“City centre great value”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Paisley, United Kingdom
“City centre great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is a superbly located city centre hotel and its hard to fault. If you have to look for negatives there's no air con and it is by a busy road. However there are fan towers in the club rooms - not sure re standards - and the double glazed windows do open/keep most noise out if shut

I was upgradad to a club and it has all you need plus a really efficient and powerful shower

Breakfast is very good - fruit juices, fresh and dried fruit/nuts, porridge and cereals, breads and croissans and a v full english with eggs beans sausage tomato mushrooms potato and black pud. Also kippers haddock or smoked salmon if wanted. Eggs can be done scrambled, fried or omelette

For dinner there's a malaysian restaurant in the hotel which is also good and great value I had a room service dinner as I was tired which wasn't gt cuisine - chicken and chips - but v filling and adequate

This hotel is ezcellent value and for a little extra I think a club room may be worth it for a really comfortable stay

Service was v good throughout with friendly staff and if you need a taxi it cones in seconds or minutes. For the centre or new st its close enough to walk so you'd only need a taxi for further afield. If you get a cab to the airport its about £27

• Stayed August 2013
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear nellScotlandWest

What great feedback, thank you so much. I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found it great value. For clarity, we have tower fans in all our bedrooms, not just our Club Rooms.

I will be sharing your lovely comments regarding service with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed here during June on way to parents house. Location is pretty good and close to main shopping on New Street. However, this looks like to is about time for an update. Dirty in places and the breakfast was very average. There are better choices in Birmingham so I suggest looking for deals. This was ok for a night sleeping.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart294265
Dear Sturat294265

Thankyou for your feedback, We are in the process of redocorating our bedrooms and as part of this have just installed flatscreen TV's. I was dissappointed to hear you felt our breakfast was only average as we normally get some great feedback on this.

I do hope, on your next visit to Birmingham, you give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Although a little hard to find for someone not knowing the area, the Copthorne is well located and close enough to walk to New Street station, The Bull Ring etc.

From the outside the hotel doesn't look the best. Slightly weathered exterior and dated styling did make us briefly question our choice of hotel but you step back into the 21st century once inside.

The room had everything you'd expect from a 4* and was very clean. Due to the recent hot weather there was an standalone AC unit which worked well, and wasn't too noisy (we had it on all night). There were a few small maintaince issues with peeling wallpaper and a cracked bathroom tile but nothing that affected our stay in the slightest. The decor could also do with a bit of an update but these are both minor niggles.

We were impressed that housekeeping serviced our room despite us vacating it after 2pm one day- even though we didn't mention anything in person.

Whilst the Copthorne certainly isn't the best hotel we have stayed in, based on our experience, I don't think it deserves some of the lower ranked reviews it has received on here. I would definitely consider staying here again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2013
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear B9X

What a fantastic review, thank you so much. I am pleased to here you enjoyed your stay and trip to Birmingham. Our Housekeeping team are onsite until 6pm everyday so we do make sure all rooms are serviced and like to do this at a time convenient to all our guests.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked this hotel at the las minute and really wish I'd stayed at the Travelodge. The room was dated, stained and in desperate need of a makeover. Can't believe they tout themselves as 4 star.
the staff were helpful and the problems we had with our tv were resolved promptly, but seriously Copthorne, you're in such a great location, please modernise your rooms!

Really disappointed with the room. We were looking forward to a night in watching tv and ordering room service but couldn't face staying in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Dee1978

Many thanks for your review and I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations during your visit. We are in the process of redocorating our bedrooms and as part of this, have just had new flat screen televisions installed. There have been a few teething problems but I am pleased to hear the team resolved them for you quickly.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

David Lane

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Moscow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

A very centrally located hotel, and its location is its principal attraction. I booked a week at Copthorne because my first-choice hotel didn’t have any vacancies for my time bracket, and I was looking for a centrally located hotel. It’s three minutes to the Museum and Art Gallery (highly recommended), ten minutes to New Street Station and about twenty minutes to Moor Street Station.

The rooms are a standard affair, everything you expect from a hotel of that class. Some items are found in unexpected places, for instance, I found the hair dryer in a desk drawer, but all the requisite amenities are there. However, I don’t recommend staying at this hotel during a heat wave like I did. The lobby is pleasantly air-conditioned (I wonder about the management’s offices), but the most you can count on in your room is a fan, and to benefit from it, you have to position yourself directly in the line of the air flow. I tried asking for an air-conditioned room, it was so hard to breathe in mine I was ready to pay extra for the privilege of not feeling groggy all day long, but I was told the hotel had no air-conditioned rooms. I wouldn’t recommend opening the windows for the night either, at least not if your room overlooks the Paradise Forum as mine did. The hotel power unit, or whatever that is, is located there, and it emits steady, industrial-strength noise, and round the clock, too, loud enough to drown out the TV.

The staff at reception are very, very nice and helpful, but good luck getting anything out of the housekeeping people. Notes left with them via reception, attempts to explain your problem directly to the person tidying your room produce absolutely zero results.

The hotel also has a restaurant with Singapore/Malaysian cuisine, and it’s nice and moderately priced compared to the restaurants in the city. Yes, I know, hard to believe it can happen in a hotel, but there you go. However, if you want to have breakfast at the hotel, you have to pay extra, so they still get their money from you in the morning, even if you pay less in the evening. Then again, Paradise Forum is full of little cafes, so you can go there.

The Internet access comes at the additional charge of 5 pounds for 24 hours, and it’s a bit ridiculous when cheaper hotels offer it for free.

Oh, and their vacuum cleaners are called Henry (written on top in large letters), and they have faces on them, smiling shyly. Very nice and friendly-looking vacuum cleaners.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Kriemhild

Thank you so much for your review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. Whilst our bedrooms or management offices do not enjoy the benefits of air conditioning, we do everything we can to ensure the rooms remain cool during very hot weather.

Thank you for your great comments about Bugis Street which I will be sharing with the team. With regards to breakfast, we offer both Room Only and Bed & Breakfast rates at the hotel to provide our guests with the best value for money depending on their circumstances.

I have spoken to my reception and housekeeping team to ensure messages are passed on and I extend my apologies for this. I will pass your regards on to Henry the Hoover!!

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

The hotel is right in the centre of Birmingham so good access for bars and shops etc. The common areas are nice and well decorated but the rooms are quite tired and also in need of air conditioning. I was provided with a tower fan but in that heat it really wasn't enough and I didn't sleep well at all. Breakfast was great and the staff helpful, I arrived late so didn't have dinner. Be advised - be very careful when you park. The hotel parking is either a scrap of land next oposite the hotel, which arriving in the dark or at dusk like I did looks like derelict land closed off with a barrier or there is also parking under the hotel. Being a female travelling alone, I didn't fancy the underground car park after dark and there were some other spaces facing me when I turned in so I parked there. These however belong to Europarks and it cost me £60 in the morning! Ultimately I know this was my fault but I asked at reception if they didn't think they should make sure with guests that they had parked in a hotel space (as most hotels with shared parking do) and was advised that it was not policy to do this. Also, the time on the Europarks ticked was 2 minutes after I left the car. They must have been watching and instead of a bit of good PR "excuse me madam you are obviously going to the hotel, did you realise that this is not one of their spaces" they waited until the hotel door closed behind me and slapped a ticket on my car. I was very disappointed with the hotel's attitude to this, surely they must have some sort of relationship with Europarks or they should check with guests (especially those arriving after dusk) where they have parked?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AKA_Wiccan
Dear AKA_Wiccan

Many thanks for your review and I am sorry to hear you recieved a parking ticket outside the hotel. Unfortunately, we are unable to reverse any tickets which are given in these spaces and I am unable to comment on Europarks policies.

As you mentioned, we do have 2 car parks at the hotel, one directly opposite and the other underneath the hotel. Both are covered by CCTV and well lit using motion sensitive lights.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Provided you get a good deal this is an ideal hotel for a short stay. It is not as plush as some of the hotels in the Millennium chain but it is ok for the price, and is centrally located. The hotel is a bit tired and dated but I found the rooms to be clean and the staff friendly and helpful, classic case of you get what you pay for.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear colin r

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to hear you felt your stay represented good value for money, something we pride ourselves in offering.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.