“Fawlty Towers!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #97 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Fawlty Towers!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed at the Copthorne Hotel for one night on 7/9/12 having booked online and thinking we had got a good deal.

On checking in the reception, lounge and restaurant areas seemed ok. We were given a room on the 3rd floor and we very briefly went to the room to drop our things off and went out. On this first glance we noticed there was a door to the adjoining room in the room. I was a bit concerned as it didn't seem very secure - no key hole just one of them round handles with a catch in the middle that you turn to lock it. However as we were only staying one night I decided not to worry about it.

On returning to our room in the evening, I went to the toilet to find some tissue floating in the water in the toilet which I didn't think was very good. Again I didn't let it be a concern, we also noticed there were lights on each side of the bed but no bedside tables! Just an empty space where they should be.

We decided to pop to a shop for a couple things on the spur of the moment and were glad we did as there was we found out there was a concert going on in Victoria Square. When we went to bed around 11 pm I noticed there were loads of black marks on the walls. The concert was still going on and the noise was very loud as our room was very close to Victoria Square. We tried to sleep but by 11.45 there was no sign of the concert finishing so we decided to ask for a room change. We realise the noise wasn't the hotel's fault but we feel we should have been warned about it was Arts Fest weekend and we had no idea it would be going on,plus the hotel were aware of it. We had spent all day walking around Birmingham but hadn't seen any Arts Fest signs or events. The next day they were all over the place!

By midnight we had moved to a room on the 2nd floor on the opposite side of the hotel. We could still hear the concert but it was no where near as loud so we were able to sleep. This room had better furniture including bedside tables and a better decor but was still badly maintained. The window didn't shut, the door stop was missing which had left unslightly screw holes in the wall and meant the door banged the wall when opened. There was a cupboard which had an ancient TV on top and the door said "Fridge and Tea and Coffee making facilities" however the tea and coffee facilities (no biscuits included) were on the desk opposite, and on opening the cupboard there was no fridge just a big empty space! On the plus side there was no door to the room next door.

While filling in the "satisfaction" survey I noticed what looked like a drawer in the coffee table but on close inspection there was actually a big crack all the way down the rim on the edge of the table which was 4 or 5" in depth.

Breakfast was not offered online but we were asked if we wanted in on checking in. We decided it was too expensive at £8.99 per person. Instead we had a reasonable breakfast at BHS for less than the cost of one breakfast at the hotel.

The location is the only thing the hotel has going for it as the Art Gallery virtually next to it and the Symphony Hall is next to it.

There is no way this hotel should be a 4* hotel. We won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Stay on the road side, I know it sounds daft but if something is going on in Victoria Square it is t...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Charlotte B
Jed W, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback online following your recent stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham City.

I would be grateful if you could please provide me with some more details as to the dates of your stay so that I may investigate your comments relating to the maintenance or housekeeping issues experienced in your bedrooms. I am unable to find any note of these comments made during your stay in addition to the noise complaint.

I have taken action to investigate the noise concerns regarding Victoria Square. Whilst I agree that the hotel will have been in the knowledge that the event was happening, I can confirm that said event was due to finish at 10.30pm on the evening in question. I have copied a link to the events page on Birmingham City council’s website (http://www.artsfest.org.uk/blog/bbc-wm-introducing-artsfest) which clearly outlines the itinerary for the day; with finish times. It is unfortunate that this even had such a negative impact on both your stay and overall feelings towards the hotel.

It seems that we were on the back foot from the start following your disrupted night and it is clear on this occasion we were unable to meet your basic expectations. I do hope that despite your disliking of the decor, that you found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. I can only hope that you are able to offer us the opportunity to change your viewpoint on a returning stay.
Thank you once again for the time you have taken.

Front office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

Plus points: central location (VERY central); car parking on site; efficient staff.
Minus point: ever so slightly faded. I've been staying here on and off since the early 90s, when I think it was built. I remember it being the epitome of style. I am pretty sure the decor hasn't changed since so it is a real tribute to housekeeping and maintenance staff they the rooms don't look awful. Just a bit faded.
But very clean, reasonably priced on websites and central.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your balanced viewpoint, one that is obviously given with insight from a number of years experience with the hotel. I’m sure our Housekeeping Manager will be thrilled with the compliments paid to her team. Hopefully, you have started to see the benefits of our ongoing in house redecoration of our standard bedrooms and corridors.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future. Thank you once again for the time you have taken.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

maybe everyone else writing reviews had a better room than me but mine was very shabby. Chipped paint, scratched furniture and generally well past its best. bath had 2 rusty holes where a had rail had obviously been removed. Decor very tired. much worse than the premier inn where I stayed last time.
good points are that the staff are very friendly and helpful. I got a nose bleed an they brought me ice very quickly and said to contact them if it didn't improve. Staff at the front desk also very pleasant and happy to help. The breakfast was also very nice. Nice towels in the bathroom which seemed new. It is very convenient for the ICC.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I was disappointed to hear of your perceptions of your bedroom and would like to assure you that we are in full swing of our own in house redecorations of our standard bedrooms and public areas. Whilst we are in agreeance that some of our rooms may appear dated, I would hope that they are maintained to a clean and comfortable standard whilst they await their redecoration.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the team and services provided, noting also your enjoyment of breakfast. We do hope to welcome you back soon – let me know before you book and I’ll be sure to allocate an appropriate bedroom to you.

Thank you once again for the time you have taken.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

ideal hotel for visit to Birmingham. Central position but not too noisy. Very helpful & friendly staff. Rooms comfortable. Breakfasts were of good quality and variety.Excellent value overall.

Helped make our stay extra special

Room Tip: Ask for a .quiet room. Make sure you can open the window as can get stuffy!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

It’s always a pleasure to receive such positive comments from a guest and we look forward to welcoming you back real soon. Thank you once again for the time you have taken.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

The hotel is situated in the heart of cultural Birmingham, close to the NIA and ICC. We only stayed for one night to attend a conference but will definately stay there again, in fact, I am already looking at what's on in Birmingham as until now, I was reluctant to travel so far to a concert from the south coast.
The staff were superb, the reception staff were very helpful and attentive, even coming out to carry our cases from the car.
The Staff serving breakfast couldn't do enough for you. There was a reasonable selection of breakfast choices and plenty of tea.
The room was as expected, clean, with the usual amenities. The bathroom did look a bit tired but was fit for purpose.
I would definately recommend this hotel as a perfect base for a weekend stay in Birmingham. Look out for deals on rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I do hope that as a returning guest you have taken advantage of joining our free loyalty scheme? It’s always a pleasure to receive such positive comments – please do let me know next time you book so that I can ensure an appropriate room is allocated to you. Thank you once again for the time you have taken.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

This hotel is either a 10 min walk or 3 min taxi ride from Birmingham New Street rail station. Rooms are a decent size and has all the necessary amenities. I also used the conference facilities which was good.

What stood out about this hotel was the staff. Always attentive & friendly. The service was efficient, as I asked for an iron to be taken up to my room ASAP and the turnaround time was under 5 min. The breakfast team was also fabulous from seating, to bringing my coffee & attending to anything I needed at breakfast & to top it off, the restaurant was very busy in the morning.

One recommendation is to ask for a room away from the main road, especially if you enjoy a sleep in.

Room Tip: as mentioned, as for a room away from the main road
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

It’s great to hear that we are getting the basics right and is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback regarding the team and service – please do let me know next time you book so that I can ensure an appropriate room is allocated to you. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Branston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

To say I was unsure is an understatement... hotels in the centre of Birmingham are never going to thrill me how wrong could I have been excellent location first class service from the moment we arrived reception staff were so polite and helpfull Room was excellent very large and very clean from sheets to the cupboards and the same for the bathroom great :) breakfast was top notch excellent staff superb choice of food from cereal fruit to a full english and endless coffee thank you The Copthorne staff for making my birthday weekend just a little better.we will be seeing you again.

Room Tip: I have no idea about other rooms we were on the 3rd floor right at the end away from the lifts fanta...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

A belated Happy Birthday – I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your special occasion. Make sure to look us up next year! Feel free to contact me for a free upgrade to celebrate another year younger in twelve months time. Thank you once again for your kind comments.