“Great stay”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Great stay”
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

Great location, room was clean, needed slight updating but was still great. Staff are friendly, good bar and resturant in house, however there is also great bars, resturants and night clubs nearby, over highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback via tripadvisor.co.uk.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback with regards to so many areas of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Derby, England
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed for one night on 25th August, after reading the reviews we were slightly wary but it was great. The room was on the 4th floor and decor etc... was fine, view was ok. The bed and furniture was comfortable. Bathroom clean and fully stocked. The breakfast was buffet style, we had the full English which was lovely, the staff at breakfast could not have been more helpful and friendly. Check in and out was good and staff polite.
We went to the Hippodrome and I thought the hotel was quite a way away but it was only about a 10 min walk and was also ideally located for the shops.
There was a little noise from the Jazz bar at night time but not enough to stop me from falling asleep. Also we kept the window open so could hear odd traffic noise from other side of hotel on Aston Express but again that didn't stop us from sleeping.

Overall a lovely stay and the hotel is in a great location.

Room Tip: we were in 403 and it was fine !
Dear Guest

It is always a pleasure to receive such yet balanced feedback regarding a stay. Be sure to let us know next time you are in the area so that we can allocate a suitable room for you and your family.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

birmingham
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The location of the hotel is great as right int the center of Birmingham close to all restaurants bars etc.Rooms are nice clean and comfy all staff are nice and polite.Check in was easy had no problems at all.I would defo reccomend .

Dear Guest

It is always a pleasure to receive such yet balanced feedback regarding a stay. It’s true that you can’t really get a more central location! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

As a last minute, work-related booking I was left with little choice other than staying at the Copthorne hotel. It quickly became obvious why this hotel was struggling to fill its rooms. Please ensure you pack a sense of humour with your toothbrush, you will need it to get through your stay here. I'm sure it was once a lovely hotel but it is in desperate need of modernisation, especially considering the room rate was comparable with the Malmaison and Hotel Du Vin hotels within the city (although I think this was due to the late booking). The room was a wonderful tribute to the 90's with pastel shades and dado rails. I genuinely couldn't relax enough on the worn-out bed to fall asleep and I baulked at the cost of breakfast - over £14. Meeting with colleagues staying at other city centre hotels, it quickly became obvious we'd drawn the short straw. In short, it proved a valuable lesson in forward planning, I'll not be making the same mistake twice in staying at the Copthorne.

Room Tip: Simple - leave via Reception and find another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I was disappointed to hear of your experiences and perceptions of the hotel. I note in particular your comparison of our hotel to both Hotel du Vin and Malmaison hotels. Having scanned your previous reviews on this website, I note your dissatisfaction with experiences in different hotels from both of these brands also.

I am a little concerned as to some aspects of your report and could like to clarify. Breakfast is available in addition to your room rate for just £8.00 per adult upon arrival at the hotel. This is generally considered to be a good deal for both Full English & Continental “all you can eat” style buffet and is competitively priced within our competitor set. I note your dissatisfaction with the mattress in your room, and would be delighted to investigate. Again your comments come as a surprise as our mattresses are all less than 6 months old.

Thank you for your high scoring of location and service received. Whilst you did not agree with the décor of the room, I do hope that your perception of the room’s cleanliness was not affected by this. We take the upkeep and cleanliness of all guest areas with upmost importance.

It is unfortunate that on this occasion we have failed to meet your basic expectations. Thank you once again for the time you have taken.

Front Office Manager

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

UK
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Somewhere to sleep for the night before continuing on our journey...!!!
After reading the reviews I wasn't sure what to expect.. but we've stayed in worse..! The room was great, spacious with a nice bathroom. We didn't watch TV or use the tea/coffee facilities so cannot comment on that (had a bad experience using hotel milk after being left in a warm room so keep away from it now). The room was very warm though and the windows cannot be opened due to being on the 5th floor and in the city centre, but the fan thingy worked to a certain extent..!! We found the room to be clean with no smells and the bed to be ok. The breakfast was good, a buffet help-yourself-style which suits us fine with a good choice of items. We were on a motorbike but they still asked us to park in the car park - just to make sure they got the £12.00 from us..!!! It was raining and we were very wet so just did as we were told..!!, there are other car parks locally which could be used but for one night stay we went along with it !!
Also worth a mention is the in-house restaurant which is chinese style food - we had sweet/sour pork and beef in black bean sauce, steamed rice and noodles/bean sprouts, it was really nice and tasty, the best i've tastest for a while and the staff are really nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences online at Tripadvisor.co.uk. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback regarding so many aspects of your stay.

I would be grateful of any further information relating to the room that you stayed in. The windows on the fifth floor should open to an extent, so I would be more than happy to get our maintenance team to repair and damage.

Thank you once again for the time that you have taken.

Peak District
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I'd booked this hotel through Hotwire and got a good rate, although I did ask why a 4 star hotel in central Birmingham is selling its rooms so cheaply? This is one of the redeeming aspects of my stay; the other was breakfast which was very pleasant. The rest of my stay was somewhat disappointing.

The receptionist who checked me in must have taken a dislike to me as she put me in the room furthest from reception facing onto a 3 lane road. Or maybe it was hotel policy giving people who book through Hotwire the worst rooms - you get what you pay for and all that.

There was only one lift working so after some wait I eventually made it to my room. The immediate thing I noticed upon opening the door was the warm draught of stale cigarette smoke that pervaded the air. I note some other reviewers have also noticed this. The room was very hot so I went to open the window. The curtains smelt quite badly of stale cigarette smoke so clearly this is what was causing the problem - makes you wonder when they were last laundered. I then noticed the window opening mechanism was broken so the window would neither stay open nor shut. It wasn't appropriate to have the window open as the traffic noise was significant. Unfortunately not being able to shut the window properly didn't exactly help either. It did beg the question of maintenance - surely someone should have checked and fixed this? So, I decided to switch on the "free standing a/c machine" to find it was nothing more than a noisy fan that just blew hot air around - about as much use as a chocolate teapot. It was certainly no use during the night due to the whirring noise and it was only as tall as the bed so didn't blow any air over the top. Hence this made for a very hot and uncomfortable night........a four star hotel with no a/c.....the mind boggles.

The full impact of the state of the room then hit me........1960's decor......mdf furniture......an uncomfortable chair with threadbare arms......lampshades that clearly had been used as footballs sometime in the 1970s.....stains on the carpets and walls......a dribble shower.......a TV from the 1980's that constantly flickered and you needed binoculars to watch from the bed......and to top it off a spongy and badly worn out mattress........woohoo what a great hotel.......then the grande finale.....a 6 foot high free standing lamp that leant like the tower of pisa.....and it didn't work!! This wasn't exactly my idea of a 4 star hotel......very very disappointing.....

When I checked out i was keen to inform reception of the faults and maybe share some feedback on my experience....unfortunately neither of the receptionists (I think they were called Hannah and Heather) asked me if I'd had a nice stay......they just ensured I paid up what I owed and went back to their conversation......maybe another hotel policy not to ask guests if they'd had a nice stay as they know they won't get many positive responses.....

Overall, a good rate but a huge letdown for a 4 star hotel.....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your recent email and subsequent correspondence via Tripadvisor.co.uk. Firstly, please allow me to apologise for any delay in response to you. I do hope that you received my out of office at the time of sending your email.

Firstly, please allow me to assure you of our relationship with Hotwire.com. As a merchant, Hotwire often require all of their hotel partners to partake in flash-sales or reduced rates, thus increasing desirability of their own website as well as that of the hotels which partner with it. The allocation of your bedroom is no way affected by the booking method and rooms are allocated on arrival at the hotel; based on availability of clean and vacant rooms upon your arrival.

One of our main reception lifts was placed out of order by staff late on Saturday afternoon and was out of action for approximately 4 hours whilst we awaited external engineers to attend site. Whilst an inconvenience; it was unfortunately a matter that was out of our control at the time. I do hope that the slight wait or use of stairs was not too much of an inconvenience to you for this short period.

Having visited room 538 with my housekeeping Manager, we have been able to investigate your comments with regards to décor and furniture. The freestanding lamp is in working order and is operated via the main bedroom light switches. We have also checked the mattress, which was delivered as part of our new stock less than six months ago. We are unable to determine any wear and tare as described in your email.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the damage to the window. Please accept my sincerest apologies that this was not spotted before you arrived. Our Maintenance team have now been made aware and will act to replace the broken mechanism.

As a company, we encourage both positive and negative guest feedback and actively promote our in house Guest satisfaction survey. A copy of this can be found in each guest bedroom and is forwarded onto the management team who then in turn respond directly to any guest concerns. I agree completely that during check out you should be presented with the opportunity to share your experiences whilst still on site. A Duty Manager is also available 24 hours a day who would be more than happy to take action on your concerns whilst you were still in house. I will speak to the team members involved on your day of departure, to ensure that they are clear on procedures and expectations. This was clearly not the case on your day of departure and for this I wish to extend my personal apologies. I wish to inform you that I have also requested that Tripadvisor contact you regarding the use of personal names in your review on such a public forum. I do hope that you are able to assist in omitting the personal reference of names.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any further concerns and thank you once again for the time that you have taken. Should you wish, and as a token of our appreciation for the time you have taken - I would be happy to offer a complimentary upgrade on your next stay. Please contact me directly so that I can check availability and our most negotiable rates available for your chosen dates.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This is a central hotel and on first seeing our suite we thought we had booked wisely, having a good size bedroom and a large lounge. However, little were we to know of the pitfalls. Firstly, the Jacuzzi bath did not work. We were informed that it had to be turned off due to health and safety!!
It was also a very hot weekend and unbelievably, there is no air conditioning, so we had to open all the windows and then could not sleep because of the all night traffic noise. The following morning we could not use the shower because the thermostatic valve was not working and the water only came out red hot. They were unable to fix this during the day and to be fair, they did offer us another room, but as we were leaving the following morning, we declined. I understand this hotel site is due to be redeveloped. I can only say not before time!

Room Tip: Book another hotel
Dear Guest

Sometimes things do go wrong, but I am happy to see that the team were forward thinking and logical in their approach to trying to resolve your problems with as little disruption to your stay as possible.

Our building is 25 years old and at the time, air con was not built in. We have recently (past few weeks) received stock of free standing air con units which are now available in each guest room. I do hope that on a future stay you are able to benefit from this.

Thank you once again for the time that you have taken.