“The Good, The Bad & The Ugly” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #97 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“The Good, The Bad & The Ugly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

THE GOOD...

The hotel is very conveniently situated, being just a few minutes walk from New Street Station.

The room rate I paid was very reasonable.

Although it’s right by a busy main road, the sound-proofing is excellent.

THE BAD...

The room’s decor was tired and drab.

There was only one towel for two of us to share.

The bed was hard and uncomfortable.

I ordered a newspaper, but it never arrived.

You have to pay for wi-fi – not something you’d expect from a four-star hotel these days.

THE UGLY...

When did you last see a cathrode ray tube TV? When did you last see one in the “deluxe double” room of a four-star hotel?

Pictures on most UK channels are transmitted in 16:9 widescreen format, but on this telly they were all squashed to fit the 4:3 screen.

The hotel could easily buy a new TV for the cost of one night’s room let, so this is just unacceptable.

Cleanliness
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear VictorV,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay.

We are in the process of redecorating our bedrooms and I am sorry that it appears as if you did not get allocated one of these rooms on your visit.

Our company are in the process of reveiwing the TV's in all of our properties and we expect some immenent changes.

I do hope that you return to the hotel so that we can show you the changes that we have made.

Mat Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

i had saw pics on T.A and was not looking forward to stayin her one bit ( i even brought my own throw for the bed) but i had to as i was attedning a work event in the hotel confernce centre, i was pleasently suprised- big spacious rooms and clean- walls are thin and can hear noise but if your here for one night and get a good deal- then i would go for it!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear GT2007,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the experience and found the cleanliness to our usual high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel if you return to Birmingham.

Genral Manager
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed here for two nights and found the communal areas spick and span.
My room was on the 4th floor and although immaculate the room was very dull and dreary. The furniture did not have a 'finished' look. Very tired and worn. The bathroom also had worn look from the perished grouting around the washbasin. The bathtowels were too high for me to reach!!
The bed was wonderful, so comfortable and lovely pillows. I slept really well. Noise was a problem on Friday night with a lot of rowdiness in the early hours. My window was closed but somehow the noise filtered through.
I had plenty of sockets for hair dryers, straighteners, kettles etc. It was lovely to be able to have a kettle that had a decent length of cable and able to pour hot water without risking permanent scarring. Disappointed that there were no biscuits provided with the tea/coffee tray.
Breakfast was the usual buffet affair as in most hotels. The first day I poured out some orange juice to find it was orange squash. I mentioned this to the server who offered an alternative juice and apologies. Scrambled egg on the first day was lovely but on the second day I found it to be floating in water which was not at all appetising.
Apart from my previous comments I found the staff to be efficient , helpful and friendly.

Swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

I take the points made by other users re decor etc. however as an experience goes ,,I personally enjoyed myself.

The food in the Chinese restaurant was the best I have tasted for years . The Restaurant Manager was exceptionally accomodating.

The General Hotel Manager is a credit to the hotel group . We had some noise issues with other guests ( which were nothing to do with the hotel ) He resolved it within 10 minutes of being contacted.

Comfy beds . Clean . For the price and location , you cannot argue with it.

A good nights sleep

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Dear Nick M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us at the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and sampled the delights in our Bugis Street Brasserie.

I was sorry to read that you were disturbed by some noisy people but glad to read that we resolved the issue for you.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dudley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed at this hotel a few times now and nothing ever changes. We had a great comfy stay. From arrival Phil was pleasant, Friendly & helpful, Just what you expect for a 4 star hotel. We were allocated room 211 & my friends room 222. The rooms were very clean, when i opened the kettle to fill it up it was sparkling !! the cleanest kettle i have seen in any hotel. The bed was very comfortable and there was spare pillows in the wardrobe. The rooms have an adjustable radiator and also windows that you can open. The shower was very powerful, but if you dont like powerful showers don't turn it up as much !
The Bar was nice & clean but did lack staff at a few points resulting in a little wait to be served, on this stay we only had drinks so can't comment on the food again, But they do have Bugis street for lunch and dinner & also a Bar menu that runs all day (a Burger and Chips is £12.95 & a pint of Gaymers is £4.00).
Check out was simple and quick to say we left at 12pm and again the staff member was friendly. If you dont want to take your bags whilst you do something after check-out, then reception will look after your bags.
Thanks again for another enjoyable stay, we will be back soon !!

Room Tip: 211 is at the end of the corridor and only has 1 neighbour !
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Gavp1990,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you are a regular visitor with us and we continue to meet your expectations and that you enjoy your stays.

I will make sure that the staff are passed on your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed here for two nights as part of a corporate booking. Relatively straightforward to find on foot from the station, although some of my colleagues had issues. Public areas were in good order. However my room on the 4th floor was definitely tired - cracks in the plaster, scratched furniture and perished grouting in the bathroom. Saying that it was all spotlessly clean. I managed to work out how to turn off the radiator but the room was still baking. The only usable socket was behind a unit which housed the TV and kettle tray. After grovelling on the floor to charge my phone and struggling to see a mirror when I was drying my hair, I asked for an extension lead which appeared within 5 minutes. Breakfast and room service were fine, as you would expect. The staff were very friendly and helpful, although apparently they don't give credit card receipts which I find a bit odd. Overall a bit average.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Devonvillamaid,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review after your recent stay with us.

We are in the process of redecorating our entire bedroom stock. I am glad to read that you found the cleanliness level of your room more than up to standard.

I do hope that you return to the hotel so that we can show you the decoration that we have undertaken.

Many thanks

Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

We booked into the Copthorne for the night as me, my partner and our 2 friends had tickets to see Rocky Horror.
Check in was simple, the staff are very friendly and very helpful. Phil on the front desk was very efficient.
As my partner works for the Millennium Copthorne Group we've stayed in a few of the hotels. Copthorne Birmingham, Copthorne Tara and Millennium Mayfair and I have to say that I think Copthorne Birmingham is the friendliest and it certainly has the most comfortable beds!!! We've stopped here a number of times now and every time I've wanted to take the bed home with me.
Looking forward to the next time, no doubt that it won't be too long before we're here again!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Jonnyc1983,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you are a regular user of both the hotel and M&C Hotels as a group.

We replaced the beds in 2012 and we receive many positive comments regarding them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.