“Expensive & Terrible”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 9 November 2013

If you like holes in carpets - stay here
If you like seeing wallpaper hanging off the walls - stay here
If you like a room so hot you can't breath - stay here
If you like paying over the odds for hotel that is not a 4 star hotel.

If however you prefer to have a nice experience, then please stay somewhere. Pound for Pound this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Had I paid £30 per night instead of £130 per night then my views would have been different because I turned up here expecting something completely different and will never trust the Copthorne brand again

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MrConnisSir
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Mr ConnisSir

Thank you for your review and I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations. We are in the process of purchasing some new carpets for our rooms and our ongoing redecoration programme continues. All of our rooms are heated via radiators which are indivdually adjustable.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a real let down. From the moment we arrived and were told we would have to pay £12 to park our car this wasnt mentioned on the website only that they had a car park. We then went to our room which like many others had said in reviews was extremely dated there were no bedside tables just holes in the wall where they once used to be. There was only one arm chair to relax with a drink in. It was a double room. My wife hung our clothes in the wardrobe and complained of a musty smell in it. Later I took out the extra pillows from the wardrobe only to have a hard and very dirty and mouldy towel fall to the floor. This was dealt with very promptly and we were given complimentary drinks vouchers for the bar. House keeping lady was extremely apologetic as was Mel from house keeping when she rang our room to apologise. The only saving grace for this hotel was the breakfast which was of a very good standard and appeared to have good quality meats etc.i think the 4star rating is as old as the decor. We recently stayed in a 4 star suite at moor hall hotel(best westen) in sutton Coldfield the management at the copthorne birmingham should take a look at this place to see how 4 star really should be done.... ending on a better note micky flannagan at the nia was brilliant.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank truckmad

Dear truckmad

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you were dissappointed by your stay. I will be discussing your points with my management team to identify how we can improve.

We do review our car parking charges to ensure we are competitive within the city both with other hotels and public car parking facilities. Thank you for your kind words regarding Mel and I am pleased to hear she resolved the situation for you.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed breakfast and of course Micky Flannagan at the NIA.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for a conference. Let me focus first on the good points. Staff were friendly and attentive. Location is excellent. The lunch time conference buffet hot dishes were great. Rooms big enough and clean. The negatives . Well it's on a traffic island so quite noisy. The breakfast was not great as a lot of items in the self service were luke warm. Bar is expensive but you expect that from a hotel in a city centre. TV in the room was a nightmare to work. Only 2 lifts for the whole hotel so long wait sometimes. All in all 4/5 and the better mark was based on the soul of the people who work there , not on the fabric of the building

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Vulture3131

Dear Vulture3131

Thank you for your lovely comments about the hotel, particularly regarding the team here. We work hard to provide the best possible service and it is nice for it to be recognised. Whilst considered to be one of the best locations in the city, we do sometimes experience heavy traffic and my apologies if this disturbed you.

I will look into breakfast as we normally recieve some great comments about this. I do hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Sadly this hotel is past it's sell by date! Drab and in need of a makeover. The staff were great but the room rate was not reflected by the hotel in general. If staying on a Saturday night be careful to ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the clubs....unless you are out there partying!

Room Tip: If wanting a good night's sleep and staying at the weekend, ask for a room on the opposite side...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear 416JaneR

Many thanks for your review and for your lovely comments regarding the team here. We do have an ongoing redecoration programme at the hotel and I hope next time you stay, you will see the changes.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

5 minutes walk from New Street station. Close to most things - business and leisure. Central equates to traffic volume and noise - good double plus glazing but fresh air difficult to get. Very good breakfast

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Tim B

Many thanks for your review and indeed we are very central for the ICC, NIA and Bullring. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed breakfast and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We visited the Hotel for a meeting 29th October and was advised at reception there was no meeting booked.We showed the newspaper advertisement which showed the event in the Birmingham Mail 17th October and after checking the receptionist found the three candiates waiting for lunch in the bar

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear kristanageorge

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and my apologies for the confusion when you arrived at the hotel. This was due to the company holding the meeting not advising us that they had advertised under a different name. I am glad to hear we found your colleagues and you could have your meeting.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a couple of hotels in and around Birmingham in the last six months on business some bad most good.

This hotel was disgusting got there late afternoon check in was straight forward all well so far untill the mouldy lift took me to my floor. As i got the room the stench of stale smoke almost took me out that was before i opened the door..

Got in there to what i can only descibe a freaky 60s theme? The wallpaper was tacky as can be. The bathroom was a sight not to mention the grubby bath toilet etc

i went to go get dinner and came back in the evening i just went straight to sleep or did i... most of the night consisted of an arguing couple in the next room and drunk people running around in the hallway

All in all a complete s*it tip

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Lucy19900

Many thanks for your review. The hotel is completely non smoking and we do make every effort to address any guest who chooses to ignore this policy. I am sorry that you were disturbed overnight, whilst my team do try to minimise any disturbance from other guests, I am sure you can understand the difficulties they face with this.

Kind regards