“Christmas markets 2013”

Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bradford w.yorks
“Christmas markets 2013”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Oh dear what a difference 1 year makes. We stayed at this Hotel last year, and found it to be great, but alas this year was not as good. Although last year, some idiot set the fire alarm off in the early hours of the morning, thank god that did not happen this time.

To start with the check in staff were great no problems there really nice and friendly. The room we were given last year, had a fabulous view of the big wheel, this year we were over looking the back looking down on a yard, with a few cars in it. The carpet in our room 408, was you could only call it thread bare, not what you expect from a 4 star hotel. I could go really into detail of the rest of the room, but when all said and done we were only staying one night. But in contrast to last year, this room was very disappointing.

The location of this hotel is 2nd to none, it is perfect for the Christmas Markets, the shops on new street, and a pleasant walk through the German markets to the Famous Bull Ring at the bottom of the road. There is also an ice skating ring, and the big wheel, and on a night time the Christmas trees and lights really put you in the mood.

In the night I was in a need for a drink of water, due to being diabetic, the water in the taps are not very cold, so you are not sure how long the water had been in the pipes. I went into reception and looked around for a vending machine to buy a bottle of water, but alas no machine. I inquired at reception where I could purchase a bottle, and they told me that I could buy 1 from the bar, and take it to my room. The bottle was a 1 liter bottle of spring water for a cool £3.95, me being a careful Yorkshire man, nearly fell over, but needs must I paid what felt like a Kings ransom.

Break fast the next day, I can appreciate that the Hotel was extremely busy being Christmas, but when we got to the waiting point, there was only 6 people in front of us, and they were waiting for a table for 6. They cleared a table for 6 in a very nice position at the back of the restaurant, but failed to think, there was a disabled lady in a powered wheel chair, and although they have a ramp, down into the restaurant there is no ramp up to the seating area, where they were putting them. They then had to clear another table where the lady could easily access.

The disappointing fact was there was only 3 people clearing tables, and seating the guests, which on a busy morning was grossly under staffed. There were at least 8 tables where guests had finished, but the tables were covered with their dirty pots. Then I looked behind me and the queue for breakfast was nearly past the bar.

When we got seated it's a buffet type breakfast, and there was an excellent choice of breakfast, continental or traditional English, with fruit juices, fresh fruit etc. The waiter's / waitresses serve you either fresh coffee or tea to your table, but the waiter forgot to deliver ours, and we had nearly finished our breakfast, when we chased him up, which he did apologize unconditionally. Finally, what was worrying the breakfast staff were clearly over worked, and they did put their heart and sole into the job. This was clearly too much for a little oriental girl who collapsed whilst carrying a load of plates, and went crashing to the ground. They helped the girl into the Kitchen, and then as if by magic there was five waiters / waitresses.

Overall we did have a great weekend, but in comparison to last year, not as comfortable a stay as last year.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the big wheel, because the room was very nice as well.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear probes

Thank you for your review and my apologies for the slow service at breakfast. We did indeed experience a busy period at breakfast when you stayed and whilst we make every effort to ensure we have adequate staffing on, this did catch us by suprise. Our manning levels have since been reviewed and I am sure you will see by other reviews that we generally get some good feedback regarding our breakfast.

I am pleased to hear that overall you did enjoy your weekend and hope we welcome you back again soon.

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Just returned after a fabulous week-end staying for a family wedding.Check in super quick!!!. Room warm, spacious all we needed with a lovely view of the market and Birmingham. Staff friendly,helpful and if you need anything extra? tea,coffee,clean towels readily available.Parking available on site,or directly opposite and cheap.For a 4 star hotel,right in the heart of the city the price very competitive.

Room Tip: We were top floor,very quiet and in a club double.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Jan F

Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your weekend and the family wedding.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had a lovely stay here on a business trip. On arrival check in took less than a minute. They had upgraded me to the Weller Suite without being asked! (Perhaps because I had booked via their own website, which has good deals on it). It was a wonderful space to work and then relax, with free internet at the desk, a separate large living area, huge bedroom and bathroom with big corner bath and powerful shower; fluffy bathrobes, all spotless. Room too hot but I turned down radiators and opened the window in the living room - fresh air without noise in the bedroom. Maybe the suite has been redecorated recently but it was cosy and so welcoming. The breakfast was plentiful with a lot of variety. The best bit was finding that the huge Christmas market is on the doorstep as one comes out of the restaurant! It was such an unexpected treat to walk along the Xmas stalls with a delicious Balti Chicken Tikka wrap - best of British! Birmingham has such friendly locals that I am looking forward to my next trip there and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Just make sure you ask for a refurbished room...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear AK2706

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and made full use of the Christmas Market outside of the Hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Birmingham.

Thanks again

Salisbury
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed her 7th Dec for 2 night for Xmas market. Hotel obviously aware that rooms etc are too hot as fans were supplied! Room was clean and functional. Bathroom very dated.we paid full price for our room and expected more. Parking was a nightmare very few spaces but little tip,park over road in multi storey car park it was cheaper than if we had got into hotel car park £17 instead of £24.
Breakfast was good but the set up was ridiculous in a confined space so people waiting for toast while others trying to get hot plates for food. On a positive note the food in the Chinese/Malaysian restaurant was lovely.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear poshpawsSalisbury

Many thanks for your review and my apologies if you found parking the car difficult, we do have parking spaces for 70 cars and provide these on a first come first served basis. Indeed there is a multi storey car park a short walk away which can be used if we are full.

Thank you for your kind comments about breakfast and Bugis Street Brasserie and I will discuss with my Food and Beverage Manager how we can improve the flow of people around the buffet.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Perfectly functional and clean but needs a bit of a refurb. Other hotels in a similar price bracket are much more modern inside and a result, I would probably choose them instead. Pluses: helpful, accommodating staff, good breakfast.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear 1983Lucy

Many thanks for your review and for your lovely comments regarding the team here and breakfast. We continue our ongoing redecoration programme and I hope next time you stay, you will see some changes.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Upon arrival, the room was prepaid but told on check in not paid. Showed receipt, but receptionist insists of taking payment. Asked about the free WiFi advertised but told all internet chargeable. Checked into room and we felt like we've travelled back into the 60s. Old and tired. Only 1 towel put in room. Kettle not working and the drip tray has not been cleaned for a long time.when rang to the reception about the towel, was told will send some to room. When the Duty Manager arrived at the room, he handled the kettle issue very well and explained where to find additional towels in the room. When turned on the bath tap, lots of black bits came out of it. Ended up taking shower instead. On departure, asked receptionist about the double charge and was told it was only a pre-auth on check in. ????? To top it off, no apology was offered for the mistake. 4 stars hotel??? Really??? A disgrace to the chain. We stayed with the same chain elsewhere in the world and this is by far...the worst.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Social_Stranger

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and my apologies if your stay did not live up to your expectations. I was pleased to hear that my Duty Manager resolved your queries quickly and with minimal disruption. We do ask our guests to leave a pre-authorisation via a credit card to enable you to charge items to your room as is standard in most hotels in the UK and my apologies if this was not made clear to you.

Kind regards

David Lane

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and i have just returned from Birmingham after staying in this hotel for one night to visit the Christmas market.
Hotel is perfect for this purpose as a base.
Check in and parking good,club rooms on second floor okay but in general desperately need modernisation,the bed was poor for a good nights sleep you roll into the middle,bathroom tired,threadbare carpets.
The shower was good,and so was the food and service in the chinese restaurant.
We paid £39 for a standard room and got a free upgrade to a club room,if i had paid full price i would not have been happy at all.
Average hotel that does not have 4* rooms on the second floor in my experience but for £39 its okay.

Room Tip: Room 208 has a poor bed but a good shower.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Gary F

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, indeed our location is ideal for the German Market which is situated directly outside the property.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the food and service in Bugis Street Brasserie which I will pass on to the team. We do have an ongoing redocoration programme and I hope if you stay again in the future you will see some changes.

Kind regards