“Central for the city”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

5 minutes walk from New Street station. Close to most things - business and leisure. Central equates to traffic volume and noise - good double plus glazing but fresh air difficult to get. Very good breakfast

• Stayed: October 2013
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Tim B

Many thanks for your review and indeed we are very central for the ICC, NIA and Bullring. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed breakfast and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We visited the Hotel for a meeting 29th October and was advised at reception there was no meeting booked.We showed the newspaper advertisement which showed the event in the Birmingham Mail 17th October and after checking the receptionist found the three candiates waiting for lunch in the bar

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear kristanageorge

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and my apologies for the confusion when you arrived at the hotel. This was due to the company holding the meeting not advising us that they had advertised under a different name. I am glad to hear we found your colleagues and you could have your meeting.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a couple of hotels in and around Birmingham in the last six months on business some bad most good.

This hotel was disgusting got there late afternoon check in was straight forward all well so far untill the mouldy lift took me to my floor. As i got the room the stench of stale smoke almost took me out that was before i opened the door..

Got in there to what i can only descibe a freaky 60s theme? The wallpaper was tacky as can be. The bathroom was a sight not to mention the grubby bath toilet etc

i went to go get dinner and came back in the evening i just went straight to sleep or did i... most of the night consisted of an arguing couple in the next room and drunk people running around in the hallway

All in all a complete s*it tip

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Lucy19900

Many thanks for your review. The hotel is completely non smoking and we do make every effort to address any guest who chooses to ignore this policy. I am sorry that you were disturbed overnight, whilst my team do try to minimise any disturbance from other guests, I am sure you can understand the difficulties they face with this.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights b&b and was charged over £200 per night and it was the worst value accomodation I have endured/experienced in the last 10 years. The room I had was shabby and dated and I got a blanket from the car to cover up the headboard which looked filthy although i accept that it may have just been faded and shabby.There was a jazz club at the back of this hotel near to my room and the noise went on until very late which was not ideal as I had early starts. I asked about moving room but this could not be accommodated as the hotel was busy. On day two I was advised that some rooms had been refurbished but not all and the staff seems embarrassed about the state of the hotel with knowing looks exchanged when I commented on the tired and grubby looking fixtures and fittings.
On a positive note it is well situated, the staff in the bars, restaurant and front desk are very helpful and really do try to deliver a great service in this tired and dated hotel.

What is most annoying is that I left a letter of complaint at the front desk and over three weeks later have heard nothing from the management team it was addressed to.
Perhaps if you can pick up a room for £50 on late rooms the standards may be acceptable but I would certainly not recommend the places although if staying close and like asian food the restaurant offers good value and service.

Room Tip: Avoid being near the jazz club if you need some sleep although the music sounded good!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear meadowsb

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you have not had a response. Please contact me at the hotel directly as I would like to discuss this with you further.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

A very central location which meant we could walk everywhere. Staff were mostly helpful. But the rooms are shabby and poorly planned. Everything needs to be replaced, the décor is 80's ( at best). Bed was uncomfortable. Watching TV from the sofa was impossible as the room was so poorly designed.
As breakfast is served in the Chinese restaurant you need a strong stomach to tolerate the smell of soy sauce in the morning. But the breakfast was of such poor quality ( although generous) that I suggest you save some money and go to the shopping centre right next door where there are plenty of chain restaurants for less money.
In room Wi-Fi was £5 for 24 hours but a weak signal and very frustrating, but they omitted to tell us that the code expired at midnight so early morning attempts to sign on were fruitless. Surely 24 hours means from the time you check in to the time you check out?

Room Tip: with so many new hotels close by I suggest you book elsewhere and walk the extra five minutes.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Economistmum

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry you were dissappointed with your stay. We are in the process of redocorating our rooms and I hope in the future you will see the changes.

I was suprised to read your comments regarding breakfast and I will address this with my Chef as we normally get some very good comments about this.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night as I was attending a meeting and was very disappointed , the room was dated, with poor or badly placed lighting. Once in bed, it was difficult for me to reach the bedside light switch and I was afraid of falling out of the bed when stretching to reach. In all fairness the staff were excellent and the food was good. The room service was lacking as when I arrived I was soaked through and too tired to sit alone in the dining room so ordered a meal which was quite expensive as meals go but enjoyable but can you imagine eating a rather large portion of beer battered haddock and chunky chips with a knife and a desert spoon ? I was too tired to phone down to request a fork. The hotel was conveniently situated . I did not book this hotel myself and did complain to the people that booked it. It was also very noisy both inside and out. I can honestly say this is the worst stay I have ever had. .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Chris91_11

Many thanks for your review I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay. My apologies for not provideing the correct cutlery for your room service meal which was human error and I have asked my Food and Beverage Manager to ensure room service trays are double checked before each evening.

Thankyou for your kind words regarding the team here and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

A group of us stayed here for a hen night. After reading the reviews, I wasn't expecting too much. The hotel was great! The staff were friendly and helpful. Special mention to Joe who dealt with the hen party extremely well and was also very polite! I was upgraded to a club room at no extra cost. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. I also visited my friends rooms which again were clean, spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was buffet style and very nice. I would definitely stay here again. A great central location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Cat S

Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Joe is an absolute star and I am pleased to hear he looked after you all at the bar.

I hope we can welcome you all back very soon