“Copthorne for Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Markets”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #99 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Copthorne for Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Markets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed here over weekend of 30th November 2013, with Christmas Markets in full swing plus the Birmingham Tattoo was on at the NIA. Check in was ok, friendly welcome, couldn’t find paperwork to start with but no major problem. Gave me a city map on request which was helpful.

Comments by others say hotel is tired so perhaps there are rooms of different conditions as this wasn't my experience. Bedroom was clean, spacious and generally in very good condition. Some minor signs of wear and tear but still very acceptable. Bathroom had shower over bath, with anti-slip bath mat available and a grab rail for those who may need it. Tea/coffee facilities are in room. Hairdryer and trouser press too.

Didn't have evening meal in the hotel but restaurant was open to outside patrons on an oriental style menu, looked pretty good from what I saw. Bar area was fairly spacious with seating areas. Quite slow service at the bar at times. When I went for a drink, only 1 person was serving and was caught up I think with a food order. One other person was getting drinks ready presumably for a private function and the other member of staff was emptying a dishwasher ignoring the waiting customers. Didn't overly worry me as I wasn’t in a rush but many comments were being made by the other customers waiting.

Was surprised on how quiet it was keeping in mind its central location. The windows in my bedroom were 2 layers double-glazed and seemingly effective in my opinion.

Breakfast was normal buffet style to a good standard. Have had better but was still good. Warm plates, plenty of choice. Tea/coffee served to table. Area can get quite busy if coach groups/other customers all turn up at once! The self-service toaster in particular seemed to cause some problems with a pocket of customers waiting for toast. We received very good, friendly service from waiter in the morning. Offered speciality items from a menu (eggs Benedict, kippers, smoked salmon & scrambled eggs etc) which would take 15 minutes to arrive. Eggs (apart from scrambled) were also cooked to order.

Hotel Car Park was £12 for 24 hours, you can make your own mind up what you think about this. Sure it would cost a lot more elsewhere in the city but they could consider including this in their price.

Location is fantastic for the city centre and for the Christmas Markets or the NIA. You walk past the restaurant and out of the side entrance and this goes straight into the Christmas Market in Centenary Square with a number of chalets plus a Ferris wheel and an ice rink. A few minutes in the other direction you come to Victoria Square and New Street with the hub of the Frankfurt Market. This then leads on to the Bullring and main shopping area. The NIA itself is in walking distance for those with average walking ability.

Check out seemed a bit of a lengthy affair with no real organisation or queuing system. But perhaps this is to be expected as it was a peak time for check out and was finally dealt with efficiently and in a friendly manner.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Andy C

Thank you for what is possibly the most useful and informative review I have seen on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and you have made lots of comments which I have shared with my team to ensure we give the best possible service we can.

Thanks again for such constructive comments and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here on business on price mainly. Its centrally located just a short walk from Broad street with a good selection of bars and eateries.
The hotel is quite dated, the rooms are tired and some of the corridor carpets are threadbare. The hotel advertises WIFI in the rooms which is complimentary if you are in certain standard room, however this was not working in the room even with the upgrade. Breakfast is a buffet affair, the cooked selection was not that inviting.
The car park is not very well signposted from the inner ring road and is quite expensive.
Would I stay here again, that would be price dependant but I would not pay for a room upgrade or include the breakfast

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Daveykbrown

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I was pleased to hear you found our location so convenient. I will have our WIFI checked by our suppliers as we provide this service throughout the hotel including all bedroom floors. We have just invested in new buffet equipment for our breakfast and I hope next time you stay you will see the difference.

I do hope to welcome you back soon.

Hull uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here with a very large group (over 70 guests -work). The rooms are dated but clean and spacious. Beds comfortable. Everything you need just could do with modernising. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel overall feels clean and i noticed it always smelled nice :-) The breakfast was a bit of a let down considering this is a 4* hotel. Great location.

Dear katy a

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of replacing the furniture in some of our rooms and i hope next time you stay you will see the difference.

Thanks for your lovely comments regarding the staff which I will pass on to them.

We all look forward to seeing you soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on business. Best way to describe the hotel: imagine a 1970s multi-storey car park that was converted to a hotel in the late 1980s and hadn't been updated since.

Awful, tired, outdated carpets, curtains and furniture.

Single bed, single glass, single mug, no iron or ironing board.

Avoid.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Unewydd
Dear Unewydd

Many thanks for your review and I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations. We are in the process of redocrating our rooms and whilst we do not have any single rooms at the hotel, I can only imaging you stayed in one of our twin rooms.

With best regards

David Lane

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed for two nights, didn't really think it lived up to four star rating. General hotel decor is tired, furniture looking faded, gaffer tape on carpet in places, old marble in bathroom.

However, it was really the little things that I felt let it down - no mini bar just an empty fridge, no tissues in the bathroom, worn out remote where all the buttons had faded so you had to guess what they said, hardly any 24 hour food just a couple of dull sandwich options and the wifi is £5 for 24 hours - these days I really expect it to be in the price. Wouldn't be my first choice in future.

Dear sjs1811

Many thanks for your review and my apologies if we did not live up to your expectations. We are in the process of reviewing our room service menu options and will certainly take your comments on board when I discuss this with my Chef.

Kind regards

Lichfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here for one night as a single traveller. Reception was efficient but not exactly forthcoming. Room was very gloomy, had to remake the bed as it had been made in a very bizarre way! Couldn't connect laptop to internet. Good night's sleep though and very good breakfast.

Dear Juliastravels83

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and my apologies if you felt the bed had been made in a strange way. We do have lots of comments about our comfy beds and I am glad you got a good nights sleep. Thanks also for your kinds words about breakfast.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Location is very convenient for Birmingham City Centre however parking and getting to it was a little problematic. Room was nice with good views of the city which was nice. Restaurant is Singaporian/Malaysian which was different and good. Service levels from all staff was excellent. Was hugely disappointed with Gym/Health Club facilities though. Was expecting a well equipped gym but found a small room at the end of a corridor tucked away with a few old machines and some weights. Not the best by any means but I guess it did the job.

Dear Paul H

Many thanks for your reviw and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed, we are very well located for all the central attractions Birmingham has to offer.

It was good to hear you enjoyed Bugis Street, our Singaporean and Chinese Restaurant and I hope we can all welcome you back very soon.