“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Coseley, null, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I booked a room for 2 people and i have to say that it was the best hotel i have been to the room was gorgeous and was well presented and very spacious. The staff were very polite and have very good manners. we was in the room by the main road and we fell straight asleep and the sound proof windows are a brilliant idea because we didn't here any due to the windows. The reception, bar and the restaurant was very nice and and the design was the same all round the hotel which is consistent and in my opinion i would recommend this hotel to anyone and i don't know where the bad reviews have come from

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Jordan S

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for posting a review. I will be sharing your lovely comments about the team with them and we all hope to welcome you back very soon.

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Bristol
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed here in May for work. I was a bit concerned when my company booked it as I had stayed at the hotel in 2003 and it was in need of a refirb then. I entered my double room to find it was the same as 10 years ago... it was like going back in time. The décor is terrible, lots of marks and stains on the wall, lighting was dim, bed was lumpy and dipped in the middle. The bathroom was stepping back into the 80's and when you turned on the cold tap there was loud knocking noise coming from the pipes. The room was hot but managed to open the window for an inch of fresh Birmingham air. How this hotel gets a 4 star I just don't know. Buffet breakfast was poor as well - I don't know how you can mess up breakfast but they did.
The good points - not many but it was clean, had tea and coffee and I had to stay just one night..... that's it I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Spend £10 more and book into any other hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sam5933

Thank you for your review and I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations on your last visit.

Since you stayed in May we have continued with our bedroom redecoration programme and as part of this have installed flatscreen TV's throughout the hotel. We have also replaced a number of beds within the hotel and done considerable work on our breakfast offering and service.

I hope, if you stay again, you will be able to see these changes in action.

David Lane

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

UK
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed here 19th August 2013.

We chose the Copthorne Birmingham to break up the journey home from Devon having stayed several times at the one in Sheffield, which is excellent.

The journey in was difficult due to the current roadworks in Birmingham but having arrived were pleased with the location.

The reception area of the hotel is very nice and the reception staff efficient and precise if not overly welcoming.

Room - The room and bathroom were a surprise, having used the chain before, in that it was a little shabby and in need of some redecoration with cracked floor tiles, chipped covering on the sink and marks on the wallpaper. The bathroom in particular is ready for some attention as it looks dated and well used. Having said that, it was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the room had a desk/dressing table, chair and table. Extra pillows can be found in the wardrobe with an iron and board. It is hot in the room, which has been mentioned several times, but opening the window makes it noisy so the provided fan is a must.

The corridor carpets are holey and, in places, held down with duct tape.

Food - Breakfast was a standard hot and cold buffet and a decent start to the day. The evening restaurant serves either bar meals or a Singaporean/Malaysian/Chinese menu which does limit you slightly if you're either not fond of oriental cuisine or you don't fancy it. We chose to eat in the restaurant and enjoyed it. The waiting staff are lovely in the evening and each dish was explained to us, recommendations made and each course very nice. The staff made the meal as enjoyable as it was.

The hotel does have a car park, either underground or on a piece of ground outside which is poorly maintained. Be prepared to pay £12 per night whichever option you choose.

To sum up, I think having stayed only in the Sheffield Copthorne previously we had been spoiled and were expecting far more than we found considering the 4 star rating. I wouldn't be in any hurry to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear MrsC73

Thank you so much for such an informative and helpful review which I will discuss with my management team. We are in the process of redecorating our rooms which I am sure will resolve the issues you highlighted. My apologies for the increase in traffic at the moment, the A38 tunnels are due to reopen during the first week of september, I think to the relief of everyone in Birmingham.

I will pass on your excellent feedback regarding the service in Bugis Street to the team.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next on your travels.

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I am into the third week of a 6 week stay here at the Copthorne and I'm starting to dread coming back each week. Don't get me wrong, as a hotel there's a lot to recommend it; it's central, very clean if a little dated and as comfortable as any 4 star hotel I've stayed in. But hellfire is it noisy!!! My first two weeks were in rooms in the front of the hotel and they were quiet by comparison to the one I was given this week. The rooms at the back of the hotel overlook Paradise Circus........and an air conditioning system, which as other reviewers have pointed out is not the air con for this hotel as they don't have one! At 4am this morning, after sleeping for only 2 hours on and off due to the incessant noise, I called reception and they very kindly moved my room. There's nothing wrong with the service, I can't fault that. They also very kindly upgraded me to a club room as there are no vacancies apart from in the rooms at the back of the hotel, all of which overlook the very loud air con units. I don't want to appear ungrateful, but the room I'm now in overlooks a busy road and the soundproofing is not excellent. Needless to say I'm still not asleep and as it's now nearly 7am, I've given up trying and will go to work on just 2 hours sleep. I've also learned to bring my own pillow from home as the ones here are flat and hard. I really do want to like this hotel as the staff have been incredibly friendly and helpful over the past few weeks, but I have to say that it would not be my first choice if I was making my own bookings. Sorry!

By the way, the shower curtain in the first room I was given, 439, smells really badly of damp and was very noticeable the moment I walked in. I'm surprised housekeeping haven't reported it by now.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel and NOT at the back, but wait until I've finished my wo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear txacoli12

Firstly, thank you so much for your great comments regarding the service here at the hotel, however, Im a little concerned that you arent getting a good nights sleep. If you contact me directly at the hotel I am sure we can find quite room for you and make your stay much more enjoyable.

I look forward to meeting you soon

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is a superbly located city centre hotel and its hard to fault. If you have to look for negatives there's no air con and it is by a busy road. However there are fan towers in the club rooms - not sure re standards - and the double glazed windows do open/keep most noise out if shut

I was upgradad to a club and it has all you need plus a really efficient and powerful shower

Breakfast is very good - fruit juices, fresh and dried fruit/nuts, porridge and cereals, breads and croissans and a v full english with eggs beans sausage tomato mushrooms potato and black pud. Also kippers haddock or smoked salmon if wanted. Eggs can be done scrambled, fried or omelette

For dinner there's a malaysian restaurant in the hotel which is also good and great value I had a room service dinner as I was tired which wasn't gt cuisine - chicken and chips - but v filling and adequate

This hotel is ezcellent value and for a little extra I think a club room may be worth it for a really comfortable stay

Service was v good throughout with friendly staff and if you need a taxi it cones in seconds or minutes. For the centre or new st its close enough to walk so you'd only need a taxi for further afield. If you get a cab to the airport its about £27

• Stayed August 2013
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear nellScotlandWest

What great feedback, thank you so much. I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found it great value. For clarity, we have tower fans in all our bedrooms, not just our Club Rooms.

I will be sharing your lovely comments regarding service with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed here during June on way to parents house. Location is pretty good and close to main shopping on New Street. However, this looks like to is about time for an update. Dirty in places and the breakfast was very average. There are better choices in Birmingham so I suggest looking for deals. This was ok for a night sleeping.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart294265
Dear Sturat294265

Thankyou for your feedback, We are in the process of redocorating our bedrooms and as part of this have just installed flatscreen TV's. I was dissappointed to hear you felt our breakfast was only average as we normally get some great feedback on this.

I do hope, on your next visit to Birmingham, you give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Although a little hard to find for someone not knowing the area, the Copthorne is well located and close enough to walk to New Street station, The Bull Ring etc.

From the outside the hotel doesn't look the best. Slightly weathered exterior and dated styling did make us briefly question our choice of hotel but you step back into the 21st century once inside.

The room had everything you'd expect from a 4* and was very clean. Due to the recent hot weather there was an standalone AC unit which worked well, and wasn't too noisy (we had it on all night). There were a few small maintaince issues with peeling wallpaper and a cracked bathroom tile but nothing that affected our stay in the slightest. The decor could also do with a bit of an update but these are both minor niggles.

We were impressed that housekeeping serviced our room despite us vacating it after 2pm one day- even though we didn't mention anything in person.

Whilst the Copthorne certainly isn't the best hotel we have stayed in, based on our experience, I don't think it deserves some of the lower ranked reviews it has received on here. I would definitely consider staying here again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2013
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear B9X

What a fantastic review, thank you so much. I am pleased to here you enjoyed your stay and trip to Birmingham. Our Housekeeping team are onsite until 6pm everyday so we do make sure all rooms are serviced and like to do this at a time convenient to all our guests.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.