“Tired hotel”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I am sure that this was a state of the art hotel back in the 80s but the whole building is tired and in need of a serious refurbishment. The staff were very accommodating and helpful and if it wasn't for them I would give the hotel 1 star.
Good points: staff, location (if you are prepared to run the gauntlet of the subway or main road)
Bad points: broken tv, slow interweb, noisy, very tired gym, cracked sink an bath tiles, noisy AC, room smelt of smoke.

Thought I got a good deal through late rooms, but wish I'd stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear Spaciecadet,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit with us. We are in the process of redecorating all of our bedrooms. We hope that you return so that we can show you the results of our efforts.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

I was really impressed with this hotel, friendly staff. Clean. comfortable. quiet. great location. it had everything we needed for our stay. the rooms were spacious and warm. and for a very small price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Dawn B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stayed in the Copthorne again whilst on business in Birmingham and yet again, it has exceeded my expectations. Great rooms, nice and comfy and got a really sound night's sleep and given the location of the hotel in the centre of Birmingham, well it's clearly obvious that your stay will be restful and relaxing. It is very easy to find by car or on foot and the car park is underneath the hotel which makes life very simple and uncomplicated. I didn't eat there but there's a good selection of drinks at the bar and the hotel has got a really nice and welcoming atmosphere. I would not hesitate in staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear Nickerty,

Thank you for taking the timee to leave your comments after your recent stay with us the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room and took full advantage of our central location.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

I booked a two night stay as a treat for my wife. We had issues with the third party website so ended booking directly with the hotel. Very efficient staff throughout our stay and on one particular occasion went above and beyond. The location of the hotel was superb, right in the centre of town, 10 minutes from New Street railway station and the Bullring shopping centre. The parking was very reasonable at £12 per day and conveniently located beneath the hotel.

Minus points - We didn't eat at the hotel mainly because we prefer to venture out but we would normally have breakfast at the hotel. However at £12.95 per person per day was a little to steep to swallow. There are plenty of eateries nearby open all hours so it was not a major issue for us. The room was kept very clean but as other travellers have stated it is need of a facelift. Our room wasn't bad but it needed some work. This didn't detract from or stay because it was warm, dry and quiet. (it is just a place to lay your head in our opinion).

All in all a value for money break and would stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Tom B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay here at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that the staff looked after you for the duration of your visit and that you took full advantage of the central location of the hotel.

We are delighted to read that you would book the hotel again when you return to Birmingham and I look forward to welcoming you back whenever that might be.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Delighted by my first experience of this hotel and amazed at the good value - bed and breakfast package at £66 plus £12 car park. The room was clean spacious, comfortable and well serviced, with extra pillows (good quality) and towels in the wardrobe. Although facing the busy highway, sound insulation was excellent. Old fashioned TV didn't bother me.
Even better was what I found downstairs. There's a pleasant bar that's a good meeting place and - the best thing - a Singaporean menu which is authentic and well-stocked. I was happy to stay in and don't think I would have done better to venture out. The price was surprisingly fair, though the wine (a limited list) was very over-priced. There is a small gym but no sauna.
All the staff were genuinely pleasant and helpful. This goes for reception, bar and restaurant staff, all of them keen to be helpful and genuinely welcoming - none of that dutiful "you're welcome - no problem" mechanical mouthing.
Other visitors' comments about need for redecoration presumably becoming irrelevant as the revamp works its way through.
I wouldn't look elsewhere for a Birmingham city centre hotel got business or pleasure - get on to it now before they stop their package prices!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Dear PT167,

Thank you for your comments after your stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and the staff looked after you in all areas of the hotel. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed the delights of both our bar and our Bugis Street Brasserie.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed there earlier this week for work, I wasn't expecting much and I was still let down.

I'd read reviews of it being dated but still wasn't expecting peeling paint, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and bits on the carpet.

It was impossible to connect to the wifi which impacted the work I could get done, there was no heat control in the room other than opening the window (not useful when it's -5 outside and you want to warm up) and while the doors shut, they fit very badly in the frame, so when people are talking in the corridor, it's like they're next to your bed.

The bed was comfy. But it creaked. A lot.

One star is for the bed (I did get a reasonable night of sleep although that may have been related to the extensive travelling), the other is for the 'fitness suite' having a rowing machine. But overall, I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank _LisaK_186225

Dear _LisaK_186225,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the visit that you had with us and I will certainly action some of the points that you raised.

I do hope that you return to us in the near future so that we can have a chance to show you our usual high standards.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

The hotel is well located with parking underneath in a rather strange area with some badly cared for steps up to hotel, we did not see a lift. The staff were both friendly and helpful and took time and trouble to find a room with twin beds for us. Nothing too much trouble. Rooms old and dated now, paper hanging off walls, threadbare carpet etc and bathroom although well cleaned very
old and tatty. Good value for our break as we got a very good deal but would have been annoyed to have paid a lot for this hotel. Staff at breakfast very charming and helpful, toaster didn;t work which was annoying but excellent selection of food to chose from.

Room Tip: We were given a room on the back of the hotel which was at the back of a club and very noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear elvislivesagain,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I was pleased to read that the staff looked after you and that you were pleased with all of the service aspects of the hotel.

We are in a process of redecorating all of our bedrooms. I hope that you return in the future when we have completed these works so that you can witness the change first hand.