
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments shared online, following your recent stay. I am happy to hear such positive comments and that you found the hotel to be located conveniently and to a clean standard.

Whilst our central location has many positives, noise disruption can on rare occasions cause upset. We would be more than happy to allocate a room in a quieter area of the hotel on a future stay. Fans are also available by request at the main reception desk should you wish to keep your windows closed. Thank you once again for the time you have taken. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just stayed here for a night on business.

Hotel is very very central to Birmingham - Broad St is literally 5 mins walk from the hotel.

Hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating.
Rooms were pretty good size and well equiped.

Bar prices are pretty expensive even for a city hotel.

Breakfast buffet had a great choice but was a little cold...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I was disappointed to hear that you found breakfast to be cold. Our breakfast is normally an area in which we score highly so I would be interested in some further details such as the dates of your stay, so that I can investigate your comments fully. I was happy to see such a balanced view and would like to thank you for your kind comments relating to the team and service received.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future and thank you once again.