“Shabby, badly maintained and very hot”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I'd booked this hotel through Hotwire and got a good rate, although I did ask why a 4 star hotel in central Birmingham is selling its rooms so cheaply? This is one of the redeeming aspects of my stay; the other was breakfast which was very pleasant. The rest of my stay was somewhat disappointing.

The receptionist who checked me in must have taken a dislike to me as she put me in the room furthest from reception facing onto a 3 lane road. Or maybe it was hotel policy giving people who book through Hotwire the worst rooms - you get what you pay for and all that.

There was only one lift working so after some wait I eventually made it to my room. The immediate thing I noticed upon opening the door was the warm draught of stale cigarette smoke that pervaded the air. I note some other reviewers have also noticed this. The room was very hot so I went to open the window. The curtains smelt quite badly of stale cigarette smoke so clearly this is what was causing the problem - makes you wonder when they were last laundered. I then noticed the window opening mechanism was broken so the window would neither stay open nor shut. It wasn't appropriate to have the window open as the traffic noise was significant. Unfortunately not being able to shut the window properly didn't exactly help either. It did beg the question of maintenance - surely someone should have checked and fixed this? So, I decided to switch on the "free standing a/c machine" to find it was nothing more than a noisy fan that just blew hot air around - about as much use as a chocolate teapot. It was certainly no use during the night due to the whirring noise and it was only as tall as the bed so didn't blow any air over the top. Hence this made for a very hot and uncomfortable night........a four star hotel with no a/c.....the mind boggles.

The full impact of the state of the room then hit me........1960's decor......mdf furniture......an uncomfortable chair with threadbare arms......lampshades that clearly had been used as footballs sometime in the 1970s.....stains on the carpets and walls......a dribble shower.......a TV from the 1980's that constantly flickered and you needed binoculars to watch from the bed......and to top it off a spongy and badly worn out mattress........woohoo what a great hotel.......then the grande finale.....a 6 foot high free standing lamp that leant like the tower of pisa.....and it didn't work!! This wasn't exactly my idea of a 4 star hotel......very very disappointing.....

When I checked out i was keen to inform reception of the faults and maybe share some feedback on my experience....unfortunately neither of the receptionists (I think they were called Hannah and Heather) asked me if I'd had a nice stay......they just ensured I paid up what I owed and went back to their conversation......maybe another hotel policy not to ask guests if they'd had a nice stay as they know they won't get many positive responses.....

Overall, a good rate but a huge letdown for a 4 star hotel.....

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your recent email and subsequent correspondence via Tripadvisor.co.uk. Firstly, please allow me to apologise for any delay in response to you. I do hope that you received my out of office at the time of sending your email.

Firstly, please allow me to assure you of our relationship with Hotwire.com. As a merchant, Hotwire often require all of their hotel partners to partake in flash-sales or reduced rates, thus increasing desirability of their own website as well as that of the hotels which partner with it. The allocation of your bedroom is no way affected by the booking method and rooms are allocated on arrival at the hotel; based on availability of clean and vacant rooms upon your arrival.

One of our main reception lifts was placed out of order by staff late on Saturday afternoon and was out of action for approximately 4 hours whilst we awaited external engineers to attend site. Whilst an inconvenience; it was unfortunately a matter that was out of our control at the time. I do hope that the slight wait or use of stairs was not too much of an inconvenience to you for this short period.

Having visited room 538 with my housekeeping Manager, we have been able to investigate your comments with regards to décor and furniture. The freestanding lamp is in working order and is operated via the main bedroom light switches. We have also checked the mattress, which was delivered as part of our new stock less than six months ago. We are unable to determine any wear and tare as described in your email.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the damage to the window. Please accept my sincerest apologies that this was not spotted before you arrived. Our Maintenance team have now been made aware and will act to replace the broken mechanism.

As a company, we encourage both positive and negative guest feedback and actively promote our in house Guest satisfaction survey. A copy of this can be found in each guest bedroom and is forwarded onto the management team who then in turn respond directly to any guest concerns. I agree completely that during check out you should be presented with the opportunity to share your experiences whilst still on site. A Duty Manager is also available 24 hours a day who would be more than happy to take action on your concerns whilst you were still in house. I will speak to the team members involved on your day of departure, to ensure that they are clear on procedures and expectations. This was clearly not the case on your day of departure and for this I wish to extend my personal apologies. I wish to inform you that I have also requested that Tripadvisor contact you regarding the use of personal names in your review on such a public forum. I do hope that you are able to assist in omitting the personal reference of names.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any further concerns and thank you once again for the time that you have taken. Should you wish, and as a token of our appreciation for the time you have taken - I would be happy to offer a complimentary upgrade on your next stay. Please contact me directly so that I can check availability and our most negotiable rates available for your chosen dates.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

This is a central hotel and on first seeing our suite we thought we had booked wisely, having a good size bedroom and a large lounge. However, little were we to know of the pitfalls. Firstly, the Jacuzzi bath did not work. We were informed that it had to be turned off due to health and safety!!
It was also a very hot weekend and unbelievably, there is no air conditioning, so we had to open all the windows and then could not sleep because of the all night traffic noise. The following morning we could not use the shower because the thermostatic valve was not working and the water only came out red hot. They were unable to fix this during the day and to be fair, they did offer us another room, but as we were leaving the following morning, we declined. I understand this hotel site is due to be redeveloped. I can only say not before time!

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences online at Tripadvisor.co.uk.

Sometimes things do go wrong, but I am happy to see that the team were forward thinking and logical in their approach to trying to resolve your problems with as little disruption to your stay as possible.

Our building is 25 years old and at the time, air con was not built in. We have recently (past few weeks) received stock of free standing air con units which are now available in each guest room. I do hope that on a future stay you are able to benefit from this.

Thank you once again for the time that you have taken.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Have stayed here several times on business. Rooms are fine , clean comfortable , and always slept well here. Good bar and decent choice. Really excellent Thai restaurant for evening meals, breakfast always good. Just wish they and many other hotels would not cook bacon in a huge pile in the oven, so that it comes out bland and the fat not crispy.Great location for nights in centre of Birmingham , bars and restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I was happy to read such positive comments from a returning guest. Next time you are here, speak to our Restaurant team who would be happy to cook your breakfast to order.

Thank you once again for the time that you have taken; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Not impressed by this hotel.. its like sleeping in the middle of a busy roundabou in central Birmingham.

Rooms are very tired, dated and uncomfortable.

My room was compleltly overlooked by an office block next door ! which wasn't ideal..

Room Tip: Ask for the best room available...they have had a refurd but will only put you in an old room first.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback online via Tripadvisor.co.uk.

Our hotel is indeed situated in the City Centre of Birmingham, Paradise Circus. Whilst we are surrounded by roadways in 3 sides, the majority of our rooms face inwards and away from road noise. I note that your room faced an office block and would like to confirm that this room would indeed have been shielded from any roads as a result.

I note that you found the room to be uncomfortable and would welcome any specific comments that you may have as to how we may improve this element of your stay.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Stayed in two adjoining rooms with our young teen daughters. The rate was a bargain as it included breakfast ( which was exceptionally good). I am disabled , although mobile, and Julia was very helpful Pre booking with rooms etc. my criticisms were on arrival having been told how close hotel was to Adrian boult hall ( we were coming for a concert). Reception did not know where it was and then having googled it suggested a route with lots of steps! Notes had just confirmed we were in disabled parking!. In fact hotel is excellent for anyone attending either boult or symphony hall! Our rooms were dated, bits of border missing, but beds comfortable and bathroom clean. The smelt musty although reception assured me they had not been smoking rooms for some time. Perhaps carpets etc need changing.
Room service was good value, on time and tasty. Only blot was knock on door gone 11 pm asking to check fire alarm ( a call to warn would have helped ) . Breakfast was good, eggs cooked to order and good quality and presided over by a very pleasant young waiter who was attentive and cleared table. We also thought staff in bar were good. We ate one evening late, a rather mixed order, which all came together and was excellent. Daughter liked vegetarian options. We also were very well looked after when we popped back to watch the Olympic tennis match in the bar lounge by another excellent member of staff. Chatty, interested in where we were visiting and suggested shops we might like while keeping the drinks coming. A lovely break in the day. Overall, the staff and location plus price make this one to recommend but if you want 4 star room, upgrade.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

It is always a pleasure to get the perspective of a family, as the majority of our guests midweek tend to be corporate based. It is also a pleasure to see that you experienced the same levels of service and friendliness from a number of different team members, through out your stay.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

The staff were very helpful and the room size was good.
Unfortunately the airconditioning was not working. There was a joing door to the next room which was not secure and somebody walked into my room when I was about to sleep!!
Food left a lot to be desired..ordered Crumbed plaice with Dauphenoise potatoes and veg and got fish and chips!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Dear Guest

I note the particularly long delay in responding online to your stay back in October 2011. I fear that some of your comments may no longer be valid due to the extensive delay in responding to your stay in October 2011. Our menus will have changed extensively since your stay. I do hope that the security issue that you experienced was investigated fully at the time of your stay.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Stayed here several times now on business. Great modern hotel, with well equiped rooms and facilities. Hotel has an excellent franchise Thai restuarant attached (Bugis St), with good quality food.
Convienient location, with both New Street and the canal area no more than five-ten minutes walk away.
Staff, friendly and helpful. Even posted my phone charger to my home address when I accidentally left it behind.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

It is always a pleasure to receive such balanced feedback. You’d be amazed at the amount of phone and laptop chargers that get left behind on a weekly basis. Thank you once again for the time you have taken. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.