“Disappoint business trip”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #102 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Disappoint business trip”
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the copthorne Birmingham whilst on business in the city.
The rooms are very dated and in need of a refurb.
For a business trip I expect a few basics:
- plug sockets. There was only 1 in the room, so I couldn't charge my phone and lap top at the same time
- iron and ironing board. There wasn't one in the room.
-a good nights sleep!!! The room I was staying in was facing a lot of bars and pubs and there was music blaring until the early hours. Then at around 4am the radiator started making a load noise that continued until I left.

So I went to my meetings tired, with a creased shirt and an uncharged laptop.

Terrible.

• Stayed May 2012
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for the time that you have taken to share your experiences online, via Tripadvisor.co.uk. I must say that I am concerned to read your comments, previously being made aware following your departure by our reception team. I note that a member of our Duty Management team has since contacted you via email but has had no response to her final offer.

I have been to visit room 306 this afternoon and note 4 plug sockets available for use. The TV and Internet router are plugged into two of these sockets leaving 2 more spare. I also note your disappointment at the lack of ironing facilities despite confirming on departure that you did not request an iron or board during your stay.

Whilst an inconvenience, I am sure that our team would have been able to locate you a more suitable room had they been made aware of your concerns during your stay. As confirmed in the email sent to your following your departure, we will continue to monitor the radiator for any further intermittent faults as described but have so far been unable to determine the source of the described noise. Being located in the City Centre, our rooms on a rare occasion can be affected by outside noise. Please let us know prior to your next arrival and will be happy to allocate a room in a quieter area of the hotel.

Thank you once again for the time you have taken. We look forward to your response in due course.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on business and the room was booked by my work. Reading the reviews on here, I arrived with some trepidation. I shouldn't have worried.

On arrival, I was informed that I had been booked into a club room which entitled me to free wifi, a free paper in the morning and 2 complimentary drinks at the bar. This was a fantastic surprise.

In the room, the bed was comfortable and extra towels and pillows were provided along with a nice little selection of toiletries. I couldn't get the tv to work which was disappointing but not the end of the world as it was late anyway.

Breakfast consisted of the usual hot buffet style fare that you see in most hotels now. Cereals and fruit were also available.

It's also conveniently located being a brisk 10 minute stroll to New Street Station.

• Stayed April 2012
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences online. It is more often than not the negative comments that are portrayed online and so it is always a pleasure when someone who has enjoyed their stay, takes time to comment.

Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Good hotel, handy for central Birmingham, Good room, comfortable bed, very clean. Excellent breakfast, be sure to book that when you check in for a better deal.

Strange tv in room, but aren't they all - do all hotel managements source strange clunky old-fashioned set-ups, perhaps they are deliberately making the sets unattractive/almost unusable so people don't steal them?? (this is a general comment, not just for Copthorne Hotels). A modern system would be so much better.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences online. That’s an interesting thought – But I can ensure you that the TV’s were not selected for that reason! We are currently working on having our TV systems replaced, so hopefully this will be addressed as quickly as possible.

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Booked the hotel through the web , on arrival we were told the carparks were full & we would have to park either in the Europarks or the Multi storey accross the way! all at a pemium cost. having booked two rooms for the evening we were not satified but excepted the fact . That was until the lady checking in next to me was told that she could leave her car directly outside the hotel and i repeat " thats no problem at all " !!!!..... After voicing my opinion I will i her defence say the receptionist was very nice & obviously embarresed and hurried out with her umbrella to ' make!!!' a space for us.
We were on the first floor we had two rooms which were both clean , but Very tired and very tatty the head board had come away from the wall , the bed extreamly uncomfortable and just a standard double. The rooms are also very small. The professional photographs showing the rooms is certainly NOT what our rooms looked like , and i wish now i had taken a photo so you could see the difference.
The breakfast was very nice & the service was very good, with a great selection of hot and cold available , eggs are cooked on request also eggs bennidict ! ( which was very nice ) .
The staff i found very nice but would i stay there again ..... not until its been refurbished, and cleaned up!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences online. I was disappointed to read your comments and have taken some time to investigate.

Our parking on site is available on a first come first serve basis. Alternatively, there is 200 space multi storey car park just opposite the hotel on Cambridge Street, or Pay and Display just outside. Both of these options are available at a slightly cheaper rate that the hotels main car park. Our parking is priced at £12 per 24 hours and is most definitely the cheapest of all Broad Street hotels offering on site parking. We aim to keep our rates keen and fair.

Parking at the front of the hotel is reserved for those guests who hold a Disability blue badge. I understand that on this occasion our receptionist was able to allocate you one of these spaces despite no badge being present. It is unfortunate that her efforts to accommodate have been taken with a negative feeling; however your comments have been noted and shared with the team for future clarity.

I was happy to see that you enjoyed breakfast and found the staff to be friendly and polite. Whilst I hope the rooms were clean, I note your comments relating to size and décor. Please be assured that we are currently working on a programme of redecoration. I do hope that you are able to see the benefit of these works on a future stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let me know prior to your next arrival so that I can ensure a suitable room is allocated.

Ireland
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This may have been 4 star once upon a time, but the latter has taken its toll and hotel is now run down & dated. Very disappointing indeed!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences online. I was disappointed to read your comments and would welcome any specific comments that you may have.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss the matter. Thank you once again for the time you have taken.

Front Office Manager

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Yateley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I recently stayed here whilst attending a conference at the ICC. The hotel was ideally placed and offered good value for money. The rooms were quiet and there was no street noise at all despite being situated on a main road (although I did not need to open the windows due to the time of year). There was also no noise to be heard from adjoining rooms. The staff were all helpful and polite. Bar snacks, such as sandwiches, were fairly priced and enjoyable. The breakfast was filling and there was a good variety of foods available. All in all, for the money, I couldn't fault this hotel. When I attend another conference in Birmingham, this will be my first choice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback online following your recent stay at the hotel. It is always a pleasure to read such positive feedback – please be assured that your comments will be shared with the whole team.

Please make sure you let me know prior to your next arrival so that I can ensure that the most suitable room is allocated.

London
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Over the years I have stayed in many Birmingham hotels. During the past 12 months I have chosen to stay at the Copthorne during each trip. The standard of the hotel is high and its rates are extremelycompetitive. Customer service cannot be faulted. Very good value for money.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good