“Very disappointing”

Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Derby, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed for one night courtesy of the point system, as we stay a lot at the one in Newcastle.

First impressions good. Check in was a bit tedious, but in fairness the girl did state it was her first week so excusable.

We had a free upgrade voucher which we used. When we got to our 2nd floor room, it looked ok but couldn't understand what was upgraded about it. I phoned down the the receptionist said it had been refurnished and we had free wifi. If we wanted to move there were only std twins available so we left it at all.

It was clean and the bathroom was well appointed.

The room was small and very hot. Considered it had been recently refurnished, there was little evidence of this. There were stains on the carpet, not enough plug sockets - you couldn't have the kettle & lamp on at the same time. No air conditioning so you had to open the windows which is very noisy when you are in the centre of the A38 Birmingham, 2nd floor. The wifi was very weak and unreliable.

We didn't sleep well due to the stuffiness.

We had already decided not to do breakfast as I am very fond of the cote brasserie nearby. So can't comment about food.

Location wise, reasonably close to everywhere, but noisy.

In all, quite disappointing :-(

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback online via Tripadvisor.co.uk.

I am happy to see that our reception team were able to accommodate your request for an upgrade despite having no note on your initial reservation and I am happy to see that you found the bath room to be both clean and well appointed. It may of interest to know that we have recently, just last week, received delivery of a stock of 220 stand alone air conditioning units which our maintenance team are currently installing in each bedroom.

I am sorry to see that on this occasion we have failed to meet your expectations and do hope that your previous experience of the brand is not completely marred. If you would like to contact me at jed.weldon@millenniumhotels.co.uk I can arrange for your free upgrade voucher to be reinstated.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

The Copthorne Birmingham is one of the worst hotels I have stayed in, and that's saying something!

The photos on the website do not accurately portray this hotel from what I've seen; at first I was sure I was in the wrong place!

To call the decor 'tired' would be a vast understatement; it does not appear that they have done any updates since the mid-50s and things have deteriorated since. Overall it looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.

The parking situation is absurd, in that it has reached new levels of inconvenience while also charging a 50% premium to its competetition across the street. There are also far too few spots relative to the size of the hotel.

Another point of absurdity is that they charge for internet access, and it ain't cheap! It boggles the mind that hotels still pull stunts like this despite the number of people with far cheaper 3G options.

Life is too short to stay at dumps like this. Suffice it to say that you'll want to spend most of your time away from your room.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank The_Travelr
Dear Guest

It is clear that on this occasion we have failed to meet your basic expectations. To clarify, our charges for parking at £12 per 24 hour period are the cheapest of all Broad Street hotels. We aim to keep our rate keen and fair for our customers. Likewise, our internet charges are seen as competitive in comparison to our competitors. Our Loyalty scheme regards those returning guests with inclusions such as room upgrades and internet charges and this may be something that you wish to consider going forward.

I not your particularly low scoring of service yet can pinpoint no concerns with regards to this are in your response.

Front Office Manager

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cockermouth, Cumbria
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We booked two club rooms for a one night stay (our first in Birmingham) and first of all couldn't get a parking space but found an adequate one across the road. Check in was very efficient and first impressions were positive then it hit us... walking along the corridor we could smell cigarette smoke and a generally unpleasant odour... we opened the door and couldn't believe it. The room was dated, the carpet was loose (a health and safety issue) I tripped slightly on it. The room was dusty, the lamp wasn't working, the desk light wouldn't stay upright. The cupboard doors didn't fit properly. Only one plug in the room. The beds were hard, the TV didn't have a very good signal and only worked occassionally.
The only good part of this hotel stay was the restaurant, food was lovely, the staff a pleasure.
I talked to a few shop staff (it was after all a shopping trip) and quite a few of them said that customers from away had said similar and they didn't rate the hotel at all..... It is a very poor misrepresenation from what is promised via their website.

Room Tip: Only book this hotel if there isn't anything else
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank livy1412
Dear Guest

I note that your arrival time was after 8.00pm on a Saturday evening, a night in which the hotel was fully booked. Whilst we do not reserve parking, our team were able to direct you to Cambridge Street car park which is just a short walk from the hotel.

I am aware having corresponded with you following your stay that you were only allocated one of the two booked Club bedrooms. Your comments relate to the standard room that you stayed in and that we have already taken action to refund the upgrade fee paid for this room. Whilst the room may be a little dated in comparison to the Club Room, it is delivered at a clean standard. We have taken action since your departure to fix the lamp – I am aware that you requested this was not done during your stay.

I’m not sure that your comments relating to “local shop keepers” are particularly fair as this allegation remains unconfirmed. As you can see from the reviews on this website, generally guests experience vary depending on circumstance during their stay and general expectancy of a stay.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Just returned here after spending a lads weekend away in Birmingham. The staff were very friendly and check in took no time at all even though we had 7 rooms. The breakfast buffet is fantastic. Rooms clean, spacious and comfy beds. Great location for Broad Street (2 min walk) and the shops on New St (2 min walk) Cant fault this place at all.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing the experiences of you and your 13 friends following your recent stay. It is refreshing to hear such positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

poulton-le-fylde
Reviewed 4 July 2012

stayed here on business. Hotel is in a good location for the station, the shops and the bullring centre. Check in was fine but no information given about breakfast, gym or anything else and the clerk sent me to the first floor when I was on the fifth floor!!
Bedroom was very tired and in need of sprucing up and was very basic. Didnt go in the bar because they were showing the football but it looked nice and was popular. Breakfast was the usual buffet style with nothing particularly good or bad but plenty of staff on duty and all the staff were really nice and friendly.
I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your balanced views of the hotel and for noting in particular the friendly staff members. I would be interested to speak with you directly regarding your check in experience.

Thank you once again.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Hotel very convenient for NEC. Friendly, comfortable. Some U.K food but mainly .chinese cantonese and thai.in restaurants. service excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay here at the Copthorne Birmingham. I was delighted to read such great feedback and will ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

wales
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here for one night as a couple.
We had a basic room which was fine for what we wanted, lovely hotel nad the room was clean, maybe a coat of paint could of brightened it up but we were happy otherwise.
Breakfast was lovely buffet style, very helpful staff.
Ideally located for shopping and going out and about, a little noisy as we were overlooking the weatherspoons beer garden but it never kept us awake.
Clean and tidy, great staff, great location, powerful shower, everything we needed, would go back for sure

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay here at the Copthorne Birmingham. I was delighted to read such balanced views that were on the whole extremely positive. We are currently working through our in house redecoration programme, which involves the repainting of our standard double rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon – please feel free to contact me prior to your next arrival so that I can ensure a suitable room is allocated.

Kind regards