“Pretty good”

Ranked #102 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Pretty good”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I booked a two night stay as a treat for my wife. We had issues with the third party website so ended booking directly with the hotel. Very efficient staff throughout our stay and on one particular occasion went above and beyond. The location of the hotel was superb, right in the centre of town, 10 minutes from New Street railway station and the Bullring shopping centre. The parking was very reasonable at £12 per day and conveniently located beneath the hotel.

Minus points - We didn't eat at the hotel mainly because we prefer to venture out but we would normally have breakfast at the hotel. However at £12.95 per person per day was a little to steep to swallow. There are plenty of eateries nearby open all hours so it was not a major issue for us. The room was kept very clean but as other travellers have stated it is need of a facelift. Our room wasn't bad but it needed some work. This didn't detract from or stay because it was warm, dry and quiet. (it is just a place to lay your head in our opinion).

All in all a value for money break and would stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Tom B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay here at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that the staff looked after you for the duration of your visit and that you took full advantage of the central location of the hotel.

We are delighted to read that you would book the hotel again when you return to Birmingham and I look forward to welcoming you back whenever that might be.

Mat Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Keswick UK
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Delighted by my first experience of this hotel and amazed at the good value - bed and breakfast package at £66 plus £12 car park. The room was clean spacious, comfortable and well serviced, with extra pillows (good quality) and towels in the wardrobe. Although facing the busy highway, sound insulation was excellent. Old fashioned TV didn't bother me.
Even better was what I found downstairs. There's a pleasant bar that's a good meeting place and - the best thing - a Singaporean menu which is authentic and well-stocked. I was happy to stay in and don't think I would have done better to venture out. The price was surprisingly fair, though the wine (a limited list) was very over-priced. There is a small gym but no sauna.
All the staff were genuinely pleasant and helpful. This goes for reception, bar and restaurant staff, all of them keen to be helpful and genuinely welcoming - none of that dutiful "you're welcome - no problem" mechanical mouthing.
Other visitors' comments about need for redecoration presumably becoming irrelevant as the revamp works its way through.
I wouldn't look elsewhere for a Birmingham city centre hotel got business or pleasure - get on to it now before they stop their package prices!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Dear PT167,

Thank you for your comments after your stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and the staff looked after you in all areas of the hotel. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed the delights of both our bar and our Bugis Street Brasserie.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed there earlier this week for work, I wasn't expecting much and I was still let down.

I'd read reviews of it being dated but still wasn't expecting peeling paint, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and bits on the carpet.

It was impossible to connect to the wifi which impacted the work I could get done, there was no heat control in the room other than opening the window (not useful when it's -5 outside and you want to warm up) and while the doors shut, they fit very badly in the frame, so when people are talking in the corridor, it's like they're next to your bed.

The bed was comfy. But it creaked. A lot.

One star is for the bed (I did get a reasonable night of sleep although that may have been related to the extensive travelling), the other is for the 'fitness suite' having a rowing machine. But overall, I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank _LisaK_186225
Dear _LisaK_186225,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the visit that you had with us and I will certainly action some of the points that you raised.

I do hope that you return to us in the near future so that we can have a chance to show you our usual high standards.

Mat Williams

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

leiston
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The hotel is well located with parking underneath in a rather strange area with some badly cared for steps up to hotel, we did not see a lift. The staff were both friendly and helpful and took time and trouble to find a room with twin beds for us. Nothing too much trouble. Rooms old and dated now, paper hanging off walls, threadbare carpet etc and bathroom although well cleaned very
old and tatty. Good value for our break as we got a very good deal but would have been annoyed to have paid a lot for this hotel. Staff at breakfast very charming and helpful, toaster didn;t work which was annoying but excellent selection of food to chose from.

Room Tip: We were given a room on the back of the hotel which was at the back of a club and very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Dear elvislivesagain,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I was pleased to read that the staff looked after you and that you were pleased with all of the service aspects of the hotel.

We are in a process of redecorating all of our bedrooms. I hope that you return in the future when we have completed these works so that you can witness the change first hand.

Midlands
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed here as a couple for one night as it was close to the German xmas market we were planning on visiting.

Overall the stay was pleasant especially as the price was very good. The staff were welcoming and polite and the hotel was clean.

A major plus to the hotel is the Chinese resturant within the hotel, which served some very tasty food at a good price, and the staff here were fantastic.

The hotel is very conveniently situated if you do plan to visit the centre of Birmnigham. Its down side is that in places its a little rough around the edges and certainly requires a bit of an overhaul.

I would stay here agian, but for convenience but not because the hotel was outstanding.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear england1966,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent visit to the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff polite and the hotel clean. It was also great to read that you made use and enjoyed our Bugis Street Brasserie.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I was very impressed by the look of the hotel based on the website and photo gallery, but the hotel interior looks very tired. Personally, I don't think the look and feel of the place is of 4* standard: dark red and cream walls, very dark wood and a very dated looking carpet don't create a 4* impression, particularly as the walls appear to have been painted and repainted a number of times, without stripping off the old paint. Even the sealant used in the dated looking bathroom in my room looked tired, as if layer after layer has simply been applied when required (without removing old layers). The tv in my room was such an old model the numbers on the remote control were worn away, and the tv had to 'load' for a few minutes (you stare at an image of an hour glass) when I turned it on. Having stayed in other 4* hotels, I don't think the Copthorne is up to standard on this front.

Having said that, the hotel was perfectly clean - my room was spotless. The bed was really comfortable and breakfast was good. And the staff were all really friendly and helpful, so in all other aspects this is a 4* hotel.

Would I stay again? I'm not sure: I suspect other 4* stars in the area offer the same quality of service, but the decor (and tv!) would be a bit more modern and impressive!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Julian C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I am glad that you found the hotel and your room to be spotless and that the staff looked after your needs.

We are in a process of redecorating all of our bedrooms and hope that you will return in the future and stay in one of these rooms.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This Hotel is an ideal place to stay if you want to explore Birmingham or have business in the City. The Hotel is clean, the staff are very friendly and the Mat Williams who is the General Manager will go out of his way to ensure you will have a pleasant stay. The food is great and the breakfast dining room is light and well laid out. I stayed over the Christmas period with my wife and friends and we all throughly enjoyed staying at this Hotel. Well done Mat, keep up the good work.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear Edgington,

Thank you very much for your kind comments after your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I am delighted that you and your friends had such an enjoyable visit and that we made such a positive impression.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham in the near future.